Historical War Militaria Forum
GWilliamson

The Ultimate Iron Cross Book ?

-at least for Imperial collectors, though I suspect that many TR collectors will want this one too.

Two large format hardback volumes in a slip case total over 850 pages and feature over 1500 photos mostly in colour. The first volume covers the history of the Iron Cross itself whilst the second volume is a study of specific examples of actual crosses.

With such a huge range of private purchase variants of Imperial crosses produced no book could ever hope to catalogue every single one, but where Dr. Wernitz has excelled is in the coverage of the official producers of the EK and the study of the various core patterns used by each.

As always with this publisher the quality of the books themselves is top quality and crystal clear images on quality glossy paper.

At €149.90 for two very large volumes this set compares favourably with some smaller single volume militaria books.

Although new and additional information always turns up after the apperance of any book, it is difficult to imagine this set ever being surpassed as "THE" work on the Imperial Iron Cross. 

The book is due to go to the printers this month so should be appearing very soon.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Great to see a catologued book dedicated to the study of the Imperial cross.

Hope you keep us updated as to release date.

Kind regards

Dani

Just  a quick update. The book went to the printers yesterday. Also yesterday I received through the post an invitation to attend the official launch of the book at Ingolstadt Castle on 14 March. so I guess the book will be available by then.

March is of course the 200th anniversary of the foundation of the Iron Cross !

My copies of the book arrived today and I have to say that seeing in "in the flesh" it is even more awesome than I had anticipated.  Verlag Militaria has always had a high reputation for quality and this set is no exception. Printed on high quality glossy paper, superbly bound and with the highest quality of images, it really is a stunning work. The two volumes, with the slip case weigh well over 5 kilos !

The first volume is a real goldmine of historical information, looking at issue such as the issue of the Iron Cross to German Jews, the inequality in awards to officers and lower ranks, the "devaluation" of the Iron Cross due to the over-liberal awarding of it during WW1, the various manufacturers and sub-contractors for the crosses.

Amongst other things Dr Wernitz puts outb a totally convincing argument which (for me at least) finally settles the identitity of the manufacturer of the KO marked crosses as Klein & Quenzer of Oberstein.

Another fascinating fact that emerges is that those crosses with an 800, or 835 etc silver hallmark are not special higher grade crosses, better than the unmarked pieces, as the unmarked pieces are actually 938 silver.

Without a doubt, the best book on the subject of the Iron Cross ever written and should be a must for every medal collector.

• Like 1