Historical War Militaria Forum
Jerry B

Post cards, British military themed thread

Jerry B:

Hello my friend! Thank your for sharing your PCs with the Forum. I really like the colorized PC, as I have many in my Kriegsmarine collection.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

Hi Jerry,

thanks for posting these as it jogged my memory.

In regards to the "song" cards you have, "Sweet Adeline" verse (2).

We have dozens of these cards back home in England,complete sets and they were collected by my grandmother back in WWI.

I'll see if i can get my mother to part with them for a while when i get back over there.Then i can bring them back here to California and scan them.

They are great items but some of the songs and verses are so sad.I remember one set of cards to this day about a young soldier leaving his family to go to war.

They were tear jerkers then in my youth and they still are today.. :crying:

Regards,Martin.

Hi Martin,

The Bamforth song cards were very popular with those back home and along with the Bairnsfather and Macklin cars are the 3 most common types you see from those times.

Be good to see them if you do get the chance to post them.

And another showing a not very warrior like member of the Royal Engineers.  It must date from sometime after autumn 1943 because he is wearing the GS Cap.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Boer war period of the Drummers and Pioneers of the Welsh Regiment.

WWI period of an OR of the South Wales Borderers.

The front again and the reverse.

• Like 1

A few more which are photographs rather than PC's.

Monmouthshire Regiment circa 1890-1900

detail of above

Officer of the RWF.

• Like 2

And some more photographs.

WWII army

WWII or early post wore RAF VR.

WWI Welsh Field Arty group, named and dated.

• Like 1

Love that Field Artillery group photo Jerry.

Great shot,and named and dated.

Perfect.

Martin.

Thanks Martin.

I also like that you just see the start of 4th Welsh written on the open gate behind them.  A good picture for details of what they wore under their tunics.

Great  collection  Jerry. 

Jim

Thanks Jim and for all the likes.

I really like these as they are a real slice of history and can often be picked up for just £1, though some are more expensive.  some would have been produced in large quantities, but many where they show an individual soldier or small group were probably only produced in very small quantities for their family and friends.

I  have  a  small  collection of  postcards myself  Jerry.  mainly  of  the  Verdun  battlefield just  post  World  War 1 and  Munich  during  the  TR period. I  think  they  are  great  things  to  collect.

My  favourites  are  field  postings  of one  particular  French  soldier  which  date  from  early  WW1 through  to  1916  including  one  with  Christmas greetings  to  his  family.

Jim

Hi Jim,

they sound interesting, maybe you could post them in the relevant sections of the forum if you have not already done so.

A new pick up, a member of the Queens Regiment wearing a 37 pattern BD blouse.  Interesting message on the reverse;

Hair Ginger, Eyes Grey Blue, Uniform Khaki.

1915 dated reply pc for the fund for tobacco for the troops overseas, sent to the editor of a newspaper from my home town of Cardiff, from a driver, so ASC or RA most likely.  The cards that were sold are quite commonly seen and I posted one earlier in this thread with artwork by the same artist, but I have never seen a reply card before this one.

• Like 1

17th Bn the Welsh Bantams song postcard sold to aid the troops, and written by a member of the Bn.  Unposted but with an address on the reverse in Bargoed in S Wales.

A quite scarce  RFC / RAF photo taken around 1918 , the photo is rare in the fact  hes air crew (Observer )  but not an officer- only badged as an N.C.O  .

The R.F.C and to a smaller extent the R.A.F  was one of the last bastions of officer  / public school snobbery  -it was very hard for a man from even a middle class back ground to get a place as aircrew this started to charge after the big German offensive of 1918  due to the mounting casualties among the young officer class aircrew.

In the photo  can be seen  a gorgeous  cloth Observer brevet been worn  this design showing a very `sharp`  almost vertical angle to the badge   this became less durring the 1920`s &1930`s  till the second WW examples.

Any one interested in collecting or researching  RFC /RAF insignia  - a must buy book is :

EAGLES RECALLED  by WARREN CARROLL.  This is not a cheap book but its the only one you will every really need - page after page after page glorious colour images   including all the Common wealth variations  South Africa  , Canada  , etc etc .

• Like 2

The following image shows  C.M.X 501820 Petty Officer  Richard ( Dick ) Hamer  Royal Navy Combined Operations  , he was part of the crew aboard landing  267 that took men ashore on Sword beach  -D/Day june 6th 1944 .

He later was posted to the far east  to train as beach Recce for the expected invasion of Japan .

He was born in Haworth West Yorkshire

I was very lucky to be able to by several items. of his a few years back  , the uniform and cap he is seen wearing in this photo  , cloth insignia  , his Royal  Navy working battle dress and the rather ` tatty` white ensign flag off the landing craft.

If any one thinks this may be of interest please let me know and i can start a seperate thread .

many thanks .

• Like 2

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.