Historical War Militaria Forum
E-Maus

Luftwaffe Honor Goblet

A nice addition to collection :squint:
 None important RK winner , normal Oberfeldwebel. But Pokal dated 30.05.1941, so one of the latest manufactured from silver
Jacek

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Hey Jacek, superb Kopal. :thumbup:  I would love to own one. Who care about the fact that it is not an important RK winner... its a wonderful piece of history

Beautiful one Jacek, I love the detail of the eagle on these items, they are superb quality products, congrats!

you're right E-Maus, it does not belong to an important RK winner. So I think it is unnecessary that you keep it. i can alleviate you from it whenever you want. :biggrin:

seriously, wonderful, i have no words................................

This Honor Goblet was awarded to Hauptmann Paul Claas.  Claas was subsquently declared KIA.  From sources, it states he crashed and was in a life boat, but refused to surrender to Soviet forces, who then shot him (murder?).

This is the silver edition of this award.

• Like 1

What  an  amazing piece. These  Goblets  are  absolutely  beautiful and  so  nice  to  be  able  to  add  history to  it. The  craftsmanship is  outstanding IMO

Thank  you  for  showing  this wonderful Goblet coupled  with  the photograph of  the  recipient .This  is  what  history is  about.   :smile:

I  always  feel  we  never actually own  these  items,  we are merely  custodians of  them.

Jim

• Like 1

E-Maus:

Hello! Thank you for sharing your Luftwaffe Honor Goblet with the Forum. Any one winning a RK played an important part in history, goblet is a fantastic addition to your collection. 

Best regards,

John

Jacek and Kegan,

Thank you both for showing your honor goblets.

In my humble opinion the silver versions are the most beautiful ones.

Kegan,

" From sources, it states he crashed and was in a life boat, but refused to surrender to Soviet forces, who then shot him (murder?)."

I don't think that one can call that murder, he refused to surrender to Soviet forces, what else could they do instead of shooting at him, .....leaving him in his life boat, waving to him and say good-by and till later or next time ?

I did search on the internet and see that the history is a bit different from what you wrote here in this thread.

Für seinen 300. Feindflug wird er mit der Frontflugspange für Kampfflieger in Gold mit Anhänger und am 14.03.1943 als Major und Kommandeur der I. Gruppe im Kampfgeschwader 100 mit dem Ritterkreuz ausgezeichnet.
In der Nacht vom 19. auf den 20.06.1943 musste die Besatzung Claas, bestehend aus dem Flugzeugführer Feldwebel Franz Dittrich, dem Bordfunker Feldwebel Klaus Fritsche und dem Bordschützen Obergefreiter Hubert Both, mit ihrer He 111 H-11 "6N+MH" auf dem Asowschen Meer notlanden. Alle Besatzungsmitglieder überlebten die Notlandung und wurden kurze Zeit später von einem sowjetischen Schiff entdeckt und gefangengenommen. Claas verweigerte jedoch die Heerausgabe (typo on that site as it should be Herausgabe) seines persönlichen Besitzes und wurde daraufhin im Schlauchboot sitzend erschossen. Hubert Both verstarb am 07.09.1943 in einem Kriegsgefangenenlager in Astrachan.

However Claas refused to hand-over his personal property and was then shot dead while sitting in the rubber dinghy.

That is something totally different, it doesn't say that he refused to surrender, it says that he didn't want to give them his personal property.

Being shot for that can be called murder !

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Eric.  Thanks for the update on how he died.  Recently I had someone respond to me that he has the documents for Paul Claas and (especially the Honor Goblet award) wanted to know if I'd sell the goblet to him.  Of course I counted would he sell me the documents.  Would be great if the documents and the goblet could be reunited.  But I did offer to trade with him for another goblet under certain conditions.  Claas was a Knight's Cross winner and also a pilot, so If he could find a goblet of someone with similar awards, then we could talk turkey.

In furtherance of my showing the picture of the Paul Claas Pokal above, I was recently contacted by a person who has most of his award documents.  Funny thing is, he wants to buy the goblet, and I want to buy the documents.  So unless one of us gives in sometime in the future, both the goblet and the documents will contunue to go their separate ways.  Someday, they may be reunited with each other and then, that will be a good thing.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.