Historical War Militaria Forum
Jerry B

Ceramic memorial plaque South Wales Borderers Pte Wm Williams

Jerry,

That  is one  sad  but  wonderful  find. Congratulations!!! I  think  it  is  absolutely  superb and  a  fitting  memorial  to  a  young life lost

Jim

Jerry,

That  is one  sad  but  wonderful  find.

I agree Jim.

But a nice piece of ceramic artwork nonetheless.

Great find Jerry and a pity you cannot nail it down to one individual, Wm Williams of the SWB.

Is there any indication as to which company produced this ceramic piece ?

Regards,Martin.

Thanks Jim and Martin, it is beautiful and sad at the same time, a real quality item.  The paper backing had been removed when I got it and had probably been done to try and find a makers backstamp, but none is visible, but I would guess it was probably made by Minton or one of the other "potteries" firms from Stoke.  At least it is still otherwise untouched and in its original period frame.

As you mention Martin, it is sadly impossible to find which Wm. Williams of the SWB it was, as that would allow research to be undertaken.  Interestingly, the seller had a part trio to a Williams of the SWB who had then transferred to the RWF, including his cap badge, but the initial was not the same and he also had a pair to a Williams from the Welsh Regiment along with his cap badge -it had been sweethearted-, a shoulder title and a Arabic coin used as his ID disc.  It seems likely that the previous collector was collecting the name Williams, but it appears that he did not have the full set for Wm. Williams.

Hi Jerry,

Great looking plaque but a sad reminder.

Seems to be in its original frame, both are typical period Art Deco style.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

• Like 1

Hi Jerry,

Great looking plaque but a sad reminder.

Seems to be in its original frame, both are typical period Art Deco style.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thanks Eric-Jan.  One of those items that is both beautiful and sad at the same time.  Other than someone has removed the brown paper backing to look for a makers backstamp it appears to be untouched and all original.

One of those items that is both beautiful and sad at the same time.  Other than someone has removed the brown paper backing to look for a makers backstamp it appears to be untouched and all original.

Jerry,

I can only second that.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.