Historical War Militaria Forum

Here is a nice Nuremberg Eagle by Kurt Schmidt Ehmen that i just sold, Good luck to the new owner- Enjoy,
Best Wishes,
Phil

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Here are three of the other more common Nuremberg Style Eagle variations,

Best Regards,

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil,

Thanks for posting these!  Even though I am a Luftwaffe collector, I have always loved these types of eagles.  Some are quite detailed, and it's easy to think that a Luftwaffe officer or general might have had one in his office.  They are wonderful display items and a great supplement to any collection!

Great eagles.

Best regards,

Jason

Hi Erich & Sebastian, thanks for the kind words, I very much like the Art Deco style of the Nuremberg Eagles.    Jason, thanks also, I think a Luftwaffe Officer might also have had one of these highly detailed, heavy bronze eagles in his office- especially if he belonged to Luftwaffe Flak Reg 12.

• Like 1

These eagles are nice. I have been scared to pay the kind of money that surely a fine original is worth.  I see many of these eagles offered at sites like ioffer.com and other places. 

I like your eagle (Luft Flak Reg 12) as shown above.  I haven't seen the chain in the mouth and metallic pennant/tag. 

I have seen a couple memorial eagles like this as memorials to crew of bombers and such lost in the line of duty. Usually with a plaque on the stone face.

Really nice pieces.

Regards,

JustinG

Thanks for your comments Justin, Here's another photo showing the plaque hanging from the mouth. Note that the eagles beak was cast closed and the chain has solid links. This is a sign that the plaque is original to the eagle as it can't be removed without cutting either the beak or chain. And i show another couple of Political style eagles,

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments,

Here are a couple more Nurnburg Style eagles, the large bronzed iron wall eagle is from the Elementary Schools main hall in Boppard, Northern Germany, the porcelain piece is from Nymphenburg.

Cheers, Phil

• Like 1

Hi Phil

Beautiful eagles.
And because I'm interest Lw, I like most  the "Flak Eagle".
If you ever decided to sell ... :smile:

KR

Jacek

Thanks for the kind comments,

Here are a couple more Nurnburg Style eagles, the large bronzed iron wall eagle is from the Elementary Schools main hall in Boppard, Northern Germany, the porcelain piece is from Nymphenburg.

Cheers, Phil

Any chance of seeing the mark on this porcelain adler?.

Best,

Kris

Hi Kris,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Just the standard 1930's Nymphenburg mark, there is no indication of who sculpted it unfortunately.

It would have been nice to see the number for Professor T. Kaerner who was one of the better known Nymphenburg artists (mainly animals though) but maybe whoever owns one of the other Nymhenburg Adlers (like this other one) will have better luck in identifying the artist,                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Cheers, Phil

Hello All,

An astute fellow collector has alerted me to what is believed to be a porcelain casting or copy of the Nymphenburg eagle, known as the ‘Allach Chicken-Head’ fake or ‘Allach Droop-Beak’ fake due to its suspect Allach marking, and supposed chicken like head with a distinctive down swept beak.

Up close, the differences in quality, detail and manufacture are obvious but from a distance or without the Nymphenburg eagle in hand side by side to compare, the ‘Allach’ eagle looks pretty good but is suspected by many to be a dangerous fake. I am unsure about the other open wing Nymphenburg eagle shown that was sold at auction by Hermans some time ago as I have not seen this one or another like it in hand but I would recommend extreme caution. Many thanks have to go to Marcus for his invaluable information about these eagles.

Cheers,

Phil.

Hello All,

Regarding the Nurnburg Adlers shown earlier in this thread,
I show some further photos of the back of these eagles and note the manufacturers.
The first eagle is a Kurt Schmidt-Ehmen with a foundry marking from Munchen. The next three from left to right are a Ziehe & Co. Kassel, the centre bronze one is RZM marked M3/82 for Gruber & Co, Wien (Vienna) and the third is a 'flat back' 'HB which also shares the RZM code list of M3/28 - H.H. van Beusekom (Gladbeck)- these also are found with a detailed feather back.

Cheers,
Phil 

ReichsAdler:

Thank you for sharing your Nuremburg Eagles with the Forum, stunning pieces. I real pleasure viewing this topic.

Best regards,

John

John, Thanks for the kind words, here are another couple of eagles, I guess neither are really "Nuremberg" eagles but they would still be considered "political", the first is another left facing head example, silver plated bronze & very heavy and well detailed. Thes also appear in zink marked with the "HB" RZM M3/28 mark. The second is also Bronze but unfortunately has lost its original black finish. According to the books, the second eagles are sculpted by Johanne Pabst and are always signed at the base. There are also original zink cast versions of these eagles around but the bronze ones were hand sculpted and cast by the lost wax process and are in fact a lot more scarce than the standard Nuremberg eagles.

A couple of shots of another Johanne Pabst desk eagle, this one with its original grey/ slate finish, note the quality of  the casting on these original eagles, (photos- Kris Lindbloom)

A couple of shots of another Johanne Pabst desk eagle, this one with its original grey/ slate finish, note the quality of  the casting on these original eagles, (photos- Kris Lindbloom)

This bird was slate black, lighting made it look grey.

Sorry Kris, My apologies, I re-read your description, a top-shelf bird indeed in slate black, high quality with great detail, we only see about 1 signed bronze for every 10 zink knock-offs.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.