Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin H

Fallschirm-Panzer-Artillerie-Rgt Herman Göring - Nice LW wrapper photo

Here is the latest addition to the collection. Unfortunately I haven't conducted any research as I know very little about the unit apart from it fought in Africa, Sicily, Italy and then East Prussia. I am aware of the book The History Of The Fallschirmpanzerkorps Hermann Göring by Franz Kurowski and I have my eyes on a copy but as there are plenty of other books on the 'Wanted' list it will have to wait its turn. I have never really had any major interest in the Hermann Göring units but I have always wanted a good example of a HG soldbuch/wehrpass/urkunde just to fill the gap in my collection so when I saw this set I couldn't resist, especially as the photo is very nice as he is wearing a Feldgrau Luftwaffe wrapper complete with Totenkopf on the collar tabs. The set itself comes with a small mountain of additional paperwork including PoW related stuff although unfortunately not his award citations.

At some point someone decided that the photo wasn't going anywhere so added sellotape around the edge to keep it there - and even added two small strips of sellotape over the staples on the front cover just to make sure - but it is undoubtedly original to the SB and is of Ludwig Wolf. At first I thought it could of been a collector who decided to do this but considering a) the amount of extra stuff this comes with, and b) someone has also added little pencil notes on the Lazarett pages indicating where two of the Lazarett's were located and also of his very last unit in the last month of the war I have a sneaking feeling this was all done by Wolf himself. The soldbuch is very fragile now and having scanned the pages into my files it won't be coming out of its storage folder fo some time so as not to cause any additional wear & tear.

The SB was opened in 1939 and from then until October 1943 Ludwig Wolf served at various Fliegerhorst Kdt and a LW Bau-Btl primarily as a medic. Then in October 1943 he was assigned to 10.(Sf)/Artillerie Rgt Hermann Göring (of Fallschirm-Panzer-Division Herman Göring) which I believe was equipped with Wespe self propelled artillery guns. This batterie started life in IV Btl but was then renamed III Btl and 10 (Sf) became 7./Fallschirm-Panzer-Artillerie-Rgt HG. Wolf remained with these 2 batteries until December 1944 when he was assigned to the San-Gruppe of III & I Battalion of the artillery regiment until April 1945. For the final month of the war he served with HG's Pz.Pionier Btl and finally Pz.Grenadier Rgt 1 HG. While the last unit is entered in pencil it is confirmed by a postwar document.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Soldbuch Pt 2...

Ludwig Wolf ended up in the Lazarett a few times and by wars end had won the Ost Medal, Black Wound Badge, KvK II Kl mit Schwertern & EK II, the latter in February 1945. There is also a slip of paper in the SB listing days allocated as Erdkampftage. He was awarded 7 such days but for some reason was never awarded the LW Ground Combat Badge - it isn't mentioned in the soldbuch or on a post-war document that lists his awards.

Also with the set are 3 additional photos of Ludwig Wolf.

Amongst the extra papers is his Verpflichtungsschein signed when he was in 10.(Sf)/Fallschrim.Pz.Art.Rgt HG, and papers relating to his PoW status and work, including certificates from his captors vouching for Wolf's conduct and good work at a medical facility. This is by no means all of the paperwork but will suffice as a sample.

And finally... after WW-2 and his stint as a PoW Ludwig Wolf eventually re-joined the German Armed Forces and recieved his Bundeswehr Wehrpass and Dogtag. He began by serving in 1./Panzer-Artillerie-Brigade 185 before going on to serve at various medical units. So all in all his WW-2 medical training stood him in good stead. The set also has a couple of additional Bundeswehr passport sized photos.

Very nice Kevin!!

I remember chatting about this shortly after you found it!!! Will have a better look later as either my ISP is playing up or the site is really slow and I can not view all the images.

/Ian

The portrait is just great. You can see a little tip of the luft breast eagles wing. I believe there are only a few original luftwaffe field grey wrappers in collections. I had a few lw pz jag collartabs and shoulderboards sets 2 years ago. All were matching and mint. The came from an old tailor shop in germany.

Very nice soldbuch group Kevin :thumbup: Thanks for sharing it

Erwin

...as either my ISP is playing up or the site is really slow and I can not view all the images.

/Ian

I'm having the same trouble so don't think it is your ISP.

