GWilliamson

The "On War Service" and other Home Front Badges

250 posts in this topic

Hard to say Graham ??

I could not find this particular piece in Jon Mills book,"Doing Their Bit".

Still a real nice badge,as are the others in your collection.

Cheers,Martin.

Jon is on the British badge forum, perhaps asking on their will get a response from him, he is very helpful.

2 people like this

Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire regt old comrades association [special] badge. To Col Sgt A H Hawksworth.

Hall marked silver dating to 1930.

Graham.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 people like this

This one is not named but came with the other one and is dated the previous year 1929.

Graham.

1 person likes this

You have  a really fine collection of these badges Graham and the sweethearts, great to see them.

1 person likes this

The Auxiliary Air Force was formed from civilians in 1924 to provide a trained force of airmen ready to serve should they be needed.

The Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve were ex RAF personnel who could be recalled in an emergency.

Apparently it was sometimes said that..

The AAF were gentlemen trying to be officers and....

The RAFVR were Officers trying to be Gentlemen.

The lapel badges.  

2 people like this

HS with wings.  There was a company called HS motors [High Speed] motors. Wings were often used in the motoring context as well as aviation.

Managed to add the 1916 badge to my 'on war service' collection. Thanks to Malcom D.

Thanks.

Graham.

2 people like this

Another new addition [thanks Malcom]. The lapel badge to ENSA. Entertainments National Service Association. With button hole fitting [for men]. I already had the badge with broach fitting for women.

Graham.

1 person likes this

Picked up another 1915 'on war service' badge today.

Comparing the three I have, I notice each is marked with a raised capital letter. K , P and U.                     

Does anyone know the significance of this ?

Thanks.

Graham.

2 people like this

I picked up this war munitions volunteer badge today, the economy version.

1 person likes this

The City of London Civic Guard. A small lapel badge by J R Gaunt. I cant find much information on this unit but it would seem it was formed in 1942 within the square mile. The Lord Mayor was its commandant.

Graham.

1 person likes this

The City of London Civic Guard. A small lapel badge by J R Gaunt. I cant find much information on this unit but it would seem it was formed in 1942 within the square mile. The Lord Mayor was its commandant.

Graham.

Nice badge, Graham, thanks for posting. Hope you are doing well?

First new piece for ages. Near perfect condition and acquired from EBay on a "Buy it Now" for a fraction of the price Dealers are asking. Gotta love EBay.

Rare fore-runner to the 1914 On War Service badge, this one specific to the Admiralty and apparently shortly after issue, withdrawn by the Treasury in favour of the enamelled 1914 version.

A real beauty! Thanks for sharing, Gordon, and as always provided with information.

A new sweetheart for my collection, South Wales Borderers lapel badge, it appears to have been converted from an OSD badge though is smaller than the normal versions though a few smaller variants are known but are not well documented.  Either way, as a buy it now from ebay for a fiver post included I am happy.

1 person likes this

Rest Centre's were usually requisitioned buildings used to temporarily house people whose homes had been damaged or destroyed by the bombing. The staff were issued with lapel badges and arm bands.

1 person likes this

1914 on war service enamel lapel badge, unnumbered as typical for the early badges, maker marked D. G. Collins. London

2 people like this

Central Hospital Supply Service.

A WW2 organisation tasked with supervising hospital supply depots and the production of medical supplies.

2 people like this

On War Service 1915 shown with another lapel badge to follow.

Oval-shaped metal lapel pin embossed with bust of soldier with a red cross in the background, inscribed 'T.B Soldiers' Aid Society'. 

According to historian Marina Larsson, the Tubercular Soldiers' Aid Society (TSAS) was an organised group of about 200 volunteers formed in 1921 as a breakaway group from the Tubercular Soldiers' Association (TSA). It provided welfare support to tubercular veterans and their families, and left the public political work of lobbying for pensions to the TSA. Historian Susan Marsden indicates that the Tubercular Soldiers' Aid Society was a South Australian-based organisation, formed from the Tubercular Sailors', Soldiers' and Airmen's Association. Its secretary for many years was Ella Cleggett, a schoolteacher and welfare worker. The TSAS sold badges for several decades to raise funds during its annual appeals. By 1948 the price of the badges had risen to one shilling to raise the increasing funds needed to support ageing former soldiers and their families. 

The TSAS provided money, either outright or as loans, to meet the needs of tubercular families, including families of World War I veterans who received no pension. Purchases included foods such as eggs and milk, canvas blinds to enclose verandahs as sufferers were encouraged to sleep in fresh air, and payment of doctors' accounts incurred by family members. Care was arranged for children whose parents could no longer look after them, due to family breakdown, illness, hospitalisation or death. TSAS became, for some, a form of extended family, providing a support network in the face of considerable stigma (tuberculosis was considered highly contagious by some, and sufferers of the 'white plague' were vulnerable to ostracism). The organisation published a newsletter, the Optimist (named by Ella Cleggett), encouraging a positive outlook, and TSAS social events, such as Christmas parties, were often remembered as happy occasions during difficult times. Ella Cleggett contined to work in support of the TSAS into the 1950s. 

Other organisations such as the Red Cross also supported tubercular families following World War I.

https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1960659

2 people like this

The WW2 badge for Instructor, Local Air Raid Precautions.

Graham.

1 person likes this

Found another one of these 'ON WAR SERVICE 1914' badges today. A different maker to my other one.

1 person likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor