Historical War Militaria Forum
JasonA

Plates, Salvers, and Non-Portable Awards

Perhaps this is a good place to start a thread on various plates and salvers. This would include commemorative, regimental, campaign, non-portable, etc. awards and recognition.

First is a Legion Condor Meissen plate. Second is wooden salver named to Oberleutnant Schubert. I still have research to do to find the correct Schubert...there were many of them. But it's a nice, hand crafted salver from a single piece of wood. The artisan's signature is on the reverse.

J-

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Both of these look really good and interesting items, particularly like the Condor Legion plate. Good luck with the research on the wood plate.

Thanks, Jerry. The sheer variety of the Third Reich in every category never ceases to amaze me. There were marked and subtle differences in everything from uniforms to little things like these. The wooden salver was likely a gift given to the officer, which makes it a one-off item, and unique piece of history.

It certainly makes for variety in collecting, and offers plenty for everybody to focus on (or get distracted by!). It also helps make us feel like beginners from time to time, in a sense - because it seems like there is something new to find around every corner.

J-

Perhaps this is a good place to start a thread on various plates and salvers. This would include commemorative, regimental, campaign, etc. awards and recognition.

First is a Legion Condor Meissen plate. Second is wooden salver named to Oberleutnant Schubert. I still have research to do to find the correct Schubert...there were many of them. But it's a nice, hand crafted salver from a single piece of wood. The artisan's signature is on the reverse.

J-

Two beautiful and rare items Jason. A pity Schubert's first name is not stated....I have found at least 32 Schuberts ;( but I am sure this could be narrowed down somewhat.

Two beautiful and rare items Jason. A pity Schubert's first name is not stated....I have found at least 32 Schuberts ;( but I am sure this could be narrowed down somewhat.
Thanks, Pierce. The nice thing is that there is information on the salver that will help whittle it down to a few reasonable suspects! It will just take some time.

J-

Thank you, gentlemen! I appreciate the kind words, and am happy you enjoyed seeing them. Here are two more...

The first is a non-portable award to Oberst Fritz Laicher of the Luftwaffe General Staff. He entered the Luftwaffe in early '35, served as an adjutant to the staff of the Flak commander in Kiel, and entered General Staff training in '39. He was awarded the DKiG in early '42 as the commander of Flak Rgt. 6, and was immediately appointed Chief of Staff to Air District Command XI. He later went on to command Flak Div. 2.

The second is a framed document awarded to Oberleutnant Oskar Hartmann of the Officer Corps in Lippstadt in '43. He won 1st place with the k98: five shoots at 100 meters. He achieved the rank of Hauptman (reserve) near the end of '43, and was released from service in early '45. Since shooting lanyards were not worn by officers, this was a nice piece to get in its stead.

J-

First time I see the Legion Condor plate. Interesting to see both spanish and italian pilot badges on it. I would be interested to know if these plates could be purchased by any member of the Legion Condor (with money as Meissen products have never been cheap) or if it was a gift made for high ranking officers as a remembering of their service during the spanish civil war.

Pierre

First time I see the Legion Condor plate. Interesting to see both spanish and italian pilot badges on it. I would be interested to know if these plates could be purchased by any member of the Legion Condor (with money as Meissen products have never been cheap) or if it was a gift made for high ranking officers as a remembering of their service during the spanish civil war.

Pierre

Pierre - a great question! I had thought that these were commemorative plates bestowed to members of a unit, or officers, but I do not know the answer. Perhaps another who has more familiarity with these plates will see this thead and chime in. These plates and salvers are nice pieces to compliment a display. This is the third Legion Condor design I've seen on a Meissen plate. One of the other two was very similar to this one, just a slightly different design. The third was different.

J-

Here are two more lovely, and very early plates.

J-

Here's another wooden salver named to an Oberleutnant with Fliegerhorst Kommandantur at Westerland/Sylt in northern Germany from 1941 - 42.  His name/rank are carved to the reverse.

J-

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.