Historical War Militaria Forum
Dave M

Home Front: 1939 to 1945 Helmets

'little doubt about who used this one.

A new addition...pulpware-style MkII. Not a hint of blue (for Incident Officer) and an intriguing bracket on the top......

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2016 at 6:03 PM, Jerry B said:

Very nice.  Interesting that no home guard districts used the letter V as their designation.

That's a bit special that one.

17 hours ago, 2 Black Bands said:

'need to kick-start this thread....here's a new one.....re-used from Casualty Services, Senior Supervisory grade (Ambulance Officer)...let's hope someone finds this one interesting...as I played one of my aces with the stunning Incident Officer one above  and apart from Mr Lid and Bart all I got was tumbleweed!!!!:confused:

As Aaron, already said, stunning example. Do know that more members view or give a Like than actually commenting. However do know that this is a great reference thread for Home Front Helmets! Your posts are much appreciated.

On 06/01/2017 at 4:23 PM, 2 Black Bands said:

'little doubt about who used this one.

A new addition...pulpware-style MkII. Not a hint of blue (for Incident Officer) and an intriguing bracket on the top......

The bracket looks similar to those used to hold a pump?  Probably for a lamp I would guess.

Here's a nice one....."Aluminium" (not "silver") coloured Div Fire Staff helmet....administrative (blue bands, not red) showing current rank (one single thin blue ring) whilst the previous rank (1 thin, 1 thick blue band) is evident under the silver paint. It's difficult to see if the earlier rank was applied to a Khaki helmet but the silver paint job is not 100% and khaki paint shows in the gaps....either way, this one was once khaki.....

• Like 2

Top of the Casualty Services tree.....'nice 3 diamonder. Not the most visually impressive but quite hard to find.....and completes my 1, 2 and 3 diamond CS run.

• Like 1

If it wouldn't have had the all singing all dancing diamonds, I might have thought it was one of those Irish CS marked helmets.

But yours is lovely.

'Interesting view....I wondered why there was a smell of paint!

Seriously, all three of my CS diamond'd-up helmets have very different fonts....and I guess this one's just different..

......apart from that....I was given a tip off about it by a very respected collector........

good innit?

My double marked AFS, with UK and Irish markings falls into that category.

• Thanks 1

...nice double-AFS helmet ...and well done for capturing it so well in the pic. I find it hard to get the camera in just the right position but that's one of the benefits of digital photography nowadays...you can just snap 50 pics and hope one of them has the right angle...AND it doesn't cost a fortune at "BonusPrint"...AND you don't have to wait for 10 days to be disappointed!!

..sticking with your FIRE theme, here's a more blatant ghosting...underlying red (fire-fighting) band beneath the blue of an administrator....probably more wear'n'tear than "ghosting" I guess

• Like 1

Does anyone know what happened to all of the cork London Fire Brigade helmets from the Blitz period?  I've been looking for one for a few years now, but have only seen a single example come up for sale, and that seller decided to keep it.  :wacko:

Interesting question. I understand that the cork helmets were generally preferred by most firemen....and Ive seen pics of LFB staff with cork helmets alongside steel helmeted ones. And I know that cork type helmets came back in after the war......but where did they all go DURING the war?????? It's a very very interesting question........

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.