Historical War Militaria Forum
Pierre C.

Fallschirmjäger badge good or not?

I would like to have your opinion on this one. There is a faded Juncker marking in the back (hard to see on the pic but possible with a magnifier). The weight is 34g which should match with a type "J" hybrid (Durante's book on the FJ badges). The flat-topped rivets are there.

Pierre

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Hello Pierre,

in my opinion a nice original Juncker as you said, to tell you the truth I can't see the mm at all, but thats not a problem, they do exist and 100% accepted. One question, what do you think about the rivet on the right, looks ifferent than the left one, and also some paint loss around the eagle on that area.

I see some red flags on this one..... The catch is not from brass and not the shape i would expect. The eagle have poor details. Its defenitely not a type J as the flaw is not present. I do see an attemp of a MM witch is unusual for juncker. I'm not the best at these and hope Tom will pass by and look at it.

Indeed unusual for Nickel Silver Type D catch and pin tip, but it still looks like a nice piece

Jacek

ps:

Such catch shows Previtera in page 322 of his book

I don't understand why you say that the eagle is poorly made Seb, looks a typical Juncker to me, just the gold finish has already gone, the swastika has the typical cut outs too.

Hello all,

well, I am also not sure about this badge. At first sight it looks ok, but if you take your time and have a closer look you will find some features " worth to be discussed" :-)

IMO the badge shows signs of different Juncker Para badges united in this one....eg the rivets...the left rivet is another type of rivet than the right rivet.

Catch and needle also no to be expected on this.

The weight of 34 gr is close to the type J, but the badge does not look like a type J, more than a type D or E...

I often have a look at the claws and the area right above the claws. Where the claws end there should be some "rings", but I can only see here some "dots"....

Let´s see what others sayth this.

Best regards

Martin

Hi guys,

Trust your gut!!  If there are little things that don't look right or don't match what you see in the para book, then I assure you there is a reason for it.  This is a well made fake. :thumbdown: 

Very, very close to an original, but many little red flags that you guys have picked up on.  The biggest give away with this type of fake is its smaller size.  I bet if you measured it, it would be a good bit smaller in height and width of the wreath.  Weight is also a good indicator, but this varies too much between originals so a much more reliable determiner is the height and width. 

Tom

Thanks a lot, Tom, for this info

Let me suggest you to publish a follow up for your great Para book with all those (new) high end fakes being around.

All the best

Martin

Thanks a lot, Tom, for this info

Let me suggest you to publish a follow up for your great Para book with all those (new) high end fakes being around.

All the best

Martin

Hi Martin,

Sadly, you would have to do that every year because the fakes just continue to get better and better.  And once these fakes are shown, the fakers would immediately change all the little "red flags" that are pointed out and then you have a new set of fakes to have to write about :unsure:

The best advice I coudl give is to continue to study the originals, and use all the information shown in the Para book and forums to analyze an item.  Especially the dimensions, that would have eliminated this fake immediately if they had been taken and compared with the Para book.  But even without these, you guys were noticing many little red flags and that is awesome!  I know it is sometimes tempting to overlook a red flag or two if the rest of the badge looks good (I do it myself on occassion).  But when you start racking up multiple red flags, then you have to sit back and really analyse what you are looking at because 99% of the time it will be a good fake!  Here we racked up many flags (poor obverse detail, rivets that are close but not exactly correct, weird catch (both in thickness and silver-color metal), poor maker mark that looks cast rather than struck in, pin end not correct, no eagle flaw, etc.).   If you add in the smaller dimensions, the overall picture should immediately reveal you are just looking at a well made fake.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I always use books and different database to check a badge but like you said fakes are getting better and better but there will always have someting wrong and guys like you will find it and make the hobby safer....

Many thanks

Seb

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.