Historical War Militaria Forum
Jim W.

C Compnay 1/6 North Staffordshire Regt

C Company  1/6  North  Staffs  were  from  my  home  town  of  Tamworth  and  formed part of  137 (Staffordshire) Brigade of  46  North  Midland  Division who  were  the  first  full territorial  Division  to  land in  France.  They  were  bloodied  at  Wulverghem  at  the  foot of  the  Messines  ridge,  decimated  at  Loos on  13/10/15  in  what  was known  locally  as  "The  Great  Charge",  when  the Division attempted  to  take  the  Hohenzollern  redoubt at  2pm  that  fateful  afternoon. They  later  were  slaughtered in  the  diversionary  attack  at  Gommecourt on  1st  July  1916.

This  same  division  broke  the  Hindenburg  crossing  the  Canal  du Nord  seizing  Riqueval  bridge in  tact on  29  September  1918  and  paved  the  way  to  breaking  the  Hindenburg  line.

These  photos  were  taken  in  early  August  1914  when  the  battalion  moved  to  Burton  on  Trent  following  a  training  camp  in  St Asaph  in  Wales.

This  first  picture  shows  Albert  Thomas  Weston  DCM, killed  at  Gommecourt on  1/7/16. He is the  first  on  the  left  of  the  photo  and  won  the  DCM whilst  temporarily  attached  to  172  Tunnelling  Company RE.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Here  are  few  more.

Captain  John Jenkinsson,  Commander of  C Company.  he  was  killed  at  Loos on  13/10/15  and is  remembered on  the  Dud  Corner  memorial  to  the  missing

Another of  Albert  Weston  DCM and  Roland  Hill DCM,  both  pre  war  territorials. Hill  won  his  DCM in  the  same  action as  Weston,  rescuing  comrades  over  come  by  gas in  a  tunnel  near  Peckham  house. Infact  3  Tamworth  men  won  DCMs  for  that  action. Weston is  remembered in  the  book  "Deeds  that  thrill  the  Empire". Weston  sits on  the  right of  the  photo,  Hill next  to  him.

Albert  has no  known  grave  and is  remembered on  the  Thiepval  memorial. I  had  the pleasure of  meeting his  descendants  who  knew  little  of  him  but  had  his  DCM  and  1915 Trio. It  was  nice  to  tell  them  how  he  won his  medal  and  where  he  lost  his life  as  they  knew  nothing of  him.

Another  when  the  brigade  were  at  Hill  60  in  September  1915

• Like 1

Great photo's Jim and a nice bit of history on one of the Companies from the N.Staffs.

I do not have my references with me now,but as a Territorial Division did they wear the N.Staffs cap badge or did they have their own badge ?

Cheers,Martin.

More  casualties  of  Loos 13/10/15.

Private  Joseph Harold  Wainwright. Remembered  on  Dud  Corner  memorial  to  the  missing

Private  Ernest  Frederick  Smith  Buried  at  Lillers

Private Tom Williams Buried  at  Caberet  Rouge

Jim

Great photo's Jim and a nice bit of history on one of the Companies from the N.Staffs.

I do not have my references with me now,but as a Territorial Division did they wear the N.Staffs cap badge or did they have their own badge ?

Cheers,Martin.

Martin, the  cap  badge  was  the  normal  N Staffs  with  the plumes.  They  wore  the  territorial  shoulder  title  T 6 North  Satffords

Jim

Lt Basil Green. A Grammar  School  student. He  went over to  France  with  the  Tamworth  boys in  1915  but  was later  commissioned  to  the  1/5  North  Staffs  with  whom  he  won  the  Military  Cross. He  was killed near  to  Lens on  1st  July  1917  and is  remembered on  the  Arras  memorial.

Jim

Martin, the  cap  badge  was  the  normal  N Staffs  with  the plumes.  They  wore  the  territorial  shoulder  title  T 6 North  Satffords

Jim

OK thanks for that Jim.

The reason i asked is that some Territorial/Pals Units had an additional scroll on the cap badges,like the Royal Warwickshire,Birmingham Battalions.

Cheers,Martin.

No,  these  boys  just  had  the normal  cap  badge.   Strictly  they  were not  "Pals" units  although many of  the  Tamworth  boys  worked  together  in  the  pits on  the  South  Staffs/North  Warwickshire  coalfield. Lichfield men  made up  the  rest  of  C Company

The  Burton  on  Trent  Company  was  B Company,  and I  would imagine  most  of  them  worked  for  the  brewery`s  for  which  the  town  was  famous.  A Company  i  think  was  from  Stafford and  D  from  the  County  towns  like  Uttoxeter, 

Jim

Taking over  the  French  sector  at  Neuvelle  St  Vaast in  February  1916  after  a  short  trip  to  Egypt where  the  Staffs  refer  to  living under  canvas  close  to  the  Suez  canal. Can  you imagine  the  adventure  for  these  men !!.

These photos  are  grainy and  are  taken  by  men of  the  Burton  Company, but  poignant. Look  at  the  state  of  the  French  trenches  and  the  dead  French  soldier in  the  second  photo.

Jim

This  photo  from  the  same  Burton  boys  shows  the  devastation of  the  land   which  they  took  over  from  the  French

Jim

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.