Argunners Magazine
Dave M

Home Front: 1939 to 1945 Helmets

Not a helmet, but a once in a lifetime career find.  There were a lot of other nice finds I made that are not  mentioned in the article as that was from early on in the excavation.

Also I got home last Friday to find a copy of a book in my mail for which I had written the pottery reports for it c. 20 years back. 

I had no idea it had finally been published.

https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/cille-pheadair.html

Please login or register to see this attachment.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

What a nice surprise for for you.

It really was a great surprise.

33 minutes ago, 2 Black Bands said:

Any luck with that Helmet trip to Cardiff JB?

No mate, working away all week every week and too lazy/tired/busy  to travel there.

...well, I think sufficient "Respect Time" has passed and Jerry's had his 15 minutes of fame 😀 perhaps we can return to Home Fronters...

Here's a nice two incher Ambulance. As we all know this rank marking was "officially" restricted London......and again "officially" didn't last the war....but hey, rules are there to be broken.

Sorry about the wording...I'm just finding more and more of my lids from other Forums cropping up in other places without permission / reference to me

...someone ought to write a book on these things.......😉

Jerry, how was Cardiff?

• Like 1

Well, you mentioned one thing I already know (someone should write a book 🙂 ) and three things I didn't up till now so thanks for that.

Very nice hat too.

"Hat"?.....that's like calling a Knights Cross a "necklace"....!  🙂

Seriously, I hadn't appreciated I'd imparted so much in there so thanks for the feedback. The 2 inch stripe was used in the London area till mid '42 when the new markings went National...Diamonds were killed off in the Provinces and Stripes pushed out everywhere...BUT the ol' 2 Incher didn't feature in the new "rules" tho it was permitted to be retained. So it's ASSUMED all two inch striped lids were from London (and they almost certainly are although nothing would surprise me!)...and that one will never find a diamond-painted helmet as they were ALL repainted with stripes...which of course is soooooo wrong

I have been known to call a Knights Cross a necklace.

That's more info I didn't know before so thanks again.

Ha ha....

...of course, on some Forums you'd HAVE to call it by it's German name or you'd be admonished...or possibly drummed-out of the Corp....

I think it's "Kreuzneckenhausenbigswingingdick"...but I may be wrong......."necklace" is close enough!  🙂

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.