Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin H

Sturmboot-Kommando (mot.) 912 WP & SB set

Here is something that doesn't crop up all that often and that is a Wehrpass & Sldbuch to a long serving member of the Heer who spent many years with Sturmboot-Kommando units.

Paul Paske was born in Langendorf in East Prussia and coming from that region it was perhaps not surprising that he joined Pionier-Btl 1 in 1936, that unit being a component of 1 Infanterie Division which was based in Königsberg. Serving with them for 2 years he was discharged from military service in October 1938 but was then called up again in August 1939 and sent to serve with Pionier-Sperr-Kolonne (mot.) 541 where he spent 2 & a half years before he joined his first Sturmboot-Kdo unit - Sturmboot-Kdo 904 - as a driver. He only spent 2 months with them until he went to Sturmboot-Kommando (mot.) 912, a unit that he spent the rest of the war with.

Sturmboot-Kdo 912 was used on many occaisions during the German drive across the Russian Steppe, including during the German assault crossing of the Don River near Kalach on 25th August during the push to Stalingrad (Pages 80 & 81 of Angriff by Jason D Mark shows some of Sturmboot-Kdo 912's equipment during this crossing.)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Although Sturmboot-Kdo 912 wasn't caught up inside the Stalingrad pocket they did participate in fighting during those bitter winter days with Paske being awarded one day towards an Assault Badge for combat at Marijnskaja on 5th January 1943, with Paske also having been awarded a KvK II Kl mit Schwertern in December 1942.

Sturmboot-Kdo 912 spent the rest of the war on various fronts with the German army retreating across numerous water obstacles. Later in the war the unit was in Hungary ferrying agents across Lake Balaton to place them behind Russian Lines (if I have translated the Lexikon entry correctly... http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/PiSturmbootkp/Stubikom912-R.htm )

There doesn't seem to be much 'out there' about Strumboot-Kdo units but one site ( http://sturmboot-kommando.de/ ) does provide a list of commanding officers of Sturmboot-Kommando 912 and as it so happens, all three CO's have signed the Soldbuch in various places.

Sturmboot-Kdo 912 Commanding Officers:

Oblt. Petzel 1942 – 1943

Oblt. Mahr 1943 – 1944

Oblt. Pfeiffer 1944 – 1945

Nice set, Kevin.

Sturmboot-Kdo 912 was used on many occaisions during the German drive across the Russian Steppe, including during the German assault crossing of the Don River near Kalach on 25th August during the push to Stalingrad (Pages 80 & 81 of Angriff by Jason D Mark shows some of Sturmboot-Kdo 912's equipment during this crossing.)

Attached are some of the photos from pages 80-81 of "Angriff".

Jason

Very unique and scarce unit here - a real treat to see such material... :thumbup:

*** I feel that I have seen his face a thousand times before...has his Soldbuch / Soldbuch photo been in a previous publication (or two) ???

"Hundestaffel"

Thanks for the comments guys, and thank you for posting the images Jason.

*** I feel that I have seen his face a thousand times before...has his Soldbuch / Soldbuch photo been in a previous publication (or two) ???

"Hundestaffel"

Not that I am aware of, and this is also the only time I have posted it on to the web.

Indeed a rare breed and not that often seen at all.

And a Soldbuch - Wehrpaß duo set is even better.

Kevin, thanks for showing !

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hi Kevin,

Very nice group of the Storm Boot Company 904th

I have a similar Wehrpass of the Storm Boot company 902nd.

greetings Marcel,

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this