Historical War Militaria Forum
Jim W.

The land fit for heroes

My  Grandfather sapper  197760  Thomas  Young  MM  is in  this  picture  sitting , whilst  serving  with  the South  Staffordshire  Regt. in  WW1 He  was  a miner  and  was  transferred  to  179  Tunnelling  Company  where he  won  the  Military Medal  for  "Tenacity  and  Devotion  to  duty"  in  1917. After  the  war  he  worked  at  Binley  Colliery in  Coventry  and  was  caught in  a pit  collapse in  the  1920s  and  lost  a lung  as  a  result after  being  trapped underground  for  24  hours.  His  family  were kicked out onto  the  street   as he  could  no  longer  work in  the pit.  The photo of  him  with  his mother is  at  the  convalescent  home  for  miners at  Higham  Grange.  Look on his lapel,  the  MM association  badge. A  true  land  fit  for  heroes!!! Not!!!!!!

Jim

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Sad to read the way your Grandfather was treated as he was a hero and he should have been respected, as any who served should have been.  Many felt let down after the war and rightly so IMO.  A real shame and a lasting disgrace.

I  have  a  real  issue  with  it  Jerry.

During  WW2 he  went  and  worked in  Birmingham  in  the  warehouse at  the  factory that  built  Spitfires despite  his  disability.  Until  he  died in  1956  he kept in  touch  with  a  family he  helped in  Belgium during  WW1. He  visited  them  and  they  visited  him at  his home in  Tamworth. I  would  love  to  trace  that  family.

Thanks  for  your  comments.  They  mean  a lot  to  me

Jim

Hi Jim,

Interesting but sad read. If i understand correct only about a decade between the first and second photo? Your grandfather looks so much older in the second photo. These men were such hero's and got so little in return for what they did. I understand why you are so proud of him.

best regards,

Gaston

Sad to read the way your Grandfather was treated as he was a hero and he should have been respected, as any who served should have been.  Many felt let down after the war and rightly so IMO.  A real shame and a lasting disgrace.

Can't agree more. Jim W., thank you for sharing your grandfather's story with. 

Thanks  for  your  comments  guys.  Yes  Gaston,  the  second  photo  was  taken  about  10  years  after  the  first. He  would  be in  his late  30`s in  the  second  photo

Thought  i  would  put  up  a  photo  of  his  medals.These  are  my  most  prized items in  my  collection

Jim

• Like 1

These  are  my  most  prized items in  my  collection

Jim

attachicon.gifDSCF0642.jpg

I bet they are Jim,you must be so proud.

What a great set of medals,epecially the MM.

I really like the photo that shows the cap badges of the S.Staffs Regt. in wear.

Sorry to read about how your grandfather was treated after the mining accident.

Very sad and as Jerry mentioned,disgraceful.He deserved better.

Regards,Martin.

Wonderful group Jim, and a sad story indeed. Nations are quick to call on their men to make sacrifices, and even quicker to discard them afterwards.

What makes it worse is that in reality not much has changed in this "enlightened" 21st Century. Soldiers are still treated disgracefully and discarded once they have "served their purpose".

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.