Historical War Militaria Forum

Hello all,

A friend of mine from Canada is desperately trying to find information regarding his great uncle from WW2. We only have a single page of his Soldbuch passed down by his father. He did hear as a boy that his great uncle was potentially in the Waffen SS but obviously the Soldbuch, from just before the war doesn't reflect direct enlistment. 

So far we have found records of a young gefreiter with the same name who was heavily wounded near Leningrad in April, later dying of his wounds. We believe that this is not the same man as his erkennungsmarke does not match.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in trying to determine his unit, potential SS membership and his ultimate fate.

Thanks in advance

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

If that is all you have I am afraid the chances of finding his service details are very slim from using the internet. However, if your friend has his date of birth then he can contact the Bundesarchiv and request a copy of his personnel file details if it still exists:

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Content/Artikel/Artikel-ausserhalb-der-Navigation/Hinweise-milit-Unterlagen-persbez/benutzen-hinweise-militaerische-unterlagen-persbezogen-en.html

P.S. That is a page from his Wehrpass, not Soldbuch.

It is hard to make out. His first issued EKM has been crossed out and I can not see the issuing unit and the second one looks like it has been issued by the HQ of the 3rd Battalion of Infantry Regiment 410 (122nd Infantry Division) - Stab III/Infanterie-Regiment 410 (122.Infanterie-Division).

Bundesarchiv have the database for EKM's.

No, the Wehrpass was issued by Wehrbezirkskommando Köln - basically the regional recruiting office. The unit he served in first would of been the one to issue the EKM. For some reason the first EKM was cancelled out and the unit he would of been serving with at the time issued another one. He served in the Heer at least up until that point.

So I see the 410/2 is in reference to the regiment but what is the /2 ? I want to assume its the company within the regiment but would like to have that verified as opposed to guessing.

It is still too hard to make out but the first unit that issued an EKM was Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon(?) 51 (might be 61 but could be something else). I.E.R-51 were formed in Liegnitz and initially used to train replacements for 18.Infanterie-Division then reformed in Gorlitz while I.E.R-61 were formed in München and initially used to train replacements for 7.Infanterie-Division.

I.E.R-51 http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/InfErsBat/InfErsBat51-R.htm

I.E.R-61 http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/InfErsBat/InfErsBat61-R.htm

The '2' would usually be his number in the Kreigsstammrollen/Ranglisten Nr held by the unit. Without the rest of the Wehrpass there is no further information to be gained from page 1 & 2 except that the mention of Infanterie-Regiment 410 would date that entry for around or before October 1942 as after then it was renamed as a Grenadier-Regiment. You'll need to contact the Bundesarchiv to see if they have anything else.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.