Argunners Magazine

HWMFBranding.png

Show us your Kriegsmarine Award Documents

DO NOT POST U-BOOT RELATED MATERIAL, PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING LINKS TO EXCELLENT U-BOOT REFERENCE THREADS:

Show us your U-boot Award Documents
Award documents for the U-Boat Badge
U-Boat Death Cards - Uboot Sterbebilder

==================================================================================================

I've had this for a while now but it is still one of my favourite KM sets. It is an EK II & I set to the eventual Second-in-Command of the Scharnhorst.
Ernst Dominik won the DKiG and died when Scharnhorst was sunk by British
Naval forces in the Barents Sea in December 1943. Both EK citations have darkened with age.

The EK II is dated for 29th November 1939 and the only thing I can think
of for his being awarded this is the attack on the British Northern
Patrol which saw the sinking of the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS
Rawalpindi.

Dominik joined Scharnhorst in January 1939, serving as her Flak Gunnery
Officer, her Gunnery Officer and then rose to be her Second-in-Command
in April 1943.

A nice little extra is the small transparent folder that holds the EK citations and has a sketch of the Scharnhorst on it.

EK II - Dated for November 1939 and signed by Wilhelm Marschall.
EK I - Dated for July 1940 and signed by Günther Lütjens.
Promotion - Dated for 1939 and signed by Erich Raeder.

Scharnhorst:

Kommandanten

01.1939 - 10.1939: Kapitän zur See Otto Ciliax

10.1939 - 03.1942: Kapitän zur See Kurt Caesar Hoffmann

03.1942 - 10.1943: Kapitän zur See Friedrich Hüffmeier

10.1943 - 12.1943: Kapitän zur See Fritz Hintze

Erste Offiziere (IO):

01.1939 - 09.1941: Kapitän zur See Günther Schubert

09.1941 - 03.1942: Fregattenkapitän Hilmar Schroeter

03.1942 - 04.1943: Kapitän zur See Helmuth Gießler

04.1943 - 12.1943: Fregattenkapitän Ernst Dominik

Navigationsoffiziere (NO): 01.1939 - 03.1941: Fregattenkapitän Helmuth Gießler

03.1942 - 02.1943: Fregattenkapitän Achim Teubner

02.1943 - 12.1943: Korvettenkapitän Edgar Lanz

Erste Artillerieoffiziere (IAO):

01.1939 - 04.1941: Fregattenkapitän Wolf Löwisch

04.1941 - 02.1943: Korvettenkapitän Ernst Dominik

04.1943 - 12.1943: Korvettenkapitän Walter Bredenbreuker

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

I am pleased to have it. His DKiG & High Seas Fleet citations came up for sale just after I bought these but I wasn't in a position to buy them and didn't agree to the price due to the condition of the DKiG citation which wasn't the best.

Hi Kevin,

Nice document grouping, but sad to hear that the grouping was split-up, for me that is destroying history.

Any idea when that award document did receive its drawing in blue ?

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thanks for the comments guys. I've attached a photo of Ernst Dominik.

As for the blue image, it is just a pen sketch on the cover of a semi-transparent folder. When it was done I have no idea I'm afraid. I have attached an image showing the folder without the citations inside it.

A small Kriegsmarine citation set that I've had in my collection for a while. It belongs to a medical officer who served on the battlecruiser Gneisenau during the Norwegian campaign in 1940. I am assuming that the EK II was issued for actions during the clash with HMS Renown on the 9th April 1940 when Gneisenau's foretop was hit by one of Renown's 15" shells and caused some casualties, including the death of one of her gunnery officers.

EK II - dated 16th April 1940 and signe dby Günther Lütjens (RK)
HSF - dated 4th October 1941 and signed by Otto Ciliax (RK & DKiG)
KvK II Kl mit Schw - dated 20th April 1945 and signed by Otto von Rhein

Hi Kevin,

This is a very beautiful and interesting group of Navy battleship Gneisenau.

congratulate

best greetings Marcel,

Kevin - I like this group in that it seems that so many early KM awards were "percentage" awards. In this case we can probably assume that his EK was for his actions as a medical officer during or just after the ship was under fire.

Here are two of my favourite 'singles' in my collection. Personally amongst all he war badge citations across all the service arms I think these two are the nicest looking ones.

