Historical War Militaria Forum
Gaston V.

Karl Truppen Kreuz

Hi,

Thought i'd post a topic about the Karl Truppen Kreuz. These little medals are not hard to find, but much fun to collect as quite some variations exist.

First a bit background info (from Wikipedia):

The Karl Troop Cross (German: Karl-Truppenkreuz) was instituted on 13 December 1916 by Emperor Karl I of Austria-Hungary. The cross was awarded until the end of the First World War to soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Army, regardless of rank, who had been with a combatant unit for at least twelve weeks and who had actually served at the front.

The medal is of zinc and consists of a cross pattée resting on a laurel wreath. The obverse bears the Latin inscription "GRATI PRINCEPS ET PATRIA, CAROLVS IMP.ET REX", (A grateful prince and country, Karl, Emperor and King). The reverse shows the Austrian and Hungarian Imperial crowns above the letter "C" (for Carolus) with the inscription "VITAM ET SANGVINEM", (With life and blood) and the date MDCCCCXVI, (1916). The design is based on the design of the Army Cross of 1813-1814 (usually known as the ‘Cannon Cross’ – ‘Kanonenkreuz’).

The cross was worn on the left chest from a red ribbon with alternate red-white side strips towards each edge.

A total of 651,000 were awarded.

And here are some of the crosses i ran into over the years. I know one is on a wrong ribbon, but i got it together with an hungarian citation at a flee market near Vienna a few years ago and it looks as if they have been together for many years.

best regards,

Gaston

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Very nice little collection, Gaston! Especially with the citations!

Here is one of mine.

Kind regards, Peter

Hi Peter,

yes the citations and mini's are much harder to find than the always available crosses. I like the variations of the citations and was very pleased to find one in Hungarian language at a fleemarket in Tülln. It's fun to collect them.

best regards,

Gaston

Nice collection Gaston,

My humble contribution: -

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.