Historical War Militaria Forum
Hans Kondor

CAUTION BUYING HERE: The Dealers: The Bad and the Ugly

Hi Sebastien,

Very true words, but i don't agree on the free part.....

Hi gaston, yes its true nothing is free in this hobby of course.... I just translated a french expression and I made it look bad so I change it to reflect what was on my mind.

Thanks for correcting me big brother :smile:

On 15-5-2013 at 9:22 PM, Gaston V. said:

If tomorrow that one item you've been looking for for years turns up at a known crooks site site i bet you will mail them and buy it! (i know i've done so and will definately do again!). Collecting is all fun, but it works also much different from how things in real life work out. 

best regards,

Gaston

In relation to this, one should always do study and educate themselves before buying an item, no matter who's the dealer or seller. The main rule stays : know what you buy!

A dealers good reputation is a bonus but IMO it could never be decisive in order to buy an item blindly. For me, a good dealer gives a certain no-nonsens guarantee, perfect shipping & packing methods, smooth communication,etc...

Too many collectors nowadays have little knowledge and lots of $ to spend - deadly combination.

Regards
Jan

Well said that man.

Ok there are 2 of the bastards that stick in my throat.

Blighty medals in the UK this t....r  took advantage of me being a inexperinced collector with a lust for the hobby .This tosser riped me of for a lot of money then refused to take any item back. Parade antiques UK same again total shite few hundred there.  Last but not least the now i think defunked UK militaria again a fair bit there.

All 3 of these scum will get their comupance .They took full advantage of me and several friends .Sold as real items and all refused to refund.sorry for the rant but i am an honest man and when people do this it hurts you .

Regards Pete

How about adding Thomas Wittmann to this list. A dealer that every new collector MUST be aware of.

Wittmann Militaria

They continually list humped up, and outright fantasy daggers and knives as original, at exorbitant prices!

Their best sellers are:

The Fantasy HJ Olympics knife (They list them for around $1800-2000 each)

The Fantasy DJ knives (They list them for around $1600.- each)

• The Fantasy BDM knives

The Fantasy Reichsparteitage souvenir/knives (They list them for around $1500 each)

What makes this dealer detrimental to the hobby is that they are prepared to completely alter history in order to sell their bad wares.

Over the past few years we have seen Wittmann Militaria add some really horrible fakes to their site, accompanied by an invented story to legitimize the item.

If they were not already on the bottom of the list, then they are surely sinking down to the same level as other dealers who used to be OK, like BECK MILITARIA, HOUSE OF HISTORY... and who see no

Problem with filling their site with fakes and fantasy items.

What makes matters worse is that they are not prepared to enter into any form of debate on their wares at all. They have long since placed themselves at the top of the food table, and see no problem

offering collectors their, sometimes very twisted, idea of history.

Advice to any new collectors thinking of buying from them. Post an image of the item you want on a forum first, just to see if the offered item indeed has anything to do with WW2, or reality!

• Like 2

Not being a dagger collector i only knew Wittman by name and never bothered to look at that site. from hearsay i thought his reputation was quite good but after looking at his site even to my untrained (dagger) eyes there are some very fishy items there!

I also always heard that German daggers are relative good priced in the US because of the many vet bringbacks, but the prices he asks for some of his HJ daggers seem very much over the top. I remember Craig Gottlieb asking 850 dollar about two years ago for a stone mint one and thought that was a lot, but on Wittman's site about every HJ dagger in every condition is more expensive. Who payes these high prices???? Next fair i go to i think im going to harvest some of these HJ daggers for 300-350 euro and offer them for trade against medals or paperwork on the WAF e-stand for half the price of Wittman, should still be a 100% profit and much under his prices!!!

As others typed before, know what you buy befoe you buy it. No dealer (purposely or not) is without mistakes, but it's amazing what some do and can keep getting away with! Money lets people do crazy things! (Good thing i have none :smile: lol)

ps: One thing you got to give the man credit for and that is his collection, holy crap!!! --> http://www.wwiidaggers.com/collectingroom/cr1.htm'>WOW (click me)

On 16-7-2013 at 9:19 AM, Metallwarenfabrik said:

Gentlemen. A few of the posters here seem a bit upset that Klaus Butschek has recieved (numerous) bad reviews at the HJ forum. The reason(s) for this are simple.

