Historical War Militaria Forum
GWilliamson

Austrian Bravery Medal with Award Document

Always quite liked these Austrian Medals, very high quality striking in my experience, but this is the first one I have had with an award document. Quite an elaborate document for such a diminutive little medal.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hi Gordon!

A very nice award-doc! I always regretted, that Austria normally didn't give the soldiers a document for the awarded medals. In most cases they only got a very small "Legitimation" which often got lost after the war.

One question: is Your ribbon damaged? I'm asking because of the mount of Your medal. It should be mounted the way that can be seen on mine.

Kind regards, Peter

Hi Gordon,

Most Austian WWI medals award citations are so much rarer than the awards themselves. I had not seen this document before, indeed a very elaborate document for such a common medal. If i find the time i'll post some of my Austrian awards later this weekend.

best regards,

Gaston 

One question: is Your ribbon damaged? I'm asking because of the mount of Your medal. It should be mounted the way that can be seen on mine.

Hi Peter,

No its not damaged , it had just been incorrectly fitted.

At the same time I got this set, I also picked up the large size "Fortudini" and the small size "Tapferkeit" in silver. I noticed there is soime variations in the ribbons on these (broader vs narrower stripes etc). Are these just manufacturer variations or is there some sort of time period during which various types were used ?

I also noticed that both the silver medals have a tiny stamp on the edge . Looks like a letter "A" within a circle. Am I correct in thinking this is the stamp for Vienna ?

Austrian stuff seems to be greatly under-rated which is a shame as it really is very nice quality.

Look forward to seeing some of your Austrian pieces Gaston !

Hi Peter,

No its not damaged , it had just been incorrectly fitted.

At the same time I got this set, I also picked up the large size "Fortudini" and the small size "Tapferkeit" in silver. I noticed there is soime variations in the ribbons on these (broader vs narrower stripes etc). Are these just manufacturer variations or is there some sort of time period during which various types were used ?

I also noticed that both the silver medals have a tiny stamp on the edge . Looks like a letter "A" within a circle. Am I correct in thinking this is the stamp for Vienna ?

Austrian stuff seems to be greatly under-rated which is a shame as it really is very nice quality.

Look forward to seeing some of your Austrian pieces Gaston !

Hi Gordon!

The "A" is the "Amtspunzierung of Hauptmünzamt Wien" (from 1875 on) and means it's made from silver (or gold). If You will find a "star (=Asterisk)", than this means it's NOT gold or silver. Platin was not used for common Austrian decorations.

The different ribbons are due to the long time, these ribbons were used. Eary medals (e.g. from 1848) have smaller stripes, are wider and the "red" is nearly a "purple" color. Ribbons before WWI were "thicker", in WWI the quality began to get "thin" and worse.

Here are two of my medals:

1) Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille I. Klasse FJ I. (last type)

2) Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille I. Klasse Karl mit 1 Spange (for 2nd awarding)

3) Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille II. Klasse FJ I. (last type)

4) Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille II. Klasse Karl

Kind regards, Peter

Hi again!

Sorry for the wrong backside of medal No. 2! Here is the correct one!

Kind regards, Peter

Very nice medals guys! I agree they are highy under rated. The gold grade is very very hard to find. By the way, they are Austro-Hungarian awards.  :smile:

Very nice medals guys! I agree they are highy under rated. The gold grade is very very hard to find. By the way, they are Austro-Hungarian awards.  :smile:

Of course, You are right, Hans! :smile:

Kind regards, Peter

That document that started this thread is really nice and unusual. I had not heard that such "Schmuck" type documents were given. I'm assuming it was a unit thing and had nothing to do with the government.

1st Class Silver Certificate: -

www.erikscollectables.com/2019/02/26/the-austro-hungarian-bravery-medals-in-ww1/

0000.jpg.d64ddf8542b61253aa830310d795ca6d.jpg

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.