Historical War Militaria Forum

Good day Gents I would like to share my most recent acquisition a few weeks a go I was touring around the net looking for Canadian Mk II helmets to add to my collection and came upon a dealers site in the UK I had never been to before with a nice selection of commonwealth helmets as I was scrolling down through the helmets for sale section I came upon this remarkable 44 dated HSAT and it stopped me dead in my tracks.

IMO it is one of the nicest HSATS I have seen for sale in some time it retains all most all of its original dark brown paint and textured finish. 

The liner was manufactured by BMB and is in a nice large size of 7 3/4 the crown pad is still present with the faint out line of chalk around it the sorbo rubber is still quite pliable and supple and IMO the harness is spot on all and all a very nice helmet that has seen very little use.

As I stated earlier the helmet stopped me in my tracks and what caught my immediate attention was the condition of the net in particular the scrim which is very vibrant in color this caused me to pause it wasn't that I could find any direct fault with either it was the over all condition that had me in ah. Needless to say I am quite stoked the helmet arrived a few days ago in the mail and IMO It is an excellent example of an HSAT that will be very hard to upgrade from .

I have done some further research and have talked to fellow collectors here in Canada and the UK concerning the net and scrim the consensus is so far that the scrim can not definitively be pegged down to war time applied this particular type of multi colored burlap scrim made its debut late in the war and was used on the larger camouflage nets on mobile equipment and gun emplacements to name a few this type of scrim was also used post war for some years till the war time supplies were depleted

The net it self is good and was mid to late war manufactured the scrim has been tied down and woven through this net for many years and IMO takes nothing away from the helmet it self.

There is a very good possibility that this net and scrim was late war applied as the condition and wear are consistent with the wear on the helmet so it can stay in place right wear it is as I am quite happy with it and feel it has been on this helmet for many years and it displays rather nice.  there was some thought that the drawing on the dome pad very well could have been a tactical map this is not the case it would appear to be a drawing of a cottage or house on a cliff face with a small sail boat in the distance and gulls on the horizon.

Perhaps it was drawn from boredom a soldier thinking about home or perhaps a child that has found a new medium to doodle on we may never really know.

I have used a mixture of the sellers and my own images in this thread thanx for looking any and all comments are welcome.

Regards Mark K 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

I know who you got this from.

He is a really knowledgible person when talking helmets and a nice chap as well.

He has some great helmets for sale.

Great buy :thumbup:

Thanks for the response Druid and you are correct Aaron does know his helmets and is a decent gent to talk to and do business with .

I plan on purchasing a few more helmets from him in the near future.

Regards Mark K

What a beautiful and amazing looking helmet. So we cannot say for a definite that the net and scrim are war time applied but also could be done just after the war? Any way, that's just one great helmet. Thanks Mark for sharing it with us and being so informative towards us.

• Like 1

Thanks Bart I am of the same opinion on the net and scrim but regardless of when it was applied early post war or late war it is a stunning example and it was love at first site

Regards Mark K

What a beautiful and amazing looking helmet. So we cannot say for a definite that the net and scrim are war time applied but also could be done just after the war? Any way, that's just one great helmet. Thanks Mark for sharing it with us and being so informative towards us.

And thank you Bart for the most part yours is the only real response I have had about the scrim and net I thought it would have generated more discussion on two other forums it was posted to.

Regards Mark K

Dear Mark, no not a problem, I am always a little more caution when it comes to such extra material which is easily addable. Especially when I am not capable to know whether the material used is post-war or war-time. Isn't there a way to find that out? 

The signs of the net or at the very least a net are all good IMHO and it certainly has had a net on it for a long time in its life.  Always hard to be certain when the two were mated but it is very likely that the net and helmet have always been together.  A very nice example of a very desirable helmet, looks great Mark and a great pick up.

The drawing on the central rubber pad is interesting and looks like the white cliffs of dover or the a similar location on the other side of the channel perhaps,  I would suggest Bruneval except the dates are wrong, but something of that ilk from D Day perhaps.

Many thanks for the replies Jerry we may never know for positive when they were married together but I have accepted that fact and new from the get go it would be a tough call

Regards Mark K

As to the drawing on the central dome pad Jerry this was my first inclination as well that it was possibly the cliffs of Dover the thought had not crossed my mind that perhaps it was drawn by a soldier on the continent in France a most interesting and plausible theory .

Bart as to being able to date the scrim on the net conclusively to WW II applied I feel this could be a daunting task we do know for fact that the paras did apply multi colored burlap scrim to there helmets as well as many Canadians Did to there Mk II AND Mk III for the D-Day invasion but I feel the helmet and scrim do not show enough patina wear and age to support this so it would very likely have been applied later in the war and or early post war as it shows only minimal wear to the helmet and net and very little soiling to the scrim.

Regards Mark

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.