Historical War Militaria Forum
Eric JB

Combat medic wounded in action.

In December 1944, Willi Lange was a Sanitäter Unteroffizier in Grenadier Regiment 915 of the 352 Volksgrenadier Division.

Early in the morning of Saturday 16.12.1944 he crossed the German-Luxemburg border river the Our at Gentingen.

On the river, engineers with cables pulled the rubber boats to the other shore at the Luxemburg side.

Only some of the promised rubber boats (dinghies) had been delivered, and all in all it took some time until his entire battalion had crossed the river.

The 915 went forward into combat order through the valley without any trouble towards Longsdorf and Tandel.

Around 10:00 a.m. the first shots began to fall while they were going through a forest, the Regiment went into the village of Tandel and further on up a slope where they were seen by the Americans, suddenly firing and detonations, tank guns, but they couldn't see the enemy.

The glued in piece of paper on page 22 shows :

"San.-Uffz. Lange        Add in the paybook !

Reason for granting the E.K. 2.nd Class.

San.-Uffz. Lange has in the attack battles on 16.12.44 despite heavy artillery, machine gun and rifle fire and tank armor - recovered and bind up the wounded and while doing that got wounded himself. L. had shown increased mass courage, bravery, coolness and intrepidity."

Please login or register to see this attachment.

You know I love this Soldbuch very much. Thank you for sharing it with us. You don't see this everyday, especially not the EK 2 award reason pasted in the Soldbuch and that he earned it in the Ardennen Offensive!  :love:

P.S. We've some more 352. Infanterie-Division Soldbücher and Wehrpässe posted:

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your kind replies.

This is the only combat medic that I have in my collection, and the only booklet with such a EK.2 reason in it. 

The second one in that quote is the one I posted here in this thread.

I thought that this Soldbuch would also be interesting for the medical collectors on our forum ? 

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Amazing group EJ, but I told you that before.

By the looks of it he was back with the unit around late January 1945? If so, he was just in time back for the fights on the Prüm river.

Here a shot of Gentingen I made a year ago.

Second picture is taken from the Westwall, towards Luxembourg and the hill south of Gentingen. The Our river is located in the middle of the picture.

A few days ago there was a deathcard sold on ebay of a Soldier who fell in Longsdorf. I missed it unfortunately. But he was KIA in January.

• Like 1

Pff... I can't upload pictures anymore with photobucket I see.

All these changes to the forum but where are they good for.

So in that case, sorry no picture's EJ......

Will send them to you by email.

Nick,

Thank you for your reply and for those great photos that I received by email, with that snow, the Our river, the valley and woods that all does really show the area as it was during that day on 16.12.1944.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Pff... I can't upload pictures anymore with photobucket I see.

All these changes to the forum but where are they good for.

So in that case, sorry no picture's EJ......

Will send them to you by email.

Because after a period of time these Imageshack/Photobucket photographs disappear after a while and you get an empty thread. I don't get it, the forum upload system is free and easy too use. Not one had problems using it, if an image is to big it automatically resizes it and we have the biggest file size upload of all Forum. You even can add the attachments to your posts and put them where ever you like.

Look here how to upload attachments: http://www.historicalwarmilitariaforum.com/topic/3036-how-to-upload-an-attachment/ .. 

Very nice pay book, indeed !  :thumbup:  He was also in 352.ID since Normandy theater.

Personly, I belong one medical Flak Sb and few awards docs of a San. Uffz. of 353.ID, himself wounded in Normandy.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your kind replies.

L., I know that he was also in Normandy, but my interest in the 352. is for the Battle of the Bulge.

Maybe you can show us your 352. material here on our forum.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

He didn't take part in Normandy for me.. 29.6.44 he went to Kranken-Sammel-Stelle II (?) for Hemorrhoids.. I don't think he would be fit for service until the Hemorrhoids were gone and when they came up.. I just saw again and he was released from hospital on 30.8.44. So he did not saw action in Normandy for me.

He didn't take part in Normandy for me.. 29.6.44 he went to Kranken-Sammel-Stelle II (?) for Hemorrhoids.. I don't think he would be fit for service until the Hemorrhoids were gone and when they came up.. I just saw again and he was released from hospital on 30.8.44. So he did not saw action in Normandy for me.

Although I did mention "that he was also in Normandy" - hereby not saying that he was fighting or taking part in any action.

But as his Division was stationed in Normandy since November 1943, and as the invasion did start on 6.6.1944, I do think that he was present in the right place at the right moment, I have no idea what he was doing between 6.6.1944 and 29.6.1944 (the day he went up at a medical collecting station with hemorrhoids), but I don't think that he was picking his nose, otherwise he would have visit the medical collecting station earlier - before 29.6.1944, one can't say that he wasn't on duty on 6.6.1944 and the days till 29.6.1944.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Very nice soldbuch EJ. I wouldn't worry to much if he was in Normandy or not. Your interest is in the Bulge and according to his soldbuch he was there. What happened in Normandy what was so important :smile:

Regards

Erwin

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.