Historical War Militaria Forum
Panzer vorwärts!

Post your "Großdeutschland" related Soldbücher and Wehrpäße

Four years ago I managed to get this citation set for an officer who reached the rank of Major and served in Pz.Rgt GD in 1943.. Hermann Fischer

At the same time the owner of his Soldbuch was seeking the citations to go with what he had, having had the SB for at least 2 years at that point. In the end we traded scans so we had copies of what the other had.

And then a couple of weeks ago, completely out of the blue, the owner of Hermann Fischer's Soldbuch & various licenses emailed me letting me know that he was letting it go and gave me first refusal. Needless to say I snapped it up and today it arrived to finally be reunited with the citations after who knows how long apart. 

Before the war Fischer served with 2./Pz.Rgt 8 and when the Soldbuch was opened in August 1939 he was serving with Pz.Abw.Abt 27. He would go on to serve with Artillerie Rgt 27 and then Pz.Rgt 203 which was then used to enlarge Pz.Abt GD into a Regiment and he served in Stab/Pz.Rgt GD from January/February 1943 to around December of that year as a Major. By this stage he had won the KvK II Kl mit Schw while with Pz.Abw.Abt 27, the EK II with Pz.Rgt 203 and the PAB Silber & EK I while with GD.

After leaving GD Fischer went on to serve with Quartiermeister West, Heeres-Gruppe G and Technische Lehrgang 'Tiger'.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Along with the Soldbuch was a number of Licenses and his post war idntity cards and passes.

The Militär-Führerschein was issued pre-war while Fischer served with Pz.Rgt 8 and contains a nice photo of him wearing epaulettes showing the unit number. An extra page was added in April 1943 and bears the signature of the commanding officer of Pz.Rgt GD - the Panzer Count, Hyazinth Graf Strachwitz. On the reverse it bears the signature of Major Dallmer-Zerbe.

The Militär-Fahrlehrerschein was opened in 1937 by the authority of Gneralkommando III Armeekorps, and again it bears the signature of Dallmer-Zerbe - as an Oberstleutnant - and on the reverse it again bears the signature of the Panzer Count.

As well as what is shown here the grouping also includes his pre-war issued passport, a post-war bicycle license and an identity card.

• Like 1

A GD soldbuch I added to my collection recently, belonging to Heinz Felke, died  10/9/45.

Heinz served with the 23rd infantry Division, then to the 26th Panzer Division that was formed from the 23rd. In Sept. 1944 he was with Nach Ers Abt 3 in Potsdam, suffering from digestive problems. In late January 1945 he was transferred the Ers. Brigade GD.  Heinz was later attached to the artillery regiment of the Fuhrer Grenadier Division, active on the Eastern front.

For whatever reason he went back to the now renamed Panzer Verband Grossdeutschland, active with Pz Nach. Ausb. Abt GD in northern Germany. They saw heavy combat with the Western Allies.

No hospital code is given for the reason he was admitted to the hospital in June 1945 but he died in September 1945.  The only award in the soldbuch is the Winter War 41/42 Medal and no photo was ever attached.

Hi Kevin,

That is a reunion every collector and researcher dreams about.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Lee,

Thank you for showing your GD Soldbuch from your collection to this GD thread.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Latest addition to my GD collection is this Soldbuch & Führerschein to a soldier who served in 4./Heeres-Flakart.Abt GD from 1942 until his wounding in March 1944 while GD were retreating to the Bug River. The only award he won was the Wound Badge in Black which was for the March wounding. After serving for a time in GD's training & replacement organisation he was assigned to a support company in the Führer-Grenadier-Brigade.

The first signature on Page 3 is that of Karl Ruppersberg who won the DKiG & Ehrenblattspange before being killed in action in January 1944.

Hi Kevin,

That is another nice addition to your GD collection.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Another recent addition - and the 26th GD related item - to join my collection is this Soldbuch set to a soldier who served with Pz.Jäg.Abt (Sfl) 643 during the early years of the war. He won the EK II & PAB Silber for the fighting during the 1940 Western Campaign.

Components of Pz.Jäg.Abt 643 were transferred over to GD in 1942 to form Pz.Jäg.Abt GD when the unit was upgraded to a motorised Infantry Division. However, Kreier was transferred into the 18 Kompanie of Infanterie-Regiment GD 1 which was the Pz.Jäger Kompanie of the regiment, the designation being 18.(Pz.Jäg.Sfl)/IR GD 1.

Kreier remained with GD for the majority of the war but the last unit entry places him in Festung Breslau with the unit noted as Btl Greger/Regiment Besslein 3.Kp and the only entry on the Lazarett pages (even though he won the Wound Badge in Black in October 1941) has him wounded on 28th April 1945 in Breslau.

In addition to the EK II & PAB Silber, Kreier also won the Black Wound Badge, Ost Medal, EK I & Drivers Badge in Silver. Unfortunately there has never been a photo in the Soldbuch but there is a photo of Kreier in his Reisepass.

The two main signatures seen in the Soldbuch are those of Karl Plange who won the DKiG and that of Clemens Summer who transferred over with elements of Pz.Jäg.Abt (Sfl) 643 and who won the Knights Cross & DKiG while with GD.

