Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bart V.

Show us your Iron Cross Award Documents

HWMFBranding.png

Show us your EK2 and EK1 Award Documents

Urkunde to Kanonier Kurt Appelt, who served in Stabs-Batterie III./ Artillerie-Regiment 80. He probably got wounded and was not fit for action anymore as the Urkunde is signed by the General of Wehrkreis IV. The signature is from General der Infanterie z. V. Erich Wöllwarth, bearer of the Deutsches Kreuz in Silber. Nothing special but it came with the EK II (see here: Unmarked EKII) for a very good price.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

No doubt awarded for the rapid summer campaign and the large encirclement battles, or rather wounds received during them. Nice addition. The only 8 PD item I have is an EK I dated for March 1945.

For my first post on this new form, I present this unusual award document for the Iron Cross Second Class. Dated October 26, 1939, the award is likely relaled to the French invasion of the Saarland. The French were to aid the Poles by launching an attack accross the German border that could possibly divert troops away from invasion of Poland. The attack began on September 7th and continued through Septemebr 30. The German 1. Armee was unable to put up any significant resitance and pulled back to positions along the West Wall. Overall the French advanced about five miles but decided to pull back due to fears of a German counteroffensive once the campaign in Poland had come to an end. From October 16 through 24, the Germans in the area launched a number of of local counterattcks and pushed the French back accross their own border. Among the troops fighting at the time was Uffz. Johannes Böll of Infanterie Regiment 172, 75. Infanterie Division. His award document is signed by Generalleutnant Ernst Hammer, division commander from September 1939 through Septemebr, 1942.

Böll went on to win the Iron Cross First Class in August, 1940 following the campaign in the West. He was, however, killed in action on the Western Front in the fall of 1944 while fighting with 15. Armee.

Very interesting Urkunde Brian, thanks for sharing.

Just saw a documentairy about the French attack in September 1939 on TV a couple of weeks ago.

Found it highly interesting.

Kind regards,

Nick

Thanks for sharing, Brian. Maybe it is possible to find more on the 2. Kompanie in the fighting, when searching the units diaries?

/Bart

Brian, I am also interested in the Knight's Cross Holders of the Sudetenland. As Generalleutnant Ernst Hammer was one of them, I have some photographs and many information. If you are interested in anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Here in attachment a Photograph of Ernst Hammer.

/Bart

Guys - Thank you for the replies. And Bart, I would love to know more about the specific actions of the division, especially as far down as company level. However, I was unaware that any such info existed. I would think the NARA may have something but I'm unsure about any unit history that has ever been published, let alone something in English (as I cannot read German).

Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse Urkunde to Sanitäts-Unteroffizier Reinhard Schmidt. Awarded in the field on the 9th of October 1941. The award citation is signed by Generalleutnant u. Divisionskommandeur Kurt von Tippelskirch, whom earned the Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes on 23.11.1941 and the Eichenlaub on 30.07.1944. I don't know for which action he received the EK II, it could be by helping wounded comrades or in fighting action.. San.-Uffz. Schmidt didn't only earn the EK II but also the Infanterie-Sturmabzeichen in Silber (28.4.43), Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42 (15.08.42) and the Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz (16.10.44). He served in the 2. Kompanie, 3. Kompanie and 9. Kompanie/ Grenadier-Regiment 6.

/Bart

It would be interesting to find out the number of EK's that were awarded to Sanitäts personnel as I'd imagine that it would be quite a high number considering their actions under fire, and not just actually taking up arms against the enemy.

This is a very nice document indeed. I wonder if he was eventually surrounded in the Demjansk pocket. I would imagine the Sani were perrty important there! No shield citation?

Kevin brings up a great point about these guys and their EKs. I have a few Sani related documents but one particular group is my favorite. Its to a medic in 10. ID (mot). He won his EK2 on September 5, 1939 for actions in the opening days of the war with Poland. He went on to serve in Russia where he earned his EK1 on Christmas Eve, 1941, during to horrific fighting before Moscow. My guess is that there were not too many medics who earned both classes of the EK, especially NCOs. Fundeis went on to be wounded in action on January 22, 1942. I don't think he ever saw action again.

This is a very nice document indeed. I wonder if he was eventually surrounded in the Demjansk pocket. I would imagine the Sani were perrty important there! No shield citation?

Kevin brings up a great point about these guys and their EKs. I have a few Sani related documents but one particular group is my favorite. Its to a medic in 10. ID (mot). He won his EK2 on September 5, 1939 for actions in the opening days of the war with Poland. He went on to serve in Russia where he earned his EK1 on Christmas Eve, 1941, during to horrific fighting before Moscow. My guess is that there were not too many medics who earned both classes of the EK, especially NCOs. Fundeis went on to be wounded in action on January 22, 1942. I don't think he ever saw action again.

They were important throughout the whole war. There is a saying "The only man a soldier loves more than his wife is his combat medic"... It was not that common for Combat Medics to earn the Iron Crosses, most of the time they earned the Kriegsverdienstkreuz. I don't know more on Reinhard Schmidt sadly, would like to know more from this man.. Especially his stories.

Brian, thanks for sharing the early Sani Award citation!

/Bart

Here is a nice EKII document from 3/Pz. Rgt 36 signed by Generalleutnant Unrein, commander from the 14 Panzer Division. In Oktober 1944 the regiment fought in Kurland.
Can somebody identify the signature on the fuhrerschein perhaps?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Erwin

• Like 1

Hi Erwin,

The Führerschein is signed by Hauptmann Neuendorff. Now, during my research into Pz.Rgt.36, there is a little mystery about Hauptmann Neuendorff. There may have been two of them, possibly twins (I haven't confirmed this hypothesis yet). In any case, Hauptmann Neuendorff was definitely adjutant of Panzer-Regiment 36 until captured at Stalingrad. He survived a few months of captivity but died in autumn 1943.

The two names I have are Joachim-Peter and Erich Neuendorff, both born on 3 October 1914, both in Panzer-Regiment 36. It's a small mystery I have not yet solved.

Jason

Me again.

OK, a bit of checking has revealed that the man who signed your Führerschein is Hauptmann Heinz Neuendorff, an Abt.Kdr. in Pz.Rgt.36 from November 1942 until February 1945 (according to the divisional history).

Sorry for having led you stray for a few minutes! :)

Jason

Could it be that they were twins?
That's my hypothesis but I've been unable to prove it. The other possibility is an administrative error regarding his first name.

Jason

As a companion to this great thread...

Urkunde Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse - 9./ Gren.Rgt. 6

Here's another great EK citation to a Sani. It is an award of the Iron Cross Second Class to Sani-Unteroffizier Alfons Schütte of Nachrichten-Abteilung 161. He served with 61. Infanterie Division as it fought the campaign in the west; the division pushed through Belgium to Dunkirk.

I don't prefer EK documents that have been framed but I actually really like this one. It is framed in original EK2 ribbon and matted on a larger piece of board. It certainly looks like it was actually in a larger frame, and behind glass, at some point as the recipient took great pride in his award.

It is signed by Generalleutnant Siegfried Hänicke, PLM and RK winner.

Nicely framed with an EKII Ribbon! Thanks for sharing, Brian. I always like documents related to Sanitäters.

/Bart

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this