Historical War Militaria Forum

Here is a grouping that I bought last year to a member of Pz.Jäg.Abt 92 of the 20 Panzer Division. Otto Freitag joined 20 PD upon its forming in October 1940 and remained with Pz.Jäger.Abt 92 for the rest of the war during which it fought entirely on the Eastern front, primarily with Heeresgruppe Mitte but towards the final year of the war it was moved to various fronts in attempts to shore up the German defences. Not only did he stay with Pz.Jäger.Abt 92 but he also remainded with 2 Kompanie throughout.
20 PD participated in the major battles of encirclement in the summe rof 1941 and was also involved in the drive towards Moscow, before the Soviet counter-offensive drove them back.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

20 PD spent all of 1942 with HG Mitte and was with the Army Group for the Kursk Offensive in July 1943, being a component of Model's 9 Armee on the northern flank. After the failure of that offensive - where the northern flank made only very limited gains - 20 PD spent the remainder of 1943 fighting defensively against the Russian offensives that pushed the Germans back with Pz.Jäger.Abt 92 being used in Kampfgruppe Breidenbach fighting in the Vitebsk area.

In May 1944 Pz.Jäger.Abt 92 was re-equipped with Jagdpanzer IV at the Mielau (Mlawa) training area. While the majority of 20 PD was caught up in the massive Russian summer offensive in 1944 that destroyed Heeresgruppe Mitte (and which saw the division having to escape from encirclement at Bobruisk) Pz.Jäg.Abt 92 was still at the training area and wasn't sent to the front until 2nd July when it was assigned to 7 Pz.Division near Minsk. During the retreat 20 PD became a panzer division in name only, suffering massive losses in personnel and equipment. To recover it was sent to Romania where the Pz.Rgt 21 (although by now just a Pz.Abt) was seconded to the Romanian Army as a training & instructional unit. Once again, 20 PD was in the wrong place at the wrong time and was caught up in the Russian offensive into Romania, although during this period Pz.Jäger 92 wasn't with its parent division, not rejoining 20 PD until October 1944.

As can be seen from the SB, by this time Freitag had won the Asault Badge (1942), EK II (1943), Black Wound Badge (1943) with the KvK II Kl mit Schwertern to come in 1945.

In the SB there may - or may not - be two signatures of holders of the Ehrenblattspange and DKiG. At the top of Page 15 there is a signature dated August 1943 of a Hauptmann called von Rauchhaupt. There is a Friedhelm von Rauchhaupt who won the Ehrenblattspange, as a Hauptmann, on 17th November 1944 but while with 2./Pz.Jäger.Abt 362. It is possible that this is one and the same person but as of yet I have no confirmation either way.

The second signature in the SB is at the bottom of Page 24 and is for a Leutnant called Richter as the Kompanie-Führer of 2./Pz.Jäg.Abt 92. There is an Alfred Richter who, as an Oberleutnant, won the DKiG on 27th April 1945 while with 1./Pz.Jäg.Abt 92.

• Like 1

For the remainder of the war 20 PD fought in East Prussia before being sent south to Hungary and Silesia. In the final days of the war 20 PD was in positions near Dresden where it disengaged and began to retreat towards Czechoslavakia. It wa snear Prague where most of the 20 PD survivors surrendered to the Soviet forces with some managing to make American lines - but those who surrendered to the US Frces soon had their sense of relief shattered when they were handed over to the Russians. However, as can be seen from his PoW discharge paper, Otto Freitag was releasded from Allied captivity in June 1945.

What I find interesting is that while Freitag remainded within Pz.Jäger.Abt 92 as an armoured vehicle crewmember from 1940 to 1945 he was promoted numerous times between 1940 to 1941 reaching Unteroffizier but was never promoted again for the remaining 4 years of the war. This is especially baffling - to me at least - as he had actually served in the military from 1934 serving in 1./Kraftfahr-Abt.

The Soldbuch also came with Freitag's award citations, PoW Discharge paperwork, Reichsheer Militärpaß and Sports Badge Award booklet.

Other signatures:

Assault Badge citation - Wilhelm Ritter von Thoma (RK & Deutsche Spanien-Kreuz mit Schwertern und Brillanten)

EK II citation - Mortimer von Kessel (RK & EL)

Black Wound Badge - not entirely sure but possibly Hermann Völk (RK & DKiG)

KvK II Kl mit Schwertern - Unknown

• Like 1

Nice grouping, Kevin! I remember seeing this offered a while back - on Janssen-Militaria I believe. I recall the price was very fair.

I particularly like the GAB document - I've yet to acquire an example of this version for my collection.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Rob

Hi Kevin,

Great grouping and a very informative description that is a pleasure to read.

That Sturmabzeichen award document is such a special beauty !

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

That's a very nice grouping Kevin :thumbup:. I remembered it also from Janssens site. Nice presentation as well. The Sturmabzeichen document is indeed a special one.

Regards

Erwin

Wonderful first post! Thanks for sharing these excellent scans. Always love these Befehlen, they provide excellent research material. 

Item number 54 Otto Freitag :w00t:

Thank you for the additional images. It is amazing how things like this crop up out of the woodwork.

Kevin H:

Hello! Thank you for sharing Otto Freitag's Soldbuch and documents with the Forum, great background information.

Best regards,

John

Hi friends
I present a documentary about a soldier Otto Freitag on participation rate of protection against gas

• Like 1

Mein Vater war Unteroffizier in der 1. Stabskompanie der 92. Panzerjäger-Abt., leider im August 1944 gefallen in Rumänien.

Gibt es  Unterlagen bis zu dieser Zeit?

Danke

Not in that set I'm afraid but that era is covered in the book Fire Brigades by Kamen Nevenkin.

I no longer own this set as it was used as part of a trade/cash deal for the Bellof RKT set.

By chance, this document set has come into my hands.  Unfortunately the Reichsheer diploma and Sports Badge booklet referenced above were not included and somehow were separated. ?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.