Firstly, YES, the folks at the HJ-Research forum really do, know what they are doing.(Or maybe a member here could point me to a thread on the HJ forum where wrong info is stated? or where it is clear that they dont know what they are doing?)  Secondly, fact is fact, regardless of personal opinion. And the plain facts are, that fakes have been found on Butscheks site, more than once. There was the case of a Gold wound badge that was sold without a case, yet appeared WITH a case on his site later, with no mention that the case was not original to the badge. Then there was the more recent case, read about that at WAF, where a HJ uniform, that was bought of eBay with no effects, miraculously turns up in Butscheks hands with added insignia! There have been other incidents as well.

Yes, i too have dealt with Butschek, and everything said about them/him here is true. Very nice to converse with, very efficient service, well packed, postage is also OK, prices have shot through the roof but that has nothing to do with a dealer’s reputation. BUT, the fact remains that Butschek DO list fakes, and they DO list humped up items. (Plural, not singular)

So where does this leave us? Are we just to gang up on people like Haas, Snyder, Germania Intl..etc... And not say a word about Dealers who, the majority believe are "The best" ?

If you want to stay fair, and really want to help people with this thread, then there should surely be no problem mentioning any name when it comes to exposing fakes.

I will leave you with some food for thought.

Do these "dealers" interact with collectors on the forums? Do they share their time and try and help? OR... do they simply use the forums for their own advertising & sales - financial gain-?

Yes, i have heard it, seen it, and done it myself before. Dealer XYZ is such a nice chap, after he was alerted to a fake on his recent update, he "did the right thing" and removed it! Really? The right thing would be to interact with the community, find out why it is a fake, and find out how to not make beginners mistakes in the future. Getreu dem motto: Education über alles. (yes, i just made that up) That would be the right thing, not to just repeatedly threaten a forum because your name is mentioned in a bad light, brought on by your own actions for listing modern fakes as genuine.

HERE HERE , funny how a certain banned member is now over on the bashing forum he was whining about! :w00t::thumbsup:

I must also second this.

On GCA Skip from Berlin Militaria is a fully commited member posting and commeting on pieces.

Sure it helps him pedal his trade but he is constantley learning along with the rest.

REgards Pete

Here is one on british army cap badges.

All i can say is that most top dealers in this subject are OK but they do not know somtimes they have a copy.

They do get emailed by the way.

Most take them down after email.

But few are so intent that they refuse to discuss there badges.

Ebay is 85% FAKE.

• Like 1

Name and shame please could the admin tell me if this is a good thing to do ?

Im really unsure on this matter.

I have posted fakes but never mentioned who they are.

Links are different.

Name and shame please could the admin tell me if this is a good thing to do ?

Im really unsure on this matter.

I have posted fakes but never mentioned who they are.

Links are different.

If on purpose Fakes or Reproduced items are sold with the intention to fool others buying originals.. Than yes, please do so. 

If one sold a Fake or Reproduced item without the intention to fool but solves the matter quickly.. Than no, do not. Should he keep on doing this than I think it goes back to above said. 

Can we add ole Charlie Snyder to this list?For you who don't know of him do not buy anything from him at all! He has been around since the 60s and has screwed many collectors over the years.

Can we add ole Charlie Snyder to this list?For you who don't know of him do not buy anything from him at all! He has been around since the 60s and has screwed many collectors over the years.

WHAT????????? NOT old Charlie Snyder???????? Good God .How can you sit there and type such things about a lovley man as him.He has done so much for the hoby.There is nothing wrong with old Charlie that a well aimed bullet would not cure.( Just joking charlie)you can come around my house and poke my sister anytime mate you Wxxxxr. :cursing:

I think we at some time or another you  can put about 95% on there .We must trust them as i do my ex wife.Thats right ( not at all ) :w00t:

Regardless of how nice they come across.

• Like 2

My opinion.....if you have to ask about the *genuine relics* on Snyders site, you need to get out of collecting militaria!!!!!!!!!!

