Historical War Militaria Forum
Robert S.

Show us your early war (pre-Barbarossa) KIA Wehrpass/Soldbuch

Not the earliest, but quite a rare Wehrpass!

Albert Schäfer served with 1. MG. Btl. 2 and was KIA 11.05.1940 in Luxembourg (!)

If any of you can help me find casualty numbers for the German Invasion of Luxembourg, that would be great, but I don't think such numbers actually exist.

Many thanks to Kevin H. for giving me a heads up on this Wehrpass :)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

You might have to access the archive files for the relevant Armee or Korps that went through Luxembourg to see if they list casualty numbers although I'm not sure that they would be broken down into what country they occurred in, most probably by unit if they exist.

• Like 1

Thank you, Paulus_Gun :)

I actually contacted Volksbund about this in september last year, and they sent me a reply yesterday.

Unforgenantly, I worded my request a bit clumsily, however I got the following numbers for the 2 German War Cemetaries in Luxembourg:

Sanweiler: 202 German soldiers which died in May 1940 are buried there.

Clausen: 7 German soldiers buried with deathdates in May 1940.

Hello,

Here is Wehrpass of the first model handed in September, 1936 to Willi Möller while he carried out a military period, reason of his photo in uniform on this Wehrpass.

The holder of this document carried out a military period from November, 1935 till September, 1936 within the IR 46 (visible number on the shoulder of his photo). He was mobilized in August, 1939 and participated at the beginning of the campaign of Poland within the IR 26, unit of 30. ID.

The list of the fights which appears on the page 32 was not thoughtlessly established but is the fruit of an order of January, 1940 of the OKH which specifies the registrations to be brought for the campaign of Poland, this according to the various army corps. 30. ID were a part of the AOK 8 and the registrations brought on the page 32 are specific to this big unit (Bzura and Rawka are rivers of Poland).

Willi Möller fell to the fight on September 10th, 1939. Thus he will not have seen the victorious end of this campaign.

He rests in the cemetery of Mlawka in Poland. Here is the registration of the site of Volksbund.

For information, this campaign cost approximately 16'000 deaths to the German army. Here is the detail for only two AOK committed in this campaign.

Cordial greetings.

Polux

• Like 2

It has been a while since this thread was updated so here is my latest item. Wehrpass and Flugbouch to a Fliegerschutzen in 7./KG-3 who was killed on the very first day of the 1940 Western Campaign on what was his very first operational flight. He was flying in a Dornier-17 when it was shot down by French fighters on 10th May. He and one other crewman were killed while two others, including the pilot, baled out and were captured.

The memorial card is signed by Knights Cross winner Ernst-Wilhelm Ihrig.

461064138_Metz002.jpg.94b17cc42bc492fbc9a9143ff43f3d40.jpg1393741587_Metz003.jpg.a5c07ccf52f08ee1b58f42c704bf3eb9.jpg563168621_Metz007.jpg.04e671ab708ff4a96b9e13a6ddb07e2d.jpg673201123_Metz009.jpg.7d3a223e8ec88bc059739576737fd12b.jpgR1.jpg.8079638efdf5135b41cef130d4a0c527.jpgR2.jpg.d508cd6872f7e28a751bfae1a2b4ffc5.jpg

Latest addition and one I am very pleased with is this Soldbuch to an eventual Staffelkapitän in II/JG-2 who was shot down and killed during the Battle of Britain. There remains a degree of doubt as to the British unit that shot him down but it is believed to of been 602 Squadron with the Me-109 crashing in to the English Channel. The Operations Log Book and Combat Reports for 602 Squadron do show a single claim for a Me-109 on the day he was killed and it would appear that the pilot who made the claim was Flight Lieutenant Floyd who led Blue Section and would go on to make 21 kills during his wartime career and win the DFC & DSO.

Although he went down in to the English Channel in September 1940, I would imagine to begin with his comrades might of been unaware of what happened to him. Even if they saw him go down they might of hoped he was picked up by the British and made a PoW. However, a full 15 months after the crash they then went back to the Soldbuch and filled in the details when no confirmation of him being made a PoW was received. 

The signatures seen are:

Page 2 - Karl-Heinz Griesert who won the DKiG and made 34 kills before being killed in 1942.

Page 22 - Erich Rudorffer - who won the Knights Cross & Swords and made 224 kills.

Page 23 - Edgar Rempel - made 4 kills and killed in August 1940.

1306027972_Screenshot2019-09-2510_54.jpg.7a9cce3b0da558f9369356650a70f738.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.