Historical War Militaria Forum
Martin W.

Lance Collector ?

Could someone explain to me what the words "Lance Collector" mean.I have noticed these words above my avatar.?

Just curious.

Regards,Martin.

I'm testing the posting count ranking system, therefor I created some "Collector Ranks", they are not definite I still search for good ideas and suggestions.

Could someone explain to me what the words "Lance Collector" mean.I have noticed these words above my avatar.?

Just curious.

Regards,Martin.

Hi Martin

It means you are a "Jousting" good fellow... :squint:

Sorry Mate, I could not resist!

Best Regards, fischer

You've got to see it in the context not to each word itself, like ex. a "Lance Corporal" isn't "Sword Corporal", I try to make a good functional system. I'm still looking for more or future ideas, should anyone have any.. Please, let me know.

Hi Bart,

I write as another 'Lance Collector' -- and I wonder why it is seen as necessary to assign titles to contributors to this forum based assumedly upon the total number of notes each person writes? Some people are simply more extraverted than others and they find the opportunity to add a word to many discussions; others are more restrictive with their comments. This willingness to add a word -- or not to -- should not be seen in terms of seniority within our hobby, IMHO. For myself, I have been studying and collecting TR history for over 50 years and I try to share some of the experience those many years has brought me with other collectors who have perhaps not had as diverse a background in this exciting hobby as I have enjoyed. But while my years of experiences have been rewarding to me, they have also made me aware of how much I DON'T know, and that has opened my mind to the input of my fellows on this forum and elsewhere.

In any event, is it really necessary to go to the trouble of assigning such tltes and categories to contributors; couldn't their contributions speak for them?

Br. James

• Like 1

Hi James,

Most if not all of the points you raise have been mentioned and discussed by the moderators and I for one agree with pretty much everything you say.

It is the quality of the contributions that is important not the quantity and it should be obvious to the members whose opinions are worth listening to without the need for such titles or merely by noting the post count.

This is still a young forum and as such many aspects of it have or will be changed as experience is gained, so bear with us and hopefully sooner or later everything will be sorted in the best possible manner.

Hi Bart,

I write as another 'Lance Collector' -- and I wonder why it is seen as necessary to assign titles to contributors to this forum based assumedly upon the total number of notes each person writes? Some people are simply more extraverted than others and they find the opportunity to add a word to many discussions; others are more restrictive with their comments. This willingness to add a word -- or not to -- should not be seen in terms of seniority within our hobby, IMHO. For myself, I have been studying and collecting TR history for over 50 years and I try to share some of the experience those many years has brought me with other collectors who have perhaps not had as diverse a background in this exciting hobby as I have enjoyed. But while my years of experiences have been rewarding to me, they have also made me aware of how much I DON'T know, and that has opened my mind to the input of my fellows on this forum and elsewhere.

In any event, is it really necessary to go to the trouble of assigning such tltes and categories to contributors; couldn't their contributions speak for them?

Br. James

Dear James,

Thanks for your input. "and I wonder why it is seen as necessary to assign titles to contributors to this forum based assumedly upon the total number of notes each person writes" this ranking system is just called in - at this moment - to give new members a title to their posting count, it has nothing to do in relationship to how or what they contribute. They receive an individual title later on in appreciation what and how they contribute, this to encourage such behaviour and the "fun" which comes with contributing. It is just a small "reward" to thank and show our appreciation. If people work on only their posting count and not contribute anything to the Forum, they will receive no more than just that "post rank title".

I will buy an award system later for our Forum to encourage this (positive input and contribution ways) and award member that contribute and let our members learn, so more people are encouraged to do so and not only work on the posting count. That is why we currently also have a "reputation" system.

In short with the ranking we do not divide the Forum or recognize members working only on their post count but only to give new and regular visiting members a 'rank' title to give posting that little more fun. In advance - after (new or regular visiting) members whom contribute or share information, show helpfulness to others and/ or other positive input or contribution ways for our Forum - award them with a recognizition to show our appreciation and thankness. This award does not stand in similarity with their post count! So even a member whom only have 50 post but contributes very well, can earn such award. And members that have a posting count of 1000 but do not contribute much, will receive not such an award. This will encourage more good posting rather than people whom post merely for their post count.

Dear Bart and Jerry,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my earlier questioning post. I appreciate your responsiveness.

One further note in the same vein: I now see that while I had formerly been classified or 'awarded' as a "Lance Collector," my last post has me classified as an "Enlisted Member." That seems to indicate that I my standing has been demoted...or am I misunderstanding the terminology here?

A blessed Eastertide to you both,

Br. James

Peterm, no it does not  :squint:  After 100 posts it starts again but "Enlisted Member" came in the place of "Lance Collector" due the feedback.