Historical War Militaria Forum

Jerry this is what i believe.
1st battalion up to the first world war had the white metal cap badge.
During the war all battalions had the brass badge.
1920 Switch to rifle brigade pattern badge first by mistake in brass then to white metal.Also made in brass and chromed.
The badge in k&k well no one really knows this pattern as its only ever been seen in this book.
Jerry thank you for your opinion and your disigreement its good this happens in collecting.
Have a nice day
Dave

Thanks and yeh I knew about the uncertainty with the Mons as to which Bn's wore what colour and when, your explanation sounds about right.  Glad I was not going mad about the one in K&K.

Wow that will be money well spent if you collect cap badges .The bible imo.K&K dous not come close imho. :thumbup:

The book arrived today and it is a 1983,third edition.

For $14.00,including shipping,i think i got a great deal here.It will be good reading i think.

Cheers,Martin.

The book arrived today and it is a 1983,third edition.

For $14.00,including shipping,i think i got a great deal here.It will be good reading i think.

Cheers,Martin.

That is a absolute bargain.

Well done to you Martin.You will enjoy that book. :thumbup:

Another recent addition to my library. This book is, quite simply, AWESOME.  If this book was about Third Reich awards, collectors  of TR material would be falling down and worshiping at the altar of Mr Williamson (sorry no relationship). This, together with Dr Wernitz's recent book on the Imperial Iron Cross is the eptitome of what a historical reference should be .

As someone who has collected both British /Commonwealth and TR , I can honestly say that IMO this books sets standards that, quite frankly, puts to shame the standard of most medal reference books of recent years,

Not only intimate details of the awards themselves, but how to detect replicas, the award documents and other ephemera, are included. Superb  quality binding, glossy art paper and detailed images, this is how a collectors reference SHOULD be.

It is not often that one sees a reference that one would say makes any other attempt at the same subject pointless, but this is one of them. As near perfection as you will ever see.

I finally treated myself to copy of this book and it is every bit as good as Gordon stated, an awesome book on the subject, the detail is superb.

I finally treated myself to copy of this book and it is every bit as good as Gordon stated, an awesome book on the subject, the detail is superb.

Well done jerry its nice to treat yourself to a book now and then.

My last book i got was Jo,s book on the party badge which is just outstanding.

Jerry put your feet up turn the fire on and enjoy,you can not beat it.

• Like 1

I could use a nice and solid book with loads of Pictures dealing with the British soldiers gear in WW2 ... Not the uniforms but the various types of webbing, kitbags, tea mugs,kit-role, and also on the helmets and the different netting ...

Could anybody give me some pointers ??

These are not to bad.

Im sure jerry has a better suggestion though.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot.... Something like one book where most kit could be found...

I don't think there is such a book yet written.

For anyone who has Vol 1, this is an essential companion. Mostly textual with nowhere near the photographic content of Vol1, this one is a treasure trove on info on how to decipher the naming and numbering systems of British medals, explaining all the naming styles and various abbreviations.

Another priceless work.

Vol 3 is also out, and covers brief histories of all the various units, regiments etc. Haven't seen that one myself yet but if it is anywhere near as good as Vol1 and Vol2 it will be another essential addition.

That looks great Jerry. Will be picking up one of those soon as....

Graham

I was thinking the same too, Graham!

This is one book I would recommend in reference to the War Raised Cavarly of WW2 by Peter Seaman.

The book covers all of the badges, insignia and uniform distinctions pertaining to the six regiments, plus a detailed account of their wartime service.

• Like 2

I was thinking the same too, Graham!

This is one book I would recommend in reference to the War Raised Cavarly of WW2 by Peter Seaman.

The book covers all of the badges, insignia and uniform distinctions pertaining to the six regiments, plus a detailed account of their wartime service.

Looks good Marcus, I have not see this one.  Perhaps one to add to my list.

This "Barlow & Smith" publication (approx 30 pages) is a great little resource, and I expect the others in the series would compliment it too.

They were published around thirty or more years ago now, but are a worthy reference of pictorial and in-depth information. They normally only cost a few pounds and can be found on certain auction sites or via means of searching online; that is, eBay and Amazon I suggest, if that's permitted to quote.

The other titles in the series include:

- Sussex Yeomanry Cavalry

- North Somerset Yeomanry

- Yorkshire Hussars

- Westmoreland and Cumberland Yeomanry

- 3rd County of London (Sharpshooters)

- Duke of Lancaster's Own Yeomanry

- Yorkshire Dragoons

Note: Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry in preparation at the time of publication in 1985.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.