Historical War Militaria Forum

Gentlemen, a thread to discuss use of SMG in the Bundeswehr......
The Bundeswehr, has since its inception had an SMG in its inventory, in the early days 1955-59 it was Thompson SMG,  being supplied by the U.S. Army....the ammunition pouches for these weapons tended to be again U.S. or the breast pockets of the Splittertarn combat uniform were used, they held three mags per side......In 1959 the BW got the Uzi 9mm (of Arnie fame !) this weapon in its many guise served the BW for well over thirty years ! under the name MP2, it was replaced by the MP7. See here for more information on the Uzi Uzi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I show a 1960-70's web/canvas style magazine pouches for the Uzi, they were available in the 1980's made of olive drab plastic. 
In the mid 1960's a new kid on the block appeared....the Heckler & Koch MP5, it was used in limited quantities in both the BW and the BGS (Federal Border Police) and was used by many Police Forces around West Germany, for more information on the MP5 see here 
Heckler & Koch MP5 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ......in the BW it tended to be used in Feldjager (Military Police) and the Marine (Navy), but could be seen in other units.....It was famously used by members of GSG9 the BGS elite commando squad, run along the lines of the British SAS (who also used the MP5).I show an airsoft MP5 I use in a Panzergrenadier NCO display, along with its magazine pouches, the olive drab plastic plastic versions, I believe they were also available in cloth.
If anyone has either more information or corrections for this thread please post.
I show first my MP5 airsoft , pouches and display....................

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Prost ! Steve.

and now the Uzi pouches.......................the "soldat" on the left is wearing a pair of these.

Prost ! Steve.

The current SMG in the Bundeswehr, the MP7 since 2001............see here for more information Heckler & Koch MP7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia yet to see any BW issue spare mag pouches for this weapon............also shown is a private purchase three standard capacity MP7 magazines pouch for the German IdZ vest.

Prost ! Steve.

and not forgetting the first SMG used in the BW......The Thompson,see here for more information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thompson_submachine_gun   in use by the BW very early on in its history......seen here, spare mags probably carried in breast pockets of the cammo uniform, as I show here.............

Prost ! Steve.

• Like 1

Always did love that camo tunic Steve the base material is rather an interesting hue of green I did not realize that the top breast pockets had been adopted to carry Thompson magazines .

I can not help but notice that the one internal sleeve in the pocket is a fair bit larger than the other two any thoughts on its intended purpose a larger magazine or cleaning kit perhaps.

Regards Mark   

I can not help but notice that the one internal sleeve in the pocket is a fair bit larger than the other two any thoughts on its intended purpose a larger magazine or cleaning kit perhaps.Regards Mark   

Hi Mark, I had noticed the larger pocket but I have no idea what it is for ! perhaps as you say cleaning kit or first aid pack ? at this time (1955-59) there were no ammo pouches issued to the soldiers in the BW.

Prost ! Steve.

Thanx Steve it would be intresting to know what the intended purpose was unless they were neatly just filling up space and there was no intended purpose and left to the soldiers discretion.

Regards Mark

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.