Historical War Militaria Forum
Kevin H

Show us your Luftwaffe Flying Units Documents

Sauer stopped his activity in a front unit and joined the training school for glider pilots in Neustadt. After finishing training he got the glider pilots badge. The award document is very special cause it's a mix between first and second type. It has the new air force eagle but was printed in A4 and not as usual for the new award documents in A5.

His red glider certificate with the number 66 is for Typ A gliders (10 seats). probably the spent the rest of the war there, cause no further awards were given to him. A pic from Sauer show him only wearing his glider pilot badge, his IC2 class and his wound badge.

hope you will enjoy

regards

Walle

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Wonderful grouping showing the timeline of his service life and it isn't often you see flight related qualification badges dated as early as 1935. Being someone interested in signatures on citations etc it is a lovely set chock full of good examples. The Oberleutnant signature on the reverse of Ausweis Nr 41 is Ehrenpokal winner Hans Rössing.

3 hours ago, Kevin H said:

Wonderful grouping showing the timeline of his service life and it isn't often you see flight related qualification badges dated as early as 1935. Being someone interested in signatures on citations etc it is a lovely set chock full of good examples. The Oberleutnant signature on the reverse of Ausweis Nr 41 is Ehrenpokal winner Hans Rössing.

Can only agree, perhaps Richard might also like this set. Thanks for sharing. 

On 02/11/2016 at 5:15 PM, Bart V. said:

Can only agree, perhaps Richard might also like this set. Thanks for sharing. 

You are right Bart, as Kevin has already alluded to, that is a very nice set indeed.

I remember seeing that image of a heavily bandaged Sauer in the Kampfgeschwader 53 "Legion Condor' book, and find it fascinating that his documents have surfaced.

Great set BCD4 and nicely presented too.

Regards Richard.

On 21/09/2016 at 0:21 PM, Guyjfang said:

Richard, Michael:

An "Unterstab" is part of the normal "Stab" that belongs to a Bataillon. Sometimes it's refered to as the "Bataillon's Unterstab" but is usually geographically seperated for security reasons by at least a calling distance while being deployed in the field. It's commander is the Ordonnanzoffizier and is usually lead by an Feldwebel or Stabsfeldwebel. There were several senior NCOs in an Unterstab, even some very junior officers for "first-hand training exercises" before finally receiving their commision.

Among the many duties of the Unterstab they are responsible of the technical maintenance of machines, vehicles and equipment used by the Stab (e.g. everything from typewriters, sewing machines, to the personal cars of the commander). There are several horse keepers for the intelligence officers and quick response personal teams for delivering urgent messages to the field officers/NCOs. A well managed Unterstab would have at least 5 bicycles and 15 horses. Another responsibility was the finding and initial setup of the HQ/housing_areas/Stabs_housing/etc while on the go. Further more the Unterstab had a section of special schooled intelligence NCOs establishing routes from and to the HQs of the neighboring units. Some of those NCOs were special trained in encypting/decrypting messages (most of them were trained far better in communication than the bulk of the Stab officiers themselves), or for example to layout stones and wood in secret patters for following units to decrypt (again only by their Unterstabs NCOs); some of the best known pionier officers/NCOs started their career as Unterstabs officier/NCOs. The Unterstab was responsible for scouting and selecting the best roads/paths to travel by the units. If they encountered road junctions also used by the enemy it was their job to scramble the road signs to confuse them. If approaching airplaines were visible or heard it was the Unterstab that would have to make the Bataillon units visible to reduce friendly fire (1-5 sheets of colored cloths, the pattered they layed on the ground determined the sub-unit and their advancing direction). The list of their responsibilities goes on and on and on: camouflage, ordnance, food, water, cooking, finding/marking mine-fields, air surveillance, organisation of truck drivers, planning birthday parties, etc. Consider the Unterstab as THE single biggest moral boost on the ordinary fighting men. Basically it was their duty to upkeep the fighting spirit of all men in the whole Bataillon. Depending on the unit type an Unterstab could consist of 50-70 men!

Later on in the war the Unterstab was also responsible for the personal safety of the Bataillon officer and his staff, especially if their commander had received very high awards (RK, EL, etc.). Many notorious SS units were known to enforce ruthless Unterstäbe commiting most of the day-to-day atrocities on civilians rather than the fighting units (why history still get that wrong is beyond me!).

Sorry for the delay in replying to your extremely detailed post on the matter of the 'Unterstab' question.

You have provided far more information then I could find anywhere, either printed or on-line, so many thanks indeed for your input on this.

Regards Richard.

Very nice RKT signatures, especially......

Hauptmann Wolfgang Lippert who is a very scarce RKT signature indeed, and this is the first example I seen.

Less than 3 months after he signed this document he was killed in Egypt.

Excellent signatures and very nice documents!

Regards Richard.

Hi all

I refresh this old thread with, IMO, an interesting group I was able to reunitate partialy : at the begining, they were two stuffs of a Lw Leutnant, bought together in eastern Berlin in 1990. Inside the pocket, the name of the owner : Lt Ernst Peek, dated of october 42.

Few years later, I was able to get few informations about him, by the Deusche Dienstelle of Berlin : he was a transport pilot during a big part of the war, and participated to most of the big german air operations, especialy invasion of Crete.

I was happy to know all that ! And several years passed then, without novelty...

... Until september 2018, when a german auction catalog offer me the surprise to see many awards documents of this pilot !

I bought them of course. Here are they, offering a special dimension to the whole. 

Unfortunatly, few documents are missing, in particulary the pilot license...

• Like 1

Nice set of citations especially when reunited with the uniform. I like the shadow on the arm where the Kreta cuff band used to be.

Yes it's true. All are not so rare but particulary interesting when together. Especialy when it is 28 years later !

Kreta armband had a rare way of wear, with little press buttons. Unique case I have ever seen.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.