And stay away from a bunch of bullcrap FaceBook sellers, the ones with fake groups.etc. One of these days I will copy and paste to this section just a few con artist crooks on FB

New to this fine forum and just joined. A PAB #100 FOR 1,100 pounds.Is this guy for real!That is as phony as a three dollar bill.If and I mean if it was real that piece would fetch 7k-8-k in a heartbeat.German WW2/Nazi site has more repros than most sites I have seen and I wish he and guys like Charlie Snyder and the rest of these clowns would go and work for a living! After 44 years of collecting I see many dealers having a power struggle to see how much money they can squeeze out of decent collectors.I won't name them as you who are on this forum know them.A shame that the hobby has to endure these greedy and dishonest dealers.So to any new collectors arm yourselves and post your potentenal buys here.If anyone refuses you to take photos say goodbye!!

I met ole Snyder in 1971 at the long gone Stratford,Conn. show.He was a big B.S  artist then and how this horror has stayed around for so long is a puzzle to many!I could tell you some stories of that era and some funny ones,but I wish no threats towards this forum by the swill greedy dealers still around.These lice are quick to threaten anyone when you air their dirty laundry.You have decent folk here unlike as an old collector described as a sewer on the other forums.Happy Collecting.

Just wanted the members to know about prices that are what an original GAB # 75 went for on the Andreas Thies April 9th Auction #56.We had discussed a #75 that was listed by some cretin dealer for 1,000 Euros or Pounds.A true piece Lot # 332 went for 7,500 euros and it was a good piece not a repro.Real very rare pieces will reflect there true value!There was some magnificent pieces in the Auction and their catalogs are very well done.If their is a specific award or badge you have and would like to know the price, just let me know.

Hi guys. I am a new member to this sight, and wonder if anyone could advise me? I recently bought a german m15 picklehaube [spike and badge in brass] Smells to high heaven. Vent holes uneven and rough edged. Now I have opened a dispute, but the guy said he was told by "Spandau militaria"] that it was ok. Now looking at this forum I am starting to sweat. The blind leading the blind I fear. Any feedback would be most appreciated. Thanks

Well said that man.

Ok there are 2 of the bastards that stick in my throat.

Blighty medals in the UK this t....r  took advantage of me being a inexperinced collector with a lust for the hobby .This tosser riped me of for a lot of money then refused to take any item back. Parade antiques UK same again total shite few hundred there.  Last but not least the now i think defunked UK militaria again a fair bit there.

All 3 of these scum will get their comupance .They took full advantage of me and several friends .Sold as real items and all refused to refund.sorry for the rant but i am an honest man and when people do this it hurts you .

Regards Pete

Hi. I am the owner of Parade Antiques in Plymouth. PETESAV has put our name forward, as a dealer that knowingly sells fakes as original and refuses to refund purchases. 

I would like to know who he is, as the name is not familiar at all and what item does he purport to have bought from us and for which we have not offered a refund?

Whilst we try and ensure that all our items are original, we deal in all manner of antiques and collectables. Occasionally, some very good copies may slip through. We always offer a full refund, if unhappy with the item. We also remove them from our listings, if a person can put a good reason forward as to why they may be suspect.

There are other dealers in Plymouth, which have a poor reputation, and I am hoping that he has got us confused with them.

My email is john@paradeantiques.co.uk

Our website is: www.paradeantiques.co.uk

Thanks

Kind regards

John Cabello

Parade Antiques

• Like 1

Hi John,

I cannot answer your other questions, but just wanted to let you know that this medal bar with the Spanish Blue Division Medal is a fake, made by the "Austrian Faker", Alfred Vollmost.

http://www.paradeantiques.co.uk/militaria/medals-badges/wwii-german-medals-badges/wwii-german-luftwaffe-spanish-blue-division-medal-group

Kind regards
Pierce

Do not normally do this but after looking at how many luftwaffe summer breast eagles sold so far (6) at £125 each i feel the need to expose this NUMPTY.

Caution buying here.

One of his rants....

LUFTWAFFE SUMMER GILT ALUMINIUM BREAST EAGLE.

I have listed several of these over the past few years and each time my contact returns from Germany, he brings one more and says 'that's the last!". Well he found another, so I am happy to list it here. Gilt washed, aluminium Luftwaffe Generals breast eagle by Assmann. Beautiful details as always, a crisp, very clear casting. Much more so than the standard aluminium ones, and thinner and lighter too. Finish is perfect.

Link to his web site below.........

http://www.worldmilitarycollectables.com/home.php

Noticed also some bad German awards and documents........

• Like 1

Its wrong but these people get respect,why i do not know.

• Like 1