Historical War Militaria Forum

Hi,

Here's a few Vichy items i got over the years. Besides David Littlejohns Foreign Legions book (which is from the 70's!) that has a chapter on the French collaboration items, im not aware of any other good books. If anyone could add information, please do, i'd love to learn more and there doesn't seem to be much online regarding these items.

First here's a badge with on top written: Stalag.IV.A. This was the first Vichy badge i added to my collection. After a lot of searching i recieved a reproduction poster from the 1970s with an image of the Stalag on it. This a prisoner of war camp, was particularly used for housing men (officers?) of occupied countries. After the defeat of France about two million french ended up in German camps, one of them being this one. However, i think that after the Vichy movement collaborated with the Germans, some french (Vichy members?) were released. This badge is probably a commemorative badge for those former Stalag IV prisoners. I should mention that the poster of the camp shows a sort of modelcamp, with a swimmngpool, tenniscourt, et cetera. It doesn seem to be the most exteme of the German wartime camps. Ill post the poster later. The badge self is quite rare.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Next a rather simple badge in again shieldform, just a white background with only a "francisque" in the centre.

Unfortunately i don't know any more information as to the exact purpose of this badge. (member badge, supporterbadge ??? )

Next is here a badge that i can't find any info on neither. A similar looking badge (with different design) i found via google and had the description that that one was a "Beret badge, worn by Vichy Phalanx and Milice members". It could be that this one had a similar purpose, i have no clue actually ...  Any help would be more than welcome!

Next here's a few items from the Legion Francaise des Combattants. This was a umbrella veteransorganisation that was instituted on 29 August 1940.

The small cloth item is believed to be a cloth beret emblem.

Here's a small pin which i believe is a supporters pin for supporters of the regime:

Next a very small badge (size about similar to a European 1 cent coin!) with the image of Phillipe Petain. Im not 100% sure this is a WWII badge, as also in WWI he was very popular, but i got it together with some other badges and think it has a good chance to be of WWII production. It is probably again some sort of supporters pin to be worn on a suits lapel.

Here's a few badges of the Chantiers de la Jeunesse Vichy Labour Service), im not sure but think these remained active shortly after the war as well? Here are three different ones:

Great  stuff  Gaston. Petain is  a  great  WW1  hero for  me. Pity  he  is  no  laid  to  rest  as  he  wished  with  his  soldiers  at  Verdun

i  find  the  Vichy  stuff interesting.

Jim

Vichy NSKK armshield and photo of such shield being worn (photocredits to HWMF member Coloprimus):

Hi Jim,

Thanks, Vichy items are indeed interesting. They are not always easy to find, but are great fun to collect.

Petain's role in history is difficult. A hero in WWI that fought the Germans, but an antisemitic demented old man who collaborated in WWII with the old (and new) enemy and bring thus shame to many french people. Laying him to rest among his men was probably still too painfull in 1951. His name will however always be connected to WWI and Verdun in particular.

Here are some other cloth emblems and just for fun a little groupshot.

If anyone else has some Vichy items or more information, please post it under here.

Best regards,

Gaston

This is  great  stuff  Gaston  and  I  have  to  be  honest , totally  new  to  me. The  NSKK armshield is  a  superb  piece  and  must  be incredibly  rare.

This is  what  makes  forums like  this  so  valuable to    collectors and  historians.

Thanks  for  showing  these important items

Jim

Hi guys,

This weekend arrived two CJF cloth arm badges. I have been very sceptical about these for a long time as these are almost always available and there seem to be way too much around. After some reading and comparing im slowly starting to believe in these. It appears there have been massive overstocks, hence the many mint ones for sale. Im still also looking for some kind of overview of what types were made, as it seems there are quite some different ones in different cloth, colours and even sizes. I am aware there are a few online (French) sites that list all the different branches/groups of the CJF, and that is probably a collectingfield on it's own. For now i added these two general ones of the Chantiers de la jeunesse Française (French Vichy CJF Youth sleeve badges):

The blue one in the above post is one of the types that seems to be the most around, but these same sleeve badges also came in different colours.

Here is is one with a dark green background. It has also been unused and cut of a rol:

Gaston,

These  are  very interesting items.  I  certainly  have  never  seen  their  like  before. Was  the  CJF a  large  organisation?

Jim

Hi Jim,

The CJF (Chantiers de la Jeunesse), was a sort of French equivalent of the Labour Service (Wiki calls it a paramilitary organisation), and was mainly for the youth and organised in youth camps. The whole organisation's (political) standpoints appears to be quite hard to understand, with some groups being pro- and others (in French colonies in Africa) contra the Germans. The organisation existed (again info from Wiki) from 1940 till 1944. From what i've found many (most? all?) of these youthcamps or youthgroups had their own cloth (and sometimes metallic) insignia. Collecting those would be a whole collecting field on it's own. The ones i posted in my previous post are i think the general insignia all members wore on their sleeves.

Unfortunately all sites that are about this subject seem to be in French language which makes it for a non French language speaker quite hard to understand, under here is a link to a French wiki site translated by google translate, althought some of the sentences are not the best translated it does give some more background:

http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffr.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FChantiers_de_la_jeunesse_fran%25C3%25A7aise'>TRANSLATED LINK

Best regards,

Gaston

Don't know if i should ad them here...feel free to move if needed!

Vichy police buttons;

• Like 1

Thanks for  adding  these  to  the thread. Interesting  to  see  them You  always  see  something  new  on  this  forum. :thumbup:

Jim

Wonderful topic.  Wonderful collections and thank you for sharing/posting.  These items are harder to come by as supporters of the regime would have been hunted down the same as their Nazi bretherin as the Allies regained France in '44.  Much of these items I would assume would have been disposed/destroyed. 

Really nice items shown.

Regards,
JustinG

I  think  this  is  an interesting  film, not  directly  related  to  the Vichy  topic  but  nevertheless  interesting with  actual  Charlemagne  veterans and  their  views

Jim

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.