Great grouping. I posted my HG panzer pioneer battalion Wehrpass previously on the forum, though sadly mine is missing the picture and does not have the history that yours does. Mine was a British vet bring back from Italy and came with a DAK kalendar 1943.

Regards,

Jerry

Thanks for the commenst guys. It is indeed a set that I am very pleased with and the fragility of the SB just adds to its charm. When I received it and opened the first couple of pages the smell of it was that old musty paper smell you get when you take an old book off the shelf and leaf through its pages so certainly has that 'been there' factor in abundance.

And thanks to Ian who also noticed that the first entry on the Erdkampftage sheet in the SB shows that he was involved in the street fighting during the early days of the Warsaw Uprising in August 1944.

Taken from Fire Brigades by Kamen Nevenkin (Page 700)...

On 1st August an uprising began in the Polish capital and some units that were still on the way to the front - part of II/Fs.Pz.Rgt HG (with 20 Pz IV), III/Fs.Pz.Gren.Rgt HG 2, IV(Sf)/Fs.Pz.Art.Rgt HG - were thrown against the insurgents. From 2nd to 4th August they were engaged in fighting in Warsaw.

Looks like the set holds some nice bonuses that future research might help reveal.

Kevin,

Just going through the books on Warsaw now as you know. Also we potentially found out where he was wounded in 1943 also, Podssadna, of course we can't find it on any maps at the moment!.

Gordon's Osprey book on HG records :

On 27 July 1944 the Division reached the Eastern Front and was sent into action north-east of Warsaw. Here "HG" Division along with 5 SS Pz.DIv. "Wiking" encircled the Soviet 3rd Tank Corps which had broken through near Wolmin-Radcymin and cut the enemy to pieces. This victory was an important boost for morale at a time when the German armies in the East seemed to be suffering nothing but reverses, and once again the division fund itself singled out for praise.

Generalfeldmarschall Model reported that it was thanks to the courageous engagement of the Fallschirm Panzer Division "Hermann Göring" that Warsaw could still be held. On 8 August the division was thrown into a counter-attack against a Soviet bridgehead which had been established over the Vistula between Warka and Magnuszew. The halting of the Soviet armoured forces at the gates of Warsaw also dashed any faint homes that the Polish Home Army might have had, when they rose against the German occupiers on 1 Auguast, that the Red Army would come to their assistance.

In the weeks that followed "Herman Göring" remained in the Warsaw area defending the Vistula line against Soviet incursions alongside troops of IV SS Pz.Korps (the Division played no part in the operations against the Warsaw rising).

/Ian

Kamen Nevenkin's book reports that battle as commencing on 2nd August (Page 701)...

From 2nd August the part of Fs.Pz.Div HG which was deployed southwest of Wolomin, took part in a powerful German counteroffensive against the Soviet troops in this area. It attacked the western flank of the enemy. By 5th August the Soviets were encircled and destroyed.

There is a single line in the Osprey book on Warsaw 1944 that might shed light on the matter when it mentions that on August 1st 1944 the bulk of the division was located northeast of Praga but one panzer battalion with 20 Pz IV (the number & type as confirmed in Fire Brigades), was still unloading in Warsaw when the uprising began.

So it might well be that some units of HG were indeed involved in the early stages of the Uprising as they just happened to be detraining in the city at the time it erupted.

So it might well be that some units of HG were indeed involved in the early stages of the Uprising as they just happened to be detraining in the city at the time it erupted.
Especially when the entry in Soldbuch says "Strassenkämpfe in Warschau gegen die polnische Aufstandsbewegung" - Street fighting in Warsaw uprising against the Polish

/Ian

And again in the Osprey book on the battle, it does mention for the 2nd August (on the Key for the map on Page 40): Midday - the AK unit holding positions in the Praga rail yard are defeated and the uprising in this district collapses prematurely.

That would support why there is only one day of street fighting listed on the Erdkampftage sheet if some of the division's units were unloading in the Praga rail yard at the time as opposed to rail yards in the north and southwest of the city.

Kevin,

Your man for sure wanted to keep that photo in his Soldbuch.

Also shows that he went through it in the years after the war (post war sticky tape).

That wrapper photo is a real killer, such a rare photo.

The Warsaw entry is a big extra bonus.

Thanks for showing your grouping.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Your man for sure wanted to keep that photo in his Soldbuch.

Eric-Jan

He certainly did - here is the front cover with sellotape over the staples to make sure they stay in!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this