Historical War Militaria Forum
J`ame

Helmut Weitze update

Was not sure where to post this,I just saw Weitze most recent update.....made me slobber and pant,wow some rare items listed.So much so I am going to talk to my banker on Monday because if I can I am going to own the German Order Cross 1st class with swords he listed.

Best of luck.  Did he share what the price was?  That would be quite the investment, something that you must truly love because I don't think you would be able to sell for what he is probably asking for it. 

An impressive piece to be sure.

Best of Luck.

JustinG

At this time I am organizing my funds to make sure I can be a serious buyer,don't want to be a Looky Lou in the dealers mind.So I have not asked the price yet.I sat down after the excitement within me settled down and came up with a top price I am willing to pay.Friends this is one of 2 of my medal holy grail. The bank is willing to lend me a nice sum against my collateral provided and now discussing with the wife the financials.Thankfully she is a dear sweet lady and knows this is very important acquisition for me.

You all here must know the high and lows I am going through right now.So very rare!! Weitze I feel can be trusted otherwise I would not be interested.The marbles in my head are rolling around in a illogical manner wondering how can this be available and wondering is it a piece that was surplus or a period museum item,then there is that elusive one that Grand Admiral Doenitz  claimed that he was awarded.Yes my collector friends I am scattered a wee bit......forgive me for rambling a bit.

I would like to stop you right there. When I was stationed in Sennelager Paderborn I got out and about and did a bit of networking with the locals. One in particular stated that he had a bent RK but he had a visit from one of Weitzes clowns that search for him. The lad pointed out that it was bent but very good and the 'picker' stated words to the effect 'don't worry it will be original by the time we sell it'. I don't rate Mr Weitze or any of his monkeys.

Second, I do understand your position but be aware in 20 or 30 years from now when I will certainly be dead and most of the other people that collect from my era too, you would struggle to get your money back so don't do it for investment because you will loose.

After these statements if you still need it then get it in the hand before you buy it as 'Weitze' is not a garuntee. I imagine these are so rare it would be dificult to get a comparison? Good luck!!

Rich

Richard thank you I hear your words,did not know that about  Mr Weitze......big sigh. I am not going into this stupidly that is why I have not popped on it by now.Frankly,with the sum that is going to most likely being asked,I will require an escrow or such he would be willing to agree to.  I do not collect for the money,when my name is called my son gets what he wants and there are a few close long time collector friends who will get to buy some select items and the rest of the collection is being donated to a Military museum here in the States. 

I do appreciate your watching out for a fellow collector and applaud your forthrightness!

I keep getting banned for my 'forthrightness' on WAF but it is easy to get back on. 

If you must have it then you must, what are your terms of reference then? 

I assume there is a fairly limited online and hard text refference available about this item, how does it measure up in you experience, compaired to accepted original items, has it got any provenance?

Rich

I just popped across to look, I think the key thing to take away from his site is that in 6 months it is yours with no return possible. Six months may seem a long time but look at the Champagne Sticker incident and it only takes some one to say it is wrong and that doubt is enough. I wish you luck. Really.

Rich

Friends I did my due diligence over the week(I am exhausted 🙃 ) ,even considered flying to Germany and have a hands on look.....however, decided not to pop on this.After talking to a couple of long time friends who have more knowledge than I of this medal,also talked to a couple of museum curators.Coupled with his latest update,my suspicions rose. He has posted too much rare stuff in recent weeks and could not find any source of information about any major collection being sold.....all has made me feel quezzy.The search continues.

Well I don't know who your friends are but I have had a good long look at the pictures too and it was awarded in 1942. That is still early days in the war and all high status awards were manufactured to the highest standard. So the highest award bestowed by the Third Riech in this case seems to lack the quality and detail one would expect. In particular the uneven finish of the arms at the bottom. The gold does not seem to have weathered well to say it is on Bronze, normally it seems to last better. The centre looks to be based on a Fuess GPB but with only the rim available to see it is hard to say, just lacking what one would expect?? Museum quality filler? Perhaps. Glad you have applied the safety catch! Perhaps it is ok but it would need some very reliable provenance. I expect this is not pocket money either!!

Rich

Richard, it took me a while to climb out of the clouds and land on my feet.I never buy blind,learned my lesson back in the 1970's on knee jerk purchases.Sorry for the early enthusiasm,I am still a giddy kid at times. I have to admit I enjoyed the high when he first posted it.Collecting militaria has become such a mine field these days.My want list is down to the very rare and very faked.

I have given up on very rare and now enjoy what ever I can find that is not fake. Now and then I get the odd bit of rare stuff but not often and that I am afraid is the reallity of our hobby, there is less and less to discover. Of course we have different styles I like to find it at source not at dealers but then I am lucky that I can do that and I apreciate not everyone can. I expect though soon there will be a lot on the market as earlier generations start to sell up you can see this starting to happen on WAF on the sales board, perhaps that is an area you could explore, there will definatley be bargains to be had there in the next few years. Assuming of course the site does not implode as the server fails?

Some higher force must be amusing itself messing with my head ....a 3rd Class German Order is now for sale at emedals.

This guy knows his stuff and helped me out with my GPB when I needed direction: 

http://pages.interlog.com/~sjl/GPB/25fuess.html

Your emedals looks much brighter made by Duemer with parts from Fuess but then while the H and I are almost there the dash is not right?

If there was colaberation it may have been recorded somewhere? 

Like I say the chap that has the above site knows his stuff perhaps he can at least confirm or deny the centre of the cross? That might be a start?

For $22,27 its a bargain, then I seen the extra 5 LOL.

Rich

Rich,thanks for your continued input.I have had the site you posted bookmarked for a while....but you know what?It never occurred to me to get an opinion as you have suggested,many thanks for that suggestion.