Historical War Militaria Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bart V.

Show us your Iron Cross Award Documents

Here is one of my IC 2 docs.  Got some others somewhere, if I find them I'll add to this.

Sarge v

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Interesting to see another one to a Blockade Breaker. She suffered 59 dead while trying to get through Calais in January 1944 when she was hit but British artillery.

The citation is signed by future Konteradmiral Werner Ehrhardt.

Very nice examples, especially the Crete related one signed by Bruno Bräuer and showing one of the rare times that an EK citation was allowed to be authorised below the Divisional level.

2 hours ago, Kevin H said:

Very nice examples, especially the Crete related one signed by Bruno Bräuer and showing one of the rare times that an EK citation was allowed to be authorised below the Divisional level.

Thank you, I like that one as well. It actually belonged to the person shown in my avatar. 

Hi all

Here is another common example, and unfortunatly folded, awarded to a 9.ID soldier after fights in Crimea. The guy finished war with 346.ID in West.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BCD4 said:

Hi,

here is another not to often seen couple from me. A posthumos award for an Grenadier for the defend of Welikije Luki with OU Scherer. The official award doc comes with a document from the Abwicklungsstab of Gren.Rgt. 277. These were often seen as award doc itself, but you can clearly seen, that this is not true.

greetings Walle

Michael, I've never seen the second document before ! Amazing, thanks for sharing.

Nice additions Walle. The battle for Velikije Luki doesn't seem to get much coverage in histories of the fighting in late 1942/early1943 and yet I think it upset the Russians quite a bit as I seem to recall that they executed a number of officers involved in the battle in January 1946 in Velikiye Luki. Maybe it is overshadowed by what was happening further south at Stalingrad.

I believe one of Kurowski's books covers it but I don't have Deadlock Before Moscow so can't confirm (although it is supposed to be one of his better books).

A bit late joining this thread however better late than never I guess.  I will post some from my collection (although some have been posted here on other threads) in the hope they might be of interest.

Starting with......

My earliest example of an Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse Urkunde, dated 24-September-1939 for actions with 7./Kampfgeschwader 4 "General Wever" during the Polandfeldzug.

Regards Richard.

A seldom encountered unit this time........

A Flugzeugfuhrer within 3./Störkampfstaffel Luftflotte 4 awarded in August 1943.

Regards Richard.

• Like 1

Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse Urkunde awarded to a Fliegerschutzen of 3./Kampfgeschwader 27 "Boelcke" on 28-January-1943.

3./Kampfgeschwader 27 "Boelcke" were involved in the Stalingrad air-lift operations in this period.

Of note is the signatory, Generalleutnant Gunther Korten, who died as a result of the wounds he received on 20-July-1944 in the Wolf's Lair in the attempt to assasinate Adolf Hitler.

Regards Richard. 

Another Fliegerschutzen although, a diifferent unit this time in III./Kampfgeschwader 77.

The Urkunde is dated 22-June-1940, in the period prior to this III./Kampfgeschwader 77 had been involved in Unternehmen Paula, destroying the remants of the Amee de L' Air in the Battle of France.

Regards Richard.

I have some time to post a few other examples from my collection.

An Aufklarungsflieger example this time, the recipient would go on to be awarded both the DKiG and Ehrenpokal and survive the war.

2.(Fern)/Aufklärungsgruppe 122 were based at Warschau at this time, and operated with both Messerschmitt Bf 110 and Junkers Ju 88 aircraft.  Under the leadership of Gruppenkommandeur Oberstleutnant Fritz Köhler and Staffelkapitän Oberleutnant Gerhard Schwarz, 2.(Fern)/Aufklärungsgruppe 122 operated under the command of Luftflotte 2 in support of the Central Sector of the Eastern Front during the opening phases of Unternehmen Barbarossa.  

I have already posted this example on the 'Battle of Britain Day' thread in this section however, I thought it worthy of posting again here considering it is from such a pivotal air battle in WWII.

Eiserne Kreuz 2. Klasse awarded on 24-September-1940 by the Stabsstaffel/Kampfgeschwader 53 "Legion Condor" at the height of the Battle of Britain.

The recipient would go on to be awarded the Eiserne Kreuz 1. Klasse the following day.  This is the only example I have in my collection of EKs being awarded on consecutive days.

Hi StGeorge64,

nice doc !

This one is from a pilot of KG 77. He was shot down over Britain during the 'battle of Britain' and mia. During the war the english red cross confirmed, that they found his dead body and buried him in England.

regards Walle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BCD4 said:

Hi StGeorge64,

nice doc !

This one is from a pilot of KG 77. He was shot down over Britain during the 'battle of Britain' and mia. During the war the english red cross confirmed, that they found his dead body and buried him in England.

regards Walle

Nice items. It looks like the day he was shot down was a bad one for KG-77 as they lost 8 aircraft that day. Here is the entry for Kurz's aircraft in Luftwaffe Crash Archive.

kurz 001.jpg

Wow, amazing thread and some really stunning EK citations! Keep them coming!

I have been an inactive member for ages now, but Bart kind of "showed me the way back" and I would really like to contribute to this topic....!

I have to state that I exclusively collect Iron Cross citations (and groups) linked to the Western Front 1944/45, especially Normandy, Ardennes and Rhineland, and Monte Cassino, so all the documents I will show here are related to these campaigns. 

First one!

Unit: Panzergrenadier-Regiment 304, 2. Panzer-Division

Awarded for action in/at: Normandy

Signature: Gustav-Adolf von Nostitz-Wallwitz

Note that this document provides clear evidence that it was von Nostitz-Wallwitz who temporarily led the 2. Panzer and NOT Eberhard von Nostitz (as mostly found on the internet)!

• Like 2

Unit: Panzergrenadier-Regiment 115, 15. Panzergrenadier-Division

Awarded for action in/at:Rhineland

Signature: Hans Joachim Deckert

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this