The Schnellboot citation was awarded to a member of 2 Schnellbootsflottille and is dated for 11th December 1940. Although the E-Boat Badge wasn't instituted until May 1941, those that served in such units before this date were awarded the Destroyer Badge citation and when the E-Boat Badge was brought into being those previous awardees were issued the E-Boat Badge backdated to when they had received the Destroyer Badge.

The Zerstörer citation is for a silor on the Torpedoboot 'Falke' and is dated for 13th December 1940.

Both citations are signed by Kapitan zur See Bütow (RK)

I completely agree, Kevin. I also really like the 1940 version of the Minesweeper document and the similar 1941 version of the Coastal Artillery document. Both have facsimiles of the badge on the bottom. I think the Coastal Arty version is pretty uncommon but I've seen the Minesweeper one quite a bit over the years. I used to have one, but don't actually have any examples of these nice documents.

Here is a variant of the EK II citation in so much as it was produced onboard a warship during a war cruise. It was produced onboard the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer which left Poland in October 1940 ro commence its first war cruise which was to conduct commerce warfare against Allied merchant shipping. The sortie lasted until March 1941 and was very successful and included the well known sinking of the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS Jervis Bay, whose Captain sacrificed his ship to save the convoy it was meant to protect. Heavily outgunned, HMS Jervis Bay stood little chance but the actions of its Captain ensured that only 5 further ships from the 37-ship convoy were sunk. The Captain of Jervis Bay, Edward Fegen went down with his ship and was awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross.

The citation is signed by the Captain of Admiral Scheer, Theodor Kranke (RK + EL)

This is a great document. I have one as well, dated December 24, 1940, and have also seen one dated in February, 1941. In the end, I wonder if the entire crew, or a significant number, were decorated for Admiral Scheer's long sortie. I have seen the standard format EK award document as well as a KM specific EK document awarded to these guys. A lot of these documents were processed by the spring of 1941; maybe some of the documents out there were made in addition to the "field made" ones done at sea.

right O guys the Km Ukrunde are wonderful in their artistic flair, just to add to Kevin's posting a later war - July of 44 just to show CO Rudi Petersons signature which became the standard signee on the S-Boot Abzeichen

See Attachment: 1

and the crew of S-176 of which the chap was a crewman till wars end.....when S-176 was sunk in a heroic display of courage taking out in my opinion 2 Briti9sh MTB's the first one rammed and cut in 1/2 in Spring 1945.

See Attachment: 2

Kevin:

That is a stunning document! Wow, what a great piece of history you have there. I have a special weakness for those on-board produced items!

Joe

Kevin,

That is indeed a special one you show us here.

Those large ships did have their own print-shop on board, the same one where they made their Bord Zeitung.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

a beautiful minesweeper citation for maschinengefreiten Heinrich Müller.Signed by Kapitän zur Sea Freydmal,winner of DKiG in 1943 and

Heinrich served in the AF(artillerieträgerflottille) based in Dieppe.

and completing the grouping, some photos of members of the AF1(Heinrich is the second one in left in second row),and also a photo where we can see oberleutnant zur sea Thiel,commandant of this ship...

This first document is for you Eric-Jan. ;)

This is a preliminary award document to a crewman from the Hilfskreuzer Thor (Schiff 10 ).

The document is signed by the Commander of the 2nd cruise of Thor,Gunther Gumprich in Yokohama Japan on 6 January 1943.

The Thor was destroyed by fire in Yokohama Harbour on 30 November 1942 due to a series of explosions from the tanker/supply ship Uckermark,that was moored next to her.

Regards,Martin.

Another document from the same crewman as above.

This time his EKII document,again signed by Gumprich in Yokohama a couple of weeks earlier on 24 December 1942.

Here is another document issued in Japan,this time for a crewman from the Hilfskreuzer Michel, (Schiff 28 ).

After a succesful first cruise under the command of Helmuth von Ruckteschell,Michel docked for refit at Kobe Japan 2 March 1943.

Due to illness von Ruckteschell was hospitalized in Tokyo and this particular document was signed by FK Dr.Karl Bohme of the Heimatstab Ausland,on behalf of von Ruckteschell on 26 March 1943.

Former Thor Commander Gunther Gumprich took over command of the Michel.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.