Historical War Militaria Forum
Hans Kondor

CAUTION BUYING HERE: The Dealers: The Bad and the Ugly

So sad collectors are being fooled out of money. :sad: 

Hi John,

I cannot answer your other questions, but just wanted to let you know that this medal bar with the Spanish Blue Division Medal is a fake, made by the "Austrian Faker", Alfred Vollmost.

http://www.paradeantiques.co.uk/militaria/medals-badges/wwii-german-medals-badges/wwii-german-luftwaffe-spanish-blue-division-medal-group

Kind regards

Pierce

Hi Pierce,

Thank you for the heads up, I have removed it from sale. If you have a moment would you mind sharing with me what alerted you to the fact that it is made by Alfred Vollmost? Just so I can be better informed in future.

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

Hi Pierce,

Thank you for the heads up, I have removed it from sale. If you have a moment would you mind sharing with me what alerted you to the fact that it is made by Alfred Vollmost? Just so I can be better informed in future.

Thanks,

John

This is how it should work, thank you gentlemen.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 2

Slowly but surly dealers are getting exposed,however is it a good thing or a bad thing.
I do not really know.

Its wrong but these people get respect,why i do not know.

Not from me Dave, not from me !

• Like 1

On the subject of Klaus Butschek, I can't obviously comment on what is fake and what is not, I'm not an expert in these matters. However, I have to say, and at the risk of sounding naive, I have bought many items from Klaus over the years and have no hesitation in recommending him publicly. I was unhappy with one item once, and I received a full refund with no argument. I couldn't have asked for more than that, and I continue to buy from him. Perhaps his prices are high, nobody is forcing anyone to pay those prices. I will start posting photos of some of the items I've bought for others to comment on. Sorry I've been away for a while :)

• Like 1

Good to see you back on the forum Troy.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thanks for the warning Dave.

Much appreciated.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Jürgen Vogt

Bischofsteich 45 A

33102 Paderborn

Deutschland

Beware! I bought 3 german medals from this guy 1,5 years ago, the day after I paid got an email saying that his house war burgled. Never saw my 130€ again, he did the same thing to at least 10-12 others at the time.

Where did you buy the medals? Via a website of him, ebay - mil321 .. account? Please, do share the username then so others won't be fooled.

Bad news Robert.

Thanks for mentioning the guy.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Am i missing somthing here. £225 For a Brecknockshire cap badge worth only about £40 when genuine.
The badge is FAKE what a fool

Thank you Jerry

To sum up this man lets do some simple arithmetic........

Brecks slidered £225 plus Victorian pack badge £225 plus postage = Rubbish

And his medals are overpriced, this is £80-100 more than it should be;

A Good 1914-15 Trio. To: 3241. Pte. W, WARE. 1/4th WELSH REGT . (2B BALKANS) 9th August 1915. Landed at Suvla Bay. A trio to an extremely tough ( or lucky) survivor of a VERY difficult war.
£195

"PROTECTING COLLECTORS FROM FRAUD"

"WISHING YOU ALL A SAFE & EXCITING COLLECTING EXPERIENCE"

........By selling bad items himself...........

• Like 1

I would also like to recommend Klaus Butschek, he has a fine reputation and I have yet to have seen anything fake on his web-site.

But his prizes are very high, but his credibility is very good. About 321militaria I knew a new collector WHO found some freinds on that web-site and these darling people hooked him up with the best prizes ever ! It seems that all the stuff that ends up at militaria markets around the country all came through 321 ! WHO knew !

Today he owns a vast Collection of junk and he is several thousands Danish kroners lighter, and I dont see him in collectors circles anymore !

Militaria 321 is a good place for me as a paper collector. I have completed maybe 150 purchases there over a 10 year period. However, it can be a minefield, and there are certain ground-rules I try to follow. 

1. Know your stuff/Check with experienced collectors: I have developed a certain "gut-feeling" that I tend to go with. If you are in doubt before a purchase, post the item on our great forum or another forum of your choice.

2. Good pictures: If the pictures are good, the details are better. The seller wants the buyer to know the details of his item. If the pictures are bad....

3. Paypal: I almost never buy anything from sellers who don't accept paypal. Usually, they don't accept paypal because of the possibility for a refund if their item is bad.

I was burned on militaria321, mostly in my early collecting days. But 4 bad deals compared to 150 good ones I can live with.

As said, use mil321, but keep in mind that there are people there out to get you.

I have not collected german items for a very long time and i stopped.

However i have had in the past only had very good dealings with Klaus and never that i can recall any problems what so ever.

Saying that i can name 5 uk badge dealers who i would trust but they do list fakes and i would say not on perpose.

Guys the time has evolved you have to know what you are buying.

The days are gone when a dealer will be honest.

There are a few but you will not find them.

To know your game is absolutely vital, I agree on that. 

However, there is a sad tendency in the collectors world when it comes to the way we act towards crooked dealers. On certain forums online, one gets a cold shoulder when you get tricked with fakes. "Do your homework" is the mantra which is refered to. Thats all well and good, but what about the dealers then? Should not the majority of blame fall upon them? 

Apparantly, the Third Reich Militaria business is the only place where the buyer gets blamed for being frauded. While the dealers peddling fakes can keep going for years. Look at Snyder, Wittmann, Winkler. Why is there not a righteous cry for justice, to make these people responsible for all the frauds they have commited over the years??

• Like 1

I agree with you 100%.

There are very few now im afraid to say but they are out there.

Look, one day when i retire i will be an honest dealer because i can not take my collection with me to the grave.

Why do you think some collectors come dealers have spewed forums and gone there own way with closed forums.

Most fora on the net are so currupted now the fun or good information is intwined with brain washing.

Great thread starter my friend and well said.

• Like 1