Historical War Militaria Forum

Lovely set Jerry and a very sad but interesting story behind these pieces.

Personally, i would have the set  professionaly re-framed for prosperity with the written details of this soldiers service pasted on the reverse of the frame.This would be a great help to the next generation of collectors i think, and a fitting tribute to 44388 John Davies,S.W.B.

Regards,Martin.

• Like 1

Jerry,

Lovely  group  from  a  member of  the  Welsh  Division. Did he  serve  at  Mametz  Wood in  July  1916?

As you  say,  a  young man  went  to  war  and  died  and  his  family  got  the plaque  as  a  replacement. We must  never  forget  the  flower of  youth  that  ceased  to  exist  in  that  war  and  greatness  that  was  lost. People like  George  Butterworth, Wilfred  Own,  Cecil  Coles  and  the  like  from  all  sides..

Back  to  subject . a  wonderful  group!!

Jim

Sadly Jim as yet I don't know if he was at Mametz as his index card does not say when he went overseas but it is likely that he was, though I will update this thread if I can find out any more about his service.

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for showing that man's memento on the forum, and by doing that he is still not forgotten after 96 years.

I think that you are right about that "He must have been well loved and missed as the plaque has been polished so often his name has almost been removed from the years of polishing it"

I would keep the original frames and try to restore them to keep the man's remembrance as original as possible.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Jerry

For what its worth

You should feel only a sense of pride

Your keeping this soldier's memory alive and that is the most important thing.

Look upon yourself as the new guardian now of those awards. By doing so your preserving the history of a man and many others like him who did not die in vain.

You did the right thing.

Dani

• Like 1

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for showing that man's memento on the forum, and by doing that he is still not forgotten after 96 years.

I think that you are right about that "He must have been well loved and missed as the plaque has been polished so often his name has almost been removed from the years of polishing it"

I would keep the original frames and try to restore them to keep the man's remembrance as original as possible.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Restoring the original frames is my preferred option as they are part of the history.  I am hopefully off to visit Newquay today to see if he is mentioned on the town war memorial and if he is I will add pictures of it.

Restoring the original frames is my preferred option as they are part of the history.  I am hopefully off to visit Newquay today to see if he is mentioned on the town war memorial and if he is I will add pictures of it.

Concerning the framing ...... I only replied to your question !

"I am not sure whether it would be best to attempt to restore the original frames or have them re-framed by a professional framer"

Concerning the framing ...... I only replied to your question !

"I am not sure whether it would be best to attempt to restore the original frames or have them re-framed by a professional framer"

Indeed Eric and I hope my reply did not imply anything other than that.

A copy of his medal index card, but sadly it does not list when he arrived on the continent.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Thanks for showing Jerry.

That is a very difficult language.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

Thanks for showing Jerry.

That is a very difficult language.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

As someone who lived in the Nederlands and tried to learn Dutch and passed "Dutch for absolute beginners" and I can only agree that Welsh is a difficult language and as I was from a part of Wales where it was not spoken, I struggle with it, but still know a few of the basics.

Diolch. (thanks)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.