Historical War Militaria Forum
Kevin H

Show us your Stalingrad related IDs

HWMFBranding.png

Show us your Stalingrad related IDs

- Show us your Stalingrad related Documents

==============================================================

A fairly recent item into the collection is this Wehrpass to a medic in 24 Panzer Division and who was wounded in the push to Stalingrad.

Georg Stanisch originally joined the Heer in 1937 and served in Reiter-Regiment 2 which was a cavalry regiment of 1 Kavallerie-Division.  With this Regiment he fought in Poland in 1939 and in the West in 1940 after which it undertook occupation duties.

In December 1941 1 Kavallerie-Division underwent a major reorganisation and finally gave up the horse for tanks and became 24 Panzer Division with the soldier being assigned to the Stabs-Schwadron of II/Pz.Rgt 24.

The first formation of 24 Pz.Division was involved in the drive and subsequent fighting at Stalingrad and it was during this drive to the city that Stanisch was seriously wounded by schrapnel in his right leg on the 25th August 1942. For an excellent coverage of the combat on that day see Pages 62-68 of Jason Mark's superb Death Of The Leaping Horseman which covers the 24 Pz.Division at Stalingrad. On this day the division suffered 19 'all ranks' killed and 204 'all ranks' wounded, including Stabsarzt Dr Ernst Schumacher of Pz.Rgt 24, and one man missing. By this time Stanisch was a Sanitäts-Feldwebel.

He was wounded seriously enough that he was eventually discharged from Wehrmacht service on 4th October 1943.

During his service Stanisch was awarded...

EK II
EK I
PAB Silber
Wound Badge in Silver

A nice little extra with this Wehrpass is that it records that as Stanisch was assigned to a cavalry unit he was trained in the use of the cavalry sword - listed on his weapon training page (Pg 20) is Säbel.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

There were a a couple of pieces of paperwork also included with the Wehrpass and also this Fährerschein. It bears the signature of Major Hugo Burgsthaler who commanded II/Pz.Rgt 24 and won the DKiG on 20th September 1942.

Aah, so it was you that got this! I was kicking myself for missing it on Janssen's website. I've been after a Pz.Rgt.24 WP/SB for years and never been successful. Nice to see that it went to a good home. 

Jason

Kevin,

I saw that one too when it was just freshly posted on Peter's website.

Thank you for showing such a great combat medic Wehrpaß here on the forum.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Very nice Pz.Rgt.24 Wegrpass, Kevin. That wound just may have actually saved his life.

It's been months since I've had the time to browse any dealer sites - had I seen this one I would have gone for it myself!

Great score - congrats!!

Rob

Here is an item I picked up a couple of years ago. It is to a member of the Heer Administration. The Soldbuch was opened in 1939 and he served in Verpflegungsamt 4. What is interesting is that the slip of paper regarding the issue of a pistol on Page 8c is dated 16th October 1942. It bears the Feldpost Number of Verpflegungsamt 4 which was a unit lost at Stalingrad.

This particular official reached the rank of Stabsintendant which was the equivalent of a Hauptmann and would go on to serve in Prague & Dresden. He won both the KvK II & I Klasse mit Schwertern.

Interesting Soldbuch. Some of these guys worked in the hinterland west of Stalingrad, but most were west of the Don or in the Kalmuck Steppe south of the city. His lack of wounds suggests he was outside the pocket. 

Jason

Hi people, hope you like this. Ernst Hinrichsen served with Pz.Reg 36 (Panzer-Regiment 36). He saw combat in Poland, Netherlands, France, Yugoslavia, Russia & Germany. He was involved at Stalingrad. He was awarded the Oct 1938 medal, Ost medal, Drivers badge in bronze, KVK2, EK2, BWB, SWB & PKA in silver. Stewy

• Like 1

Hi Stew,

Yes, I like that one a lot ! Saw it when it was for sale.

That man did see a lot of Europe with uncle Adolf's "Reisebüro"

Glad to see that it went to a good home.

Thanks for showing so many pages and entries, a pleasure to look at.

Best regards

Eric-Jan

Stewy

That has got to be one of the most well filled in Wehrpass's I have ever seen!

With the Stalingrad element alone, the detailed entries concerning his areas of operations ensure that the research opportunities for this Wehrpass are amazing!

Great Wehrpass with a nice portrait photo to boot.

Regards Richard.

My 2nd Stalingrad soldbuch, I thought was a good catch for a Stalingrad related item (even though a 2nd copy), I thought not too bad even without the connection to Stalingrad!
Issued early in 1943, the first one being likely lost or damaged in Stalingrad. Unfortunately details seem to be lacking for earlier on, as no entries for leave, wounds etc. before 1943.
So just going by his awards mainly, and his 1st leaves in 1943 look to be in recuperation from a wounding or sickness. His first leave I think is “Genesungsurlaub”, (leave for after hospital stay), not sure of the second leave leading into directly after.

The book did come with some (abschrift) period printed copies of awards which match the awards in the soldbuch.
He earned the Inf. St. Abz. and EK2 at Stalingrad and quite possibly close combat days towards his CCC. This was awarded late in 1943 around the time that most CCC ,(earned earlier in the war) were awarded.
No clues I can see to how he escaped , maybe he had a leave after winning the EK and Assault medals just before the encirclement. Or maybe he was sick or wounded later on, and flown out.

He was with the 371st Inf. Div. which was situated on the southern corner of the city during the battle (see map)
A real bonus I think is an abschrift document for the EK2 ,which was authorised by Generalleutnant Richard Stempel: commander of the 371.
Though this document does not have his signature or such, I still think it’s pretty neat.
Leutnant Joachim Stempel’s account of his last meeting with his father at Stalingrad is pretty moving, and worthy of respect.

Any other info gladly received, or anything I may have read wrong as well.
sorry for the poor quality pics of the Abschrift award documents.

• Like 1

Nicely filled in Soldbuch. There are SB issued in 1939 with less entries than this one.

As you say, we have no real way of knowing how he escaped from Stalingrad - on leave, sent on a course, injuries/sickness etc - but either way this is still a great example.

Can only agree with Kevin, for me also very interesting is that the 371. Infanterie-Division was created at the Truppenübungsplatz Beverloo here in Belgium and left not long afterwards to the Soviet-Union and Stalingrad to meet there fate. Thanks for sharing. Hope we may see later more Stalingrad items from you!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.