Historical War Militaria Forum

This is  a picture  taken of  my  Great  Uncle  Steve  during  the  Great  war. He  served  with  the  Royal  Warwickshire  Regt. The quality is  not  good  but it  gives  an  idea of  what  British  trenches  were like. i  really love  this one.  I  don`t have  the  original  but  it is  a  scan from it

Jim

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Should have  added  this one  to  the  above.  This  was  after  he  had  recovered from  wounds  and  taken in  Tamworth.

Jim

Here is  the  final  one  i  have of  him,  sitting on  the  left recovering  from  wounds  received  at  the  front

Jim

Lovely photo's.

Scattered around the family we have some of both wars. Would like the chance one day to be able to gather them all in and show them.

I love the old black and whites of the war years. Despite all the hardships of war people always seemed to be able to raise a smile and carry on.

Thanks for sharing Jim

Just fantastic photo's Jim,they are family treasures.

I really like the second image where he is holding his cap.We can see the Warwicks badge quite clearly.

I am fortunate to be the custodian of most of the surviving family photographs.Here is one of my favorites,my maternal grandfather taken in WWI and he was also in the Royal Warwickshire Regt.

He is the one standing in the center with folded arms and tipped back cap.

Thanks for showing these images.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 1

That's a good one too, Martin.

Your Grandfather looks very young.

A lot of them were very young Dani.

My paternal grandfather was 16 years old when he entered the War at Mons in 1914.I have his 1914 Star with the Mons Bar.

He was one of the "Old Contemptibles".

Glad you like the photo Jim and i hope you did not mind that i posted it in your thread.

Regards,Martin.

A lot of them were very young Dani.

My paternal grandfather was 16 years old when he entered the War at Mons in 1914.I have his 1914 Star with the Mons Bar.

He was one of the "Old Contemptibles".

Glad you like the photo Jim and i hope you did not mind that i posted it in your thread.

Regards,Martin.

Feel  free  Martin.  Just  love looking  at  these  brilliant photos.  Captured  moments of  time  long  gone!! :thumbup:

Jim

Feel  free  Martin.  Just  love looking  at  these  brilliant photos.  Captured  moments of  time  long  gone!! :thumbup:

Jim

I agree Jim.

It is great to have all of the family photo's of my grandfathers,parents,aunts and uncles,etc.

As a retired photogapher i have have collected photo's for years,mainly Kriegsmarine and Hilfskreuzer related images.

Now that i have been in England for a week,talking to dad and looking at the images here i just might start collecting portrait photo's that show the British cap badges in wear ?  :smile:

BTW,i have been collecting British Regimental cap badges on and off since i was a kid,especially the W.Midland badges.

Cheers,Martin.

• Like 1

Do  you  have  a  W Midlands  family  background  Martin?

Jim

Yes Jim,

my maternal Grandfather was in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in WWI and he rejoined the Warwicks in the beginning of WWII,went to France with the BEF and was lucky enough to get out of Dunkirk.

My paternal grandfather was Royal Artillery and he ended his career as the gunnery instructor for the Queens Own Worcestershire Hussars in the 1930's.

In fact my dad and my uncle remember the years they lived in Worcester on Rainbow Hill,just across the road from Sir Edward Elgar's house.

And of course i grew up myself in Birmingham and Worcestershire.

Regards,Martin.

Local  to  me  then  relatively.

Sounds like  you  have  some  very interesting  family  history  there.

2nd  Worcesters action  at  Gheluvelt in  1914  must  go  down  as  one of  the  great  actions of  the  war,  barring  the  way  to  Ypres  with  a  bayonet  charge .

Like  you, i  started  off  collecting  British  cap  badges  as  a kid.  Great  things  to  collect. Wouldn`t mind  adding  to  my  meagre  collection  at  some point.

Jim

Like  you, i  started  off  collecting  British  cap  badges  as  a kid.  Great  things  to  collect. Wouldn`t mind  adding  to  my  meagre  collection  at  some point.

Jim

I try to add some pices to my collection every time i come over here Jim.

I can pick some nice ones up in antique shops,etc,at reasonable prices.

However,i just found a lovely Worcester Rifle Volunteer cap badge,Circa 1900, on a dealer site here.At 60.00 pounds i am tempted to get it .

A very rare badge IMO.

Cheers,Martin.

Hey  Martin,

You only  live once  my  friend. :w00t:  If it  says  buy  me,  you  get  it. I  have  a  substantial  Imperial  purchase on its  way. Will post  when it  arrives :crying:

Jim

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.