Historical War Militaria Forum
Gaston V.

Wall Decorations and Plaque's

Hi,

One of the things i like are plaque's on wood. I don't collect them very actively, but every now and then one arrives. Thought it would be nice to start a topic on them. If you have one or more, please add them under here.

Best regards,

Gaston

----------

Let's start with what is maybe my favorite: a plaque to commemorate Albert Leo Schlageter. In the early days of the movement he was one of the first martyrs of the NSDAP and became somewhat a culthero in Germany throughout the next two decades. Many villages had their own "denkmals" to commemorate his death by a French firesquad in 1923.

I also very much like the "76" Hanseatic shoulderboards that are clearly visible on the plaque.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Under here: a period artists rendering of the moments just before his death: still standing proud opposite of the French!

Next one is in the same style and from 1936: Von Hindenburg

Although some plaque's could be bought or were sometimes even awarded, this one was a gift:

Next is a little plaque by the Rad (Labour Service). If im not istaken these were official commemorative plaques that some groups handed out to men who had done their labour service duty. On the reverse is a celluloid frame that could house a photo. This one is from group 6/76 Wittbek

The next one is in the same "Arbeit Adelt" theme, but it is actually an enourmous plaque that measures 40 by 32 cm and has quite ome weight to it. The depicted scenery shows a blacksmith and a farmer with their respective tools, but also a German eagle sitting on a pile of books. All is symbolic for what was thought in the mid 1930's needed to built a strond Germany. On the underside is a dedication written: ARBEIT ADELT -  Zum 40 Jähr Geschäftsjubiläum - Gewidmet von den Gefolgschaft 1.10.1937 .

Close up:

Another one related to labour, it has the same theme as the Arbeit Adelt one above here, but only a slightly different design: the labour worker, the intellectual, the farmer, all work int heir own way and were all seen as contributors to Germany. On the underside is a saying by Hitler to illustrate this: "Ehret die Arbeit und achtet den Arbeiter" (Honour labour and respect the worker).

This plaque is by Muller from Erfurt

Detail:

Here's another favorite: a plaque for actual participants in the Ostlandflug 1939: From Danzig to Memel on 20-5-1939 / 21-5-1939

This is an extremely rare pre-war plaque. It is from a group of many items i have of Heinz Haller, one of pre-war Germany's most experienced civilian pilots.

Ont he reverse is still the original sticker from the Danzig area jeweler that made the plaque. This is the only plaque for the Ostlandflug i have ever seen so far and i doubt many were made at all.

The next one is again from the Heinz Haller group and is also a commemorative plaque for participating pilots, but this time for the Deutschlandflug of 1935 in Breslau. On top is the logo of the DLV and is also written Fliegerortsgruppe Breslau des D.L.V

This little plaque is also extremely rare and just like the Danzig one the only one i've ever found.

Best regards,

Gaston

detail:

Next one is from the Dutch NSB, it's a groupprize for participating in the Amsterdam-Weesp marsch of 20-3-1943. It's again a quite rare plaque to find and im only aware of threee others in collections:

And the last one for today, another NSB groupprize. this one is for groups participating in the 1942 Christmasmarch. Aslo quite rare with less than a handfull known to exist in collections. I hope no one minds the bit heavier watermarks as i intend to publish these int he future.

best regards,

Gaston

Very nice plaques Gaston!

Here are a few of mine on wood.

1936 RPT plaque.

The Feldherrnhalle.

Hi Erich,

Very nice additions to the topic.

That Feldherrnhalle is also a real stunner! I've been after one to go with my Bo but they don't want to be found easily.

best regards,

Gaston

Yes Gaston, a must for a collector with a BO!

By the way, I picked up my FHH plaque from Weitze so you may want to keep an eye out on his site.

Hello Gaston V- very, very nice examples, I also like plaques on wood, I have a couple of the same RAD plaques but I also like Adler on Wood plaques, here are a couple of examples of these, one Luftwaffe & one Heer, Cheers, Phil

Here is  mine  from  the  Reichs  Chancellery  building project

Jim

Nice Jim, I only like these plaques in cast iron.

Speaking of Breker,  here is my very large cast iron 35lb Breker Hitler profile plaque.

• Like 1

Guess I should add my bronze Horst Wessel plaque as well.

Nice Jim, I only like these plaques in cast iron.

Speaking of Breker,  here is my very large cast iron 35lb Breker Hitler profile plaque.

That is a rare piece. ;o) Would make a great decorater for the front door of the house, sure the wife would be o.k with that.

I am interested in the ship wappen which is the crests of the warships.  If anyone has some like these, let me know.  I picked this one up from the collectors Guild recently.  From the Kreuzer Leipzig.

Thanks,

JustinG

There are some outstanding pieces shown here,very fine indeed.

This is my favorite and it is made entirely of wood.It is postwar and is dedicated to Korv-Kapt Jung,who was the I.O on the first cruise of the HK THOR.

Just very fine woodwork and a piece i have hanging on the wall.The personal inscription from a THOR crewmen on the reverse makes it even more special IMO.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.