The Führerschein shows the signature of the Abt-Kdr with a surname that looks like 'Rolf' or 'Roth' but I have yet to find out any further information about him.

Hi Kevin,

Another nice catch for your GD collection you made - and show us here.

Although the Soldbuch is without a photo and never had one, it is really great to have a face to it by having the man's Reisepass.

With a face to it the grouping gets so much more alive and personal.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hi Guys

I found this late Wehrpass in Kassel.Very young Soldier (18 y) from Pz Pion Btl GD.

Interesting item. A late comer to the war and his introduction to it is the intense fighting in East Prussia when Pz.Pi.Btl GD rarely fought as a whole unit, instead fighting as squads attached to other units!

A nice late war GD Wehrpaß that is shown in this thread.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Guys, thanks alot for taking the time to post all these exclusive documents. It took me a long time to read and examine all, but it was really woth the effort.

Again, THANKS for sharing these information.

Hans Kristian

Another GD example but a little different this time as it is a Soldbuch to a Wehrmachtbeamte, in this case an Oberzahlmeister who joined V/Pz.Gren.Rgt GD. This was in fact a cover name for the Führer-Begleit-Brigade in late 1944.

A Wehrpass to a Kanonier in the Stabsbatterie of II.(Sf)/Panzer-Artillerie-Regiment GD which was equipped with the Hummel.

Apart from one month with the Feldersatz Btl GD, Gehrke only spent 3 months in the front line before he was killed at a village called Zahorna, which is near Jassy in Romania, on 8th June 1944.

Hi Kevin,

Another nice one for your ever growing Großdeutschland collection, and a real GD soldier from the beginning till the end.

The Hummel is an interesting piece of equipment.

The young man's death notice is a nice document to go with the Wehrpaß.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Latest addition to the GD collection is this Soldbuch to a member who started the war in Wachbataillon 631 (which I believe was used to guard OKH) and was then transferred to 2./IR GD when that regiment was being formed in late 1939/early 1940.

It seems that he was wounded in the early years of the war and then spent the remainder of the war in GD's training & replacement units.

Something I have never seen before is that all the awards have been entered on the same day, by the same person. While this would tend to raise a red flag for originality the signature for all the entries is genuine as I recognise it from other GD items (such as on the awards page here... Schmidt ) so it just seems like a major piece of admin catch-up. What is a pity is that due to this it is not possible to know when the awards were actually won, although as he won the Ost Medal he was with GD during the winter fighting near Tula in 1941. He won the Ost Medal, Black Wound Badge, EK II & Infantry Assault Badge in Bronze.

Of the signatures in the Soldbuch, the only one to have won any high award is that of Karl Ritter von Felbinger who won the Ehrenblattspange. His signature is seen at the bottom of page 15.

• Like 2

Hi Kevin,

Nice early first issue Soldbuch, and for a long time GD soldier.

Interesting as I have never seen that awards were entered like that, but it all does look original to me.

Here one sees between every award the same date, while other versions - most often a replacement booklet - did show all awards entered and at the end - a date - rank - signature and stamp

Thank you for showing us your latest GD acquisition.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Latest addition to my GD collection is this Soldbuch to Obergefreiter Wolfgang Schmauser who served in 10./Pz.Art.Rgt GD, this battery being the Werfer battery in the regiment and was established in 1943. Schmauser was awarded the EK II in 1943 and this award entry, as well as the first entry on the leave page, is signed by Hans Wendland who won the DKiG.

The Soldbuch also has a nice photo of Schmauser clearly showing the GD embroidered cyphers on his epaulettes.

Hi Kevin,

Indeed a nice pass-photo of your man in that Soldbuch showing the GD embroidered cyphers on his epaulettes.

He was lucky enough to be able to sit-out the war in hospital.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Very nice photo as Eric says,and superb soldbuch!

Incredible collection...i have no words,Kevin.

Congrats and thanks for showing us not only these SB,but also others of your collection.

Kevin, I can't imaging there are still SB/WP around with you adding all these amazing historical documents to your dedicated GD collection.

• Like 1

Here is a GD related id that I really like, he managed to make it out of the Halbe Pocket. 

According to page 23 he had Einsatz Urlaub in Jan. 1945, maybe part of a Kampfgruppe while attached to Pz Jg Ers u Ausb Abt 6?

The soldbuch really wasn't updated at all, just one pay entry from his original training batl. , only equipment entered was early 1944, the last security check was 1/9/1944 by  Land. Sch. Batl 254.   Also a ration entry on page 14 dated 31/5/45.

No awards or hospital stays either.  I guess to Winkelmann that doesn't matter, he survived the war!

• Like 1

No awards or hospital stays either.  I guess to Winkelmann that doesn't matter, he survived the war!

Lee,

Thank your for showing your man's Soldbuch, always an extra bonus to have the Erkennungsmarke together with the booklet.

"No awards or hospital stays either. I guess to Winkelmann that doesn't matter, he survived the war!"

I think that you are right about that Lee, and I can only second that.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.