Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Toni Abram

Jeremiah Maloney: Northamptonshire Regiment

Guest Toni Abram

Hello

I have not been here before, so  hope it is okay to post the following.

A relative in Australia has recently given me a photo of a man I believe to be Jeremiah/Jirimiah Maloney of Northamptonshire. I have posted the photo below and hopefully you will be able to see this.

120924100_10224116197914045_2821501427794747910_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=pxMWrWo2KY8AX_H8qSn&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr2-2.fna&oh=8054e19f3fe75f3bad6214a63329955e&oe=5FA61A7D

I believe the badge on the turban is that of the Northamptonshire Regiment and having done some digging, I believe that the information below relates to the man in the photo. He appears to have served in the 3rd Northamptonshire battalion in 1902, being sent to South Africa and previously in the fourth battalion? I understand that both were part-time (reserve) regiments, so he would have still been able to do his regular job.

If there is anyone here who can help me learn more about Jeremiah, where and why the photo might have been taken or the regiment, I would very much love to here from you.

Service number 6568

Regiment Northamptonshire Regiment

Year1902

Attestation date12 Mar 1902

Attestation age years 31

Attestation service number 6568

Attestation corps3rd Northamptonshire

Document type Attestation

Series Wo 96 - Militia Service Records 1806-1915

Archive

The National Archives

Archive reference WO 96

Box851

Box record number286

Record set British Army Service Records

Category Military, armed forces & conflict

Subcategory Regimental & Service Records

Collections from Great Britain, England

Well, you or someone else has done a bit of research into this.  I would say that this would have been taken while in service while serving in the Northwest Frontier Provence (modern day Pakistan)  Hence the Turbin hat being worn.  This is an extremely well preserved photograph from this period.  Thanks for sharing.  Unfortunately, I don't know if anything else could be added.   You have seemed to source the British Military records quite extensively.  Perhaps figuring out what commendations he would have earned?  The Aiguillette on the shoulder is likely a golden color as per the regulations found on Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aiguillette#United_Kingdom 

Great photo and great bit of research. 

Cheers,

JustinG

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this