Argunners Magazine
Jerry B

South Wales Borderers officers mess jacket 1932 KIA 1941

Named incorrectly, (what you get if you buy your garments from a London tailors with a Welsh surname) to David Reginald Llewellyn 24th regiment and dated 22/6/32 and he was gazetted 2nd Lt in Sept 1932.  He was serving as a Captain with the 1st Bn SWB when he died in Irag in Nov 1941.  His father also served with the SWB, Colonel William Herbert Clydwyn llewellyn and his brother was also KIA, he died on Dday with the RA, and he was also a captain and is buried in France.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33860/pages/5623

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2717790/LLEWELLYN,%20DAVID%20REGINALD

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

Jerry your collection gets better and better. :thumbup:

Thanks.  This was a recent addition and the history I discovered from the research makes for a reminder of those whose items we collect and the stories those items can tell us and also that which we will never know.  He is on the CWGC, but how he died is not recorded, was he KIA, DOW or did he succumb to an illness as so many did when serving in a foreign land.  There is little in the history of the regiment to give any detail as to the 1st Bn's activities at this date in the middle east and if there was an action in which he might have fallen.

Guest Mike S

According to newspaper reports of the day and I quote "

Captain D R Llewellyn was found dead in his room at Army Staff Col. Camberley. He was holding a revolver and had been shot in the head. An Open verdict was returned .

His brother Lt Francis Carwithen Llewellyn was ,on 11th March 1939, found dead in woods at Court Colman with a bullet wound to the head .Verdict Accidental death

A third son of Col W H C Llewellyn, Captain Glyn Herbert Llewellyn was killed in action on D-Day"

3 hours ago, Guest Mike S said:

According to newspaper reports of the day and I quote "

Captain D R Llewellyn was found dead in his room at Army Staff Col. Camberley. He was holding a revolver and had been shot in the head. An Open verdict was returned .

His brother Lt Francis Carwithen Llewellyn was ,on 11th March 1939, found dead in woods at Court Colman with a bullet wound to the head .Verdict Accidental death

A third son of Col W H C Llewellyn, Captain Glyn Herbert Llewellyn was killed in action on D-Day"

Have you got any links or scans of them please?

2 hours ago, mike123 said:

Hello Jerry ,

The newspaper article can be found at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/viewer/bl/0000104/19411202/039/0003

Capt. Llewellyn is buried in All Saints Church Penyfai Glamorgan.Don't know where thee Iraq reference came from.

regards   Mike

Thanks Mike,

I see I have to register to read it!

I'll have to have another look for where I got the Iraq reference from

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.