Historical War Militaria Forum

I picked this picture up a few weeks ago. The name Reinhold written above one of the men in the picture and a location with date written on the back (France 1942) caught my attention. Did a search on the name Reinhold in the Luftwaffe.  Three names came up. Reinhold Hoffmann , Reinhold Knacke and Reinhold Eckardt . I do not think it is Hoffmann, he was based on the Eastern front at the beginning of 1942 and stayed there until 1944. I do not think it is Knacke  because his hair was darker and his face shorter than the Reinhold in the picture. So that leaves Eckardt. I looked at a few pictures of Eckardt comparing hair line, the way it is parted  with the front combed back , face length and ear shape with the Reinhold in my picture. They look like a match to me. I would like some opinions, thoughts, expertise from those who would know. Thanks for any help.SCAN0003.JPG.fb8125b1dab474ede6478fc6e2ff8d4e.JPG

Please login or register to see this attachment.

You will notice the photo above, there doesn't appear to be any Narvik shield on him. But he has it prominent in the photo of Reinhold Eckardt. This could also be a Reinholdt.  I love how you tried to do your own research before.  Could you share the source of your references?   The campaign shields were symbols of honor, I can't imagine that anyone would choose not to have that shield prominently displayed on every service uniform.  This is just my observation.

Thanks,

JustinG

I agree about the Narvik shield.  I could only find four pics of Eckardt, the one already posted and three more. Sadly neither of the other ones show much of the left upper arm area where the shield would be. Although on one you would think you would be able to see the edge of the shield, but maybe it is farther back on the sleeve.  As far as my "research", I went to www.luftwaffe.cz  and www.findagrave.com   Not much at either one. A pic or two and short bio. The luftwaffe site does have a list of kills with locations and dates. I have added two pics of Eckardt that I found. The fourth was a straight on shot ,not showing the upper arms at all.808780619_Eckardt2.jpg.ed97789e0682620b29193128419bb4a3.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.