Historical War Militaria Forum
Steve L

Lets see your Bundeswehr visor caps.......

Visor caps were worn from the inception of the Bundeswehr in all branches, by enlisted men, NCO's  and Officers.....in the late 1970's they began to fall out of favour, as berets were adopted by every arm within the Bundeswehr, including Officers...although they still have the option today, but many if not all choose the beret. So a tribute, if you like to visor caps of the BW Heer,Luftwaffe and Marine !  I will start.......here is the very first style of visor cap worn by EM/NCO's from 1955 to 1962, notice no arm of service piping was worn on this style of cap, that appeared on a updated version of the visor cap from 1962 on.....more on those caps later.

Prost ! Steve.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

and here is an Officers early visor cap, notice that Officers had the silver piping (and Gold for General Officers) from the start and up to this day.....and until around 1962 they had shiny plastic peaks, the visors on the new updated 62 on visor were cloth covered and displayed junior & senior Officer grades by a form of wire embroidered "scramble egg" upon the leading edge of the peak ! I show a page of the soldiers handbook "Der Riebert" showing such rank distinctions.....as the next caps to be shown will be from 62' on..... 

Prost ! Steve.

Meanwhile here's a cross over piece.......an early 1955-1962 EM/NCO's cap (dated 1962) that has been upgraded to post 1962 style, in that it has had pink piping added ! quite professionally done........by Company tailor, owner or private tailor, guess we will never know !

Prost ! Steve.

The first of the post 1962 visors now, manufactured with piping.....a nice 1968 dated EM/NCO's "Heeresflieger" (Army Air Corps) with light grey piping, made by " Bamberger mutzen-Industrie".....This style of peak cap was worn between 1962 and 1969...
Prost ! Steve.

Has no one got any to show...come on guys ! The Officers visor caps also changed in 1962....the main change being the cloth covered peak displaying insignia to show wearer as a junior or senior rank....visor caps like the uniforms varied greatly in colour, from almost black to the lightest of grey !   here is one....for junior ranked Officer, Leutnant to Hauptmann.

Prost ! Steve.

Now for another EM/NCO's cap...a favourite of mine, a "Panzeraufklarer" (Armoured Reccon) golden yellow piped cap.......in stunning condition, dated October 1967, made again by "Bamberger Mutzen-Industrie" a size 58....one of the harder caps to find.

Prost ! Steve.

I no longer have this cap but I still have photos of it. It was a really nice cap by Pekuro.

Hi Patrick ! nice to see you here.....the cap you show fits into the threads timeline perfectly, a 62-69 Officers visor, for a Leutnant through to Hauptmann. Thanks for showing !

Prost ! Steve.

• Like 1

Here's another 1962-1969 visor cap, a "Bamberger Mutzn-Industries" made cap dated May 1968, piped in Coral Red (Koralllenrot) for Heeresflugabwehr truppen (Air defence troops). 

Prost ! Steve.

BW Heere/Luftwaffe Waffenfarbe, arm of service colours........

Prost ! Steve.

• Like 1

Great visor caps you have in your collection, Steve  :thumbup:

I have only two and these are a nice worn Navy visor and one Heeres officer.

Navy visor is made by "Kleiderkasse f.d. Bundeswehr" and the Heeres visor is a privat purchased one  "Traugott Rahne, Hannover".

Thanks for dropping by Rudiger, you are always welcome here....I was hoping you would show us your Marine cap ! is it dated..and for what ranks.....it looks to be an early one with separate badges, I think later ones (not sure on date) have a single badge incorporating both the wreath and roundel. That Army Staff Officers cap is outstanding...by my favourite tailor "Traugott Rahne, Hannover" I have several items of uniform in my collection made by them.....

Prost ! Steve.

Gents, a  May 1968 "Bamburger" made "Sanitatstruppe" (Medical troops) cap, notice the subtle waffenfarbe colour difference between arm of service colour...Left, mittelblau (Technische truppen) and Right, dunkelblau (Santatstruppe), not much in it !

Prost ! Steve.

...and from the Luftwaffe corner....

This one belongs to a friend of mine here in Melbourne,

Best wishes

Bob

That's a beauty Bob, thanks for showing !  :thumbup:

I will bump this thread up to date, I have kind of neglected my BW collection this year concentrating on my 1957 awards collection, so I was happy to pick up another visor/peaked cap for my collection when the opportunity arose, a "Feldjager" orange piped cap, made in 1975.

I only need a white piped cap, from the BW "Musikkorps" to complete the set ! The Feldjager and Musikkorps are the hardest to find..............I shall keep looking, mean while heres my "new" cap......

Prost ! Steve.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.