Historical War Militaria Forum
Martin W.

My Grandad's medals.

Here are a couple of photo's i have of him.

One as a Sergeant,taken about 1918/19 and the the other when he was a W.O 1 in the 1930's.

Regards,Martin.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

Good to see your Grandfathers medals.  Do you have them as they should have his service number on the edge and should be researchable if you have not already done it.

Martin,

That  is one  beautiful  group . IMO, that  British  Army of  August  1914  was probably  the best  the  world has  ever  seen, and despite being not  alot  more  that  the Police  Force of  the  Empire, It  was  supremely  disciplined, professional and  deadly. Alas,  it  all  but  faded  away  after  those  battles of  November  1914.

I  was on  the  Aisne  in  September  2011  and  visited  those cemeteries  that  now  contain  many of  those  great  men that  helped  turn  the  tide. We  certainly  will  not  see  their  like  again.

Great  group , and  one  to  be very proud  of

Jim

Hi Martin,

Do you have them as they should have his service number on the edge and should be researchable if you have not already done it.

Yes,i have them Jerry.They are all named and numbered and i have his medal card also.

Thanks for the comments guys,and yes Jim i am very proud of them.

Regards,Martin.

This is really a treasure you have Martin...a dream for most of us...pieces with name,history and from family!!!

Congratulations!!!

Very nice inded Martin. For me any medal wih a family connection is far superior to even the rarest of "collectors pieces".

Fantastic that you have those photos of him in uniform. Sounds like he took pride in serving his country.

Very nice inded Martin. For me any medal wih a family connection is far superior to even the rarest of "collectors pieces".

I have to agree with you 100% Gordon.

These are a treasure to me.I also have my uncle John's Medals from WWII and beyond.He passed away a few years ago and i will post them in a seperate thread later.He was in the Royal Corps of Signals,attached to the Parachute Regiment.

Thanks to the rest of you guys for your comments,it is much appreciated. :smile:

Here,is close up of the insignia on the sleeve of grandad from the 1918/19 photo.

Seems like he was a busy man.The spur at the top of the sleeve denotes that was a "rough rider" and the crossed swords,i beleive are the insignia of a "PT Instuctor".

Regards,Martin.

A sentimental photo here and i hope you do not mind that i post this one.

This is the only picture i have of myself and grandad.He died when i very young.

Form left to right is my older brother,my maternal grandmother and then grandad.The "little tyke" he his holding in his arms is your truly.

I figure the photo had to be taken in about 1956.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 1

Hi Martin,

.  Do you have them as they should have his service number on the edge and should be researchable if you have not already done it.

Hi Jerry,

here is a copy of his medal card.

There is a stamp at the top of the card that is very hard to make out .

The stamp is as follows,

MEDAL

VICTORY

BRITISH

STAR

Regards,Martin.

Thanks for sharing this true family grouping to your grandfather, fully agree with Mr. Williamson. Condolence to the early loss of your grandfather, sad that he couldn't tell the many stories he had to you, you can't get the first hand experiences from anyone else. A big thank to you, Martin!

At one stage the crossed swords were awarded to the best swordsman in a unit, I'll try and look it up when I have a chance.

Thanks for showing the extra items.

On 13-3-2013 at 9:50 PM, Jerry B said:
At one stage the crossed swords were awarded to the best swordsman in a unit, I'll try and look it up when I have a chance.

At one time,maybe Jerry ?

I originally posted my granddad's medals at the GMIC forum in March 2007.

One of the members,Leigh,made the following comment in regards to the sleeve insignia.

"He's wearing a Rough Riders badge (the spur) and also the crossed swords of a Gymnastics Instructor above the gun and chevrons".

If you can come up with any additional information Jerry,that would be great.

Also,thanks Bart for your kind words.

Regards,Martin.

Again,thanks to Leigh at GMIC,i have a slightly better looking and enhanced copy of grandad's medal card.

Marin. An old thread I know. But was just thinking your Grandfather would have been entitled to the Defence medal if he served in the Home Guard long enough. 18 months I think. My maternal Grandfather served in an AA battery in the Home Guard in Walthamstow.  

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, Graham said:

Marin. An old thread I know. But was just thinking your Grandfather would have been entitled to the Defence medal if he served in the Home Guard long enough. 18 months I think. My maternal Grandfather served in an AA battery in the Home Guard in Walthamstow.  

I agree Graham.

Having just talked to dad he thinks he served at least two years at Woolwich Arsenal and then transferred to a "desk job" at Greenford,Middlesex ?

I wonder if the Defence Medal was an award you applied for in some cases,and maybe grandad just never bothered to apply ?

I wish I had a way of checking his WWII service records,if  they exist.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,Martin.

• Like 1

Dad recalled that he remembered grandad wearing one of the these badges in his lapel later in civilian life.

This one is not his but I managed to find one online.

A nice addition I think.

Cheers,Martin.

• Like 2

I love  these Old Contemptible badges.Those guys were so proud that they had been there from the beginning..That is a nice one Martin

Jim

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.