Historical War Militaria Forum
Kevin H

Show us your Luftwaffe Flying Units Documents

Richard great grouping. Have you had the chance to visit Peter Evans LEMB web-site which has many staffel wappen listed and shown. If not you will have to login to enter and view......

Gents, thank you for the positive comments concerning both the documents and the research piece.

Erich, I will check over at LEMB for any additional staffel wappen images, I know there are images in circulation showing the unique 7./KG4 'General Wever' wappen showing a bat flying in front of a crescent moon to represent their nocturnal activities however, I am not sure who actually owns these images so I did not post one with the research on this site.

Jeremy, thank you for offering to look in Hajo Hermann's German language work, if there is by chance a further mention of Saure I would be very grateful if you could let me know so I can update the research as a result.

Regards Richard.

Hi Richard,

Thank you for posting your KG.4 - KG.30 grouping, including a fantastic historical description.

Do you know the book(s) by Ab.A.Jansen, Fliegerhorst Schiphol Part 1-3. ?

"Fliegerhorst Schiphol, our national airport during German occupation, is the magnus opus of Ab Jansen. After Wespennest Leeuwarden and Sporen aan de hemel this is his third trilogy of the airwar of the Netherlands. It is THE history of Amsterdam-Schiphol airport during World War II."

I think that part 1 could be interesting for you.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Unteroffizier Erwin Lindner

Flugzeugführer

3./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4
1./Nachtschlachtgruppe 6

Between 1943-45 the Luftwaffe deployed a wide variety of often obsolete, adapted training aircraft on the Eastern Front in so called ‘Störkampfgruppen ‘ and ‘Nachtschlachtgruppen’ The mainstay of these machines being the Gotha Go-145 and the Arado Ar-66, serving alongside other types including the Fokker CV, Heinkel He-46 and Heinkel He-50 aircraft. The role was to conduct night bombing and harassment sorties against Soviet troops and partisans and the aircraft were fitted to carry an array of machine guns, bombs, anti-personnel weapons, rockets and even loudspeakers. These units often consisted of aircrew drawn from transport and liaison duties, in addition to those considered unfit for high performance flying duties.

3./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4

3./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4 was formed on 01-March-1943 by the redesignation of 3./Störkampfgruppe Luftwaffenkommando Don, and at the end of that month transferred to Nikolayev-Ost to be equipped with Gotha Go-145 machines. During the months without snow the Gotha Go-145 ‘Nachtschlacht’ aircraft were painted black overall, and this frequently covered the ‘Hakenkreuz’ on the fin. In a ‘Nachtschlacht Rotte’ consisting of two Gotha Go-145 aircraft, there was usually one aircraft whose task it was to find and illuminate the target, just ahead of the attack machine. This aircraft would be fitted with container tubes housed beneath the fuselage, holding the target flares. At the end of April the Staffel transferred to the Taman Peninsula in North Caucasia where it operated together with 6./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4, while subordinate to Nahaufklärungsgruppe 9 at Kerch. Due to the nature of operations, conducted exclusively at very low level in darkness, losses from Flak and Soviet fighters were inevitable.

On 13-August-1943 Unteroffizier Erwin Lindner was wounded when his Gotha Go-145 (Werk Nr. 2766) crashed during takeoff at Wyschesteblijewskaja, with the aircraft suffering 90% damage. The cause of the crash was recorded as an operational error. Against this backdrop of operations on the Taman Peninsula, Unteroffizier Lindner was awarded the Eiserne Kreuz 2.Klasse on 26-August-1943.

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse This certificate is A5 in format and was awarded to Erwin Lindner when he held the rank of Unteroffizierand was serving with3./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4. It is dated 26-August-1943 and signed in ink by Generalleutnant Karl Angerstein, Kommandierender General des I. Fliegerkorps and bears the official Gen. Kdo. des I. Fliegerkorps stamp. (Of note, the unit designation is written as 3./Störkampfstaffel Luftflotte 4 as opposed to the official designation of 3./Störkampfgruppe Luftflotte 4)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

1./Nachtschlachtgruppe 6

1./Nachtschlachtgruppe 6 was formed on 18-October-1943 at Novaya-Grigoryevka (60 km south-south-east of Melitopol) Süd Ukraine, still equipped with Gotha Go-145 aircraft. From 18-October to 03-November 1./Nachtschlachtgruppe 6 supported 6. Armee’s retreat from defensive positions extending North and South of Melitopol across the Nogay Steppe to new positions along the west bank of the Dnieper, from Kherson to Berislav and beyond.

