Historical War Militaria Forum
Kevin H

Johannes Troitzsch - Oberstleutnant i.G. - Poland, France, Barbarossa, Cholm, Stalingrad, Kursk, Normandy, Ardennes

I've had this Wehrpass for a couple of years and it is still one of my favourites. It belonged to career officer Johannes Troitzsch who began his military career in 1928 with Fahr-Abteilung 4 in which he served as an Officer cadet while a Gefreiter. After a number of promotions he was finally commissioned in April 1933.

The WP was opened in 1938 while he was serving with Aufkl.Rgt 6 holding the rank of Hauptmann. From there he went for his first spell at the Kriegsakademie to be trained as a Staff Officer, thus upon completion he held the rank of Hauptmann i.G. (i.G. standing for im Generalstab).

The Wehrpass has a great photo of Troitzsch in uniform and interestingly he is wearing a tunic that does not have the German Eagle on the right breast.

If anyone can help in identifying the signature of the Kdr of I/Aufkl.Rgt 6 (or maybe the Regiment itself) as seen on Page 1 it would be much appreciated. I have checked the Das Deutsche Heer 1939 book but unless I have missed something I have had no luck.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

What I particulary like about this WP and officer's career is that he was involved in a huge percentage of the well known campaigns that involved the German Heer.

In his various assignments (I have attached his entry in the Generalstabs book in the previous post to make following his career path easier) he was involved at the fighting at The Battle Of Bzura & Warsaw in Poland in 1939, France in 1940, the military mission to Romania in 1941 and Barbarossa.

Following on from that during the encirclement and fighting at the Cholm siege in 1942 he was the Quartermaster in the Generalstab of XXXIX Armeekorps so was involved in the resupply planning for the trapped German forces. From there he went to the staff of 4 Pz.Armee as Ic (Chief Intelligence Officer)  so was involved at Stalingrad (although when the Russians counterattacked in November 1942 he found himself outside the pocket) and Kursk in 1943.

In August 1944 he served on the Staff of 9 Pz.Division in Normandy as Ia (Chief Of Operations) as an Oberstleutnant i.G. (to which he was promoted in March 1943) having taken over from Major i.G. Frhr von Rotberg. Due to the performance of the division it is known that the Divisional Commander and his Chief Of Staff were relieved of their positions. However I have yet to find anything that actually names Troitzsch as being the Staff Officer who was relieved but I believe it is him as the date of him leaving 9 Pz.Division matches the date that the Divisional Commander (Generalmajor Gerhard Müller) also left.

However, if he was relieved of his position it didn't seem to stop him for long as a month later he held the Ia position with 62 Volksgrenadier Division and it was with this division that he was involved in The Battle Of The Bulge. In February 1945 he went back into Führer-Reserve.

From another collector or researcher I have been able to obtain some details of his final assessment during his time with 9 Pz.Division. It is not shown here as I do not have the actual images of it but it reads...

Kurze Beurteilung:

Einwandfreier Charakter von grundanständiger Gesinnung. Vor dem Feinde bewährt. Seine dienstlichen Kenntnisse als Generalstabsoffizier sind gut. Klare Anschauungen, die Theorie liegt ihm jedoch mehr als die Praxis, hier felht es an der notwendigen Wendigkeit. Hat unter der Div.-Führung der letzten Tage (10.-16.9.1944) seine Kenntnisse und Fähigkeiten nicht entfalten können, zumal da ihm und seinen Mitarbeitern nicht die entsprechende Zeit zur Ruhe und Entspannung gegeben war.

Geistig rege, körperlich groß, kräftig und ausdauernd. Guter Kamerad.

Starke Seiten: Treffend in Lagebeurteilungen.

Schwache Seiten: Neigt zu pessimistischer Einstellung.

Zusammenfassendes Urteil: Durchschnitt

Beitrag des Chefs des Generalstabes der vorgesetzten Kdo.Behörde:

Ohne straff Führung noch nicht krisenfest. Muß noch lernen, gegebenen Lagen sich wendiger und schwungvoller anzupassen.
[signature]
Oberst i.G. und Chef des Gen.St.LXXXI.A.K.

Zusätze vorgesetzter Dienstellen:

Ruhig und klar, bedarf aber eines starken Antriebes. Setzt sich sonst nicht genügend durch und verliert den Ueberblick.
[signature]
Generalleutnant m.d.F.des LXXXI.A.K. beauftragt

TRANSLATED… (apologies but have had to use Google Translator)

Brief assessment:

Impeccable character of fundamental decency. Proven before the enemy. His official knowledge of the general staff are good. Clear intuitions that his theory is more than just the practice, here it felht the necessary agility. Has under the division command of the last days (10th-09.16.1944) are not able to develop his skills and abilities, especially since he and his employees were not given adequate time for rest and relaxation.

Mentally alert, physically big, strong and enduring. Good friend.

Strengths: Aptly in assessments.

Weak sides: Tends to be pessimistic attitude.

Summarizing verdict: Average

Post of the Chief of General Staff of the superior Kdo.Behörde:
 Without firm leadership is not crisis-proof. Must still learn, given positions are more maneuverable and spirited match.
     [signature]
     I.G. colonel and chief of Gen.St.LXXXI.A.K.

Additives superior authority:

Quiet and clear, but requires a strong drive. Is otherwise not by enough, losing the overview.
     [signature]
     Lieutenant General m.d.F.des LXXXI.A.K. commissioned

During his military career he was awarded:

Service Award IV Class

EK II (1939)

Westwall Medal

EK I (1940)

Ost Medal

Romanian Award

KvK II Kl mit Schwertern

He also held a driving license for Class 1, 2 & 3 vehicles, was proficient at horse riding and also had a talent for languages, being able to speak four different languages including Greek, French & English so all in all he was a well educated man.

Wow Kevin, that is a spectacular WP! He was certainly well placed to witness many momentous battles. I often came across his name during the research for my Cholm book – and indeed, mentioned him once in the book – but I was unaware that he was with 4. Panzerarmee at Stalingrad. It seems he took over the Ic position just as the army's units were entering Stalingrad-South. I've got a couple of WPs to members of Hoth's army staff and they have the same pre-printed campaign sheets. 

Really nice!  :thumbup:  I'm envious. 

All the best, 

Jason

Kevin H.:

Thank you for sharing your outstanding Wehpress with the forum, excellent background information regarding career.

Best regards,

John

Hi Kevin!

Many thanks for posting this very interesting Wehrpaß and also for Your explaination!

The Romanian award ist: "Orden der Krone von Rumänien V. Klasse mit Schwertern am Bande für Tapferkeit" (= ORDER OF THE ROMANIAN CROWN 5th CLASS WITH SWORDS ON RIBBON FOR BRAVERY).

Kind regards, Peter

Hi Kevin,

Your man did clearly see a lot of Europe during his voyage through Europe with Adolf's Travel Agency.

Nice Wehrpaß, and I do like that uniform photo in it, and a fine description to your presentation.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.