Historical War Militaria Forum
Richard Auld

Essel Bridge Battle South of Fallingbostel

Guys,

This short engagement was recorded in the Ulrich Saft book Kriege in der heimat.

These photos were taken post war by a young boy that used to play on the wrecked tanks, what a play ground he had!

He is now in his 80s and has recently rediscovered these pictures taken before 1949 but after the war.

It shows two of the tanks from the battle although he tells me there were 3 British tanks in a row in column of march and they were destroyed on the North South road that goes past the Hotel Kroepke which is still there today. those tanks were on the road circa 3 to 400m South of the hotel just before the slight bend in the road.

The Tiger was further South and I will confirm the locations later.

The flak was to the North East of the road described above.

The old boy (Albert) has offered to walk the locations with me but he is not in the best of health. I will do it as soon as I and he can.

Rich

Please login or register to see this attachment.

It is documented in the book Krieg in der Heimat (zwischen Weser und Elbe) by Ulrich Saft.

It was engaged and destroyed by a Comet with 6 pounder, starting a fire causing the crew to abandon the tank, later taken prisoner, I understand from the book.

The Sgt that got the kill also was decorated too.

Best

Rich

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.