Historical War Militaria Forum
Humberto Corado

Hauptsturmführer and Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Waldemar Riefkogel

Hello all,

I want to share the signed prewar DRL document of RK holder Hauptsturmführer and Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei Waldemar Riefkogel. the whole document have 7 signatures of Riefkogel and his DRL badge in bronze award document.

According Wikipedia he joined the State Police which was later incorporated into the SS and was issued the SS service number 229 338. He was later promoted to Untersturmführer (Second Lieutenant) in the 4th SS Polzei Division where he served in the 10th Company, 2nd SS Polzei Schützen Regiment.

Riefkogel was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd class in August 1941 and the 1st class award in January 1942.

He was awarded the Knight's Cross while in command of the 1st Company, 3rd SS Panzer Regiment, Totenkopf on the 11 July 1943. He was killed in action on the 30 July 1944 at Siedlce in Poland.

Cordial greetings,

Humberto

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Humberto

That is a very nice piece indeed.  I have an interest in wartime RKT signatures, and Waldemar Riefkogel can be considered a rare and seldomly encountered example.

I can add some additional information on Riefkogel:

From the Fuhrerliste:

Riefkogel, Waldemar     

Born: 07-01-13 Sarstedt, Kreis Hildesheim.

SS Nr: 229 338

Hstuf.       Chef,3./Pz.Rgt.3                    7.44 †  30- 07-44  Kisielany-Kuce

Ostuf.       Chef,1./Pz.Rgt.3                   7.43 

Ustuf.       10./Pol.Inf.Rgt.2                    8.41

From my personal files:

Promotions:

ca. 1935            Unteroffizier

00.00.1939 (?)    Feldwebel der Schutzpolizei

00.00.19__        Leutnant der Schutzpolizei         

05.01.1942 (?)    SS-Obersturmführer und Oberleutnant der Schutzpolizei (date suggested by historian Ignacio Arrondo)

09.11.1943        SS-Hauptsturmführer der Waffen-SS und Hauptmann der Schutzpolizei

Decorations & Awards:

11.07.1943         Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes as SS-Obersturmführer und Oberleutnant der Schutzpolizei and Fhr. 3.Kompanie / SS-Panzer-Regiment “Totenkopf” / SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division “Totenkopf”, Eastern Front (based on a recommendation dated 30.03.1943 and signed by Div. Kdr. Max Simon; approved 09.07.1943 by Generalleutnant Rudolf Schmundt, Chef des Heerespersonalamts)

12.01.1942         1939 Eisernes Kreuz I. Klasse

05.08.1941         1939 Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse

00.00.194?         Panzerkampfabzeichen in Silber (?)

00.00.194?         Verwundetenabzeichen, 1939 in Silber and/or Gold

Gravesite:  Kriegsgräberstätte in Pulawy, Poland (Block 2 / Row 25 / Grave 1944).

I hope the additional information might prove of interest.

Regards Richard.

Humberto,

Sorry my friend, I did miss your thread completely.

As Richard says, indeed a rare and seldom seen signature, and what can be better than his own paperwork including his signature and his pass photo.

A nice cath you made there.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Thank you very much Richard for the aditional info! I am glad that you liked the Riefkogel  document.

question: there was the Generalleutnant Rudolf Schmundt, Chef des Heerespersonalamts the officer in charge to approve any RK recommendation? at least at the RK level? who approved the other RK classes?? ( EichenlaubSchwertern  etc)

Thank you EJ for your kind words!

Humberto,

Sorry my friend, I did miss your thread completely.

As Richard says, indeed a rare and seldom seen signature, and what can be better than his own paperwork including his signature and his pass photo.

A nice cath you made there.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

question: there was the Generalleutnant Rudolf Schmundt, Chef des Heerespersonalamts the officer in charge to approve any RK recommendation? at least at the RK level? who approved the other RK classes?? ( EichenlaubSchwertern  etc)

Humberto

That is a good question.

I have no idea as to who exactly was 'authorised' to approve the Ritterkreuz, and it's subsequent higher awards.

I have checked several files of Waffen-SS RKT, and there was a long list of several different approving Officers mentioned.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on the awarding process?

Regards Richard.

I think the question remains in the air, and probably had several officials involved in granting the Knights Cross in an army  as immense as the German was in the WWII.

I wonder at what level Hitler was involved in the granting process.

Cordial greetings

Humberto

Humberto Corado:

Hello! Thank you for sharing your DLR document with the Forum, great from a RK holder.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

managed to rescue this before it was lost for ever

• Like 1

after gently cleaning with soapy water,it was that badly covered in muck you couldn't see the 4 copper engravings at all.rubbed half a lemon on so I could photograph inscriptions,then rinsed off again,immediately returned to the dull aged copper finish.

A very nice and interesting extra piece to this Waldemar Riefkogel thread.

Thanks for showing.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Hello,

I would be very interested in getting the opinion of other members of this signed envelope reportedly to be from Waldemar Riefkogel.  I am not an expert on wartime postal stamps nor SS unit stamps so I'm hoping someone can comment on the originality of this piece?  Real or fake?

Thank you,

Patric

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.