For his actions, Unteroffizier Erwin Lindner was awarded the Eiserne Kreuz 1.Klasse on 09-January-1944 before 1./Nachtschlachtgruppe 6 was transferred to Slynka (Zlynka) (53 km due west of Kirovograd) for attachment to Nachtschlachtgruppe 4 on 16-January-1944.

Eiserne Kreuz 1.Klasse This ceritificate ia A5 in format and was awarded to Erwin Lindner when he held the rank of Unteroffizier and was serving with 1./Nachtschlachtgruppe 6. It is dated 09-January-1944 and signed in ink by General der Flieger Otto Dessloch, Chef der Luftflotte 4 and bears the official Luftflottenkommando 4 stamp.

There are no further documents at this time relating to the military career of Unteroffizier Erwin Lindner. It is not unreasonable to think he may have been awarded Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz for his aircraft crash on 13-August-1943, and possibly also a Frontflug-Spange für Schlachtflieger however, without the documentary evidence, this cannot be ascertained.

If anyone can add any further information to the career of Erwin Lindner, or has knowledge of the whereabouts of his Flugbucher, Soldbuch, Wehrpass or additional documents, I would be very grateful for your assistance.

Regards Richard.

Eric

Thank you for the 'heads-up' on the books concerning the history of Amsterdam Schipol airport however, in this case I think it would be the Flugbucher issued to Saure which would provide the individual mission details which I am seeking. Withouth the Flugbucher and Frontflug-Spange fur Kampflieger urkunden, I can only estimate his individual activities as a Beobachter at this time.

Regards Richard.

very nice grouping Richard ..............

say have you found additional details concerning this NSGr unit ? KTB ?Erich

Thank you for the comment on the documents.

The short research was put together from several very small snippets of info from various publications, as there is not a single source of highly detailed information of these very small nocturnal units yet published. I have not had any access to any of the KTB's however, I have been given the details from some of the loss reports over the period of his documents.

As with all my research projects, the door is never closed and I am always actively trying to amass more details to add to the research piece.

Regards Richard.

Richard I only know of two separate volumes covering any of the NSGr's at the present time NSGr 9 by N. Beale and NSGr 1 and 2, 20 by a German author.

E ~

Richard

Nice documents to a unit which does not surface that often! I recall you mentioning this grouping before and unfortunately, as you know, this unit and units like it are pretty under represented in current publications aprt from the two Erich noted.

We'll keep looking though since I have a group to this unit as well.

Jeremy

Jeremy

Hi Richard,

No problem, without having the man's Flugbücher and Frontflugspange docs, I just thought that every single piece of information would be welcome for you.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Erich & Jeremy

At this time I am only aware of the following publications which cover the Nachtschlachgruppen:

The first two have a brief overview of NSG Einheiten:

'Luftwaffe Schlachtgruppen' (Aviation Elite Units) by John Weal.

'Schlachtflieger. Luftwaffe Ground-Attack Units 1937-1945'' (Luftwaffe Colours) by J. Richard Smith, Chris Goss, Martin Pegg, Andrew Arthy, Nick Beale & Robert Forsyth.

....while these two are unit specific:

'Ghost Bombers: The Moonlight War of NSG 9 - Luftwaffe Night Attack Operations from Angio to the Alps 1943-1945' by Nick Beale.

'Die Einsätze der Nachtschlachtgruppen 1, 2 und 20 an der Westfront von September 1944 bis Kriegsende' by Christian Möller.

If anyone is aware of any other publications relating to NSG6 please let me know, although given the size of the units and the overviews already provided, I am not holding my breath.

Regards Richard.

Soldbuch , Ausweis , and Promotion doc.

Jan Arne

• Like 2

Hi Guys !

A small Luftwaffe Observer group .

Jan Arne

• Like 2

Some pics that followed this group .

Jan Arne

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.