Historical War Militaria Forum
Dave M

Home Front: 1939 to 1945 Helmets

18 hours ago, AJMSinclair said:

*my helmet

My understanding is this:

1. smooth, green painted helmets, with or without holes punched through the brim either side of the chinstrap fittings were for home front use.

2. textured green helmets were issued to the regular army and home guard.

3. textured green helmets with holes punched through the brim were issued to the home guard.

Therefore I would suggest your helmet was for early war home front use but who knows, perhaps someone in the home guard wore it until a textured khaki helmet was issued.

• Like 1

...let's get back to pretty pictures......well, pretty-ish.....

"ARP"-marked helmets aren't actually common...one can only assume this came from a Hospital, a Company starting with "H", area "H"....or perhaps the wearer was the Head..........or he looked after the Hippos at the zoo......or cared for the pitch at Headingley.......or worked in Harrowgate....or his name was Henry........who knows?!!!!

...one thing's for sure, someone would try to sell it as coming from the Houses of Parliament!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

UPDATE!!!   "CWD"...I've just come across a Chemical Weapons Officer in a wartime Home Front document.....I really didn't think the "C" word would have featured during the war....preferring "GAS"....but there it is in B&W....so if there were CWOs..............

Here's an interesting one.........

A "pulpware" helmet, almost certainly a "Cromwell", in colour and letter'd-up (as youngsters probably say).... These things were 99% black (as sold) and were private-purchase items made as a way around the Govts metal sales ban...not, as is often believed, for the Bomb Disposal or anti-sparking requirements. These ones were made from compressed paper pulp although other materials were used (all covered in a forthcoming book I understand 🙂  )

There's a stenciled "1" to the rear.....

"EC"?...you tell me.......

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 6:56 PM, 2 Black Bands said:

"EC"?...you tell me.......

Edie's Cafe maybe?

I was told about the anti-sparking thing with these so thanks for putting me right.

That’s not to say wearers didn’t benefit from the reduced risk of sparking.....I’ve just not yet seen any marketing stuff extolling the virtues of reduced metal content....the fact is, the Govt restricted all metal helmet sales and something had to fill the gap......

• Thanks 1

Electrical Controller/contractor

Emergency Controller

Eastern Counties/command....

Interesting.....thanks Jerry. The only “EC” I’ve come across in period books and Circulars etc is Emergency Committee.......but nothing would surprise me.....

GPO MKII no.2 C, JS&S 1941 shell CCL 1940 MKII size 7 liner

• Like 1

'don't see too many of these...Chief Fire Officer (Industrial ARP....1-5 major appliances or Hose Parties....and Deputy of course). 'nice underlying over-painted shield-shaped transfer with a single "F"........

The markings changed as the responsibility (Appliances / Hose Parties) grew...but you all know that anyway......   🙂

• Like 1

added M for Messenger and A for Ambulance recently as well as another NFS.....the latter came from wales, (well actually they all did), but it has signs of two district decals, but both are so rubbed the number/s are gone, that said it came from a town fire station within District 22, the Welsh district number I am missing.

Thanks for showing them Jerry, I suppose 20 and 21 were local to you. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Thanks for showing them Jerry, I suppose 20 and 21 were local to you. 

Thanks tony

20 was Llanishen in Cardiff, my home town and 21 was Sketty in Swansea, whilst 22 was Colwyn Bay but I believe that it covered all of north Wales.  I have to admit to never seeing a map showing the extent of the three Welsh districts.  There were only three districts for all of Wales with the two, in the South East and South West being the two most populous parts of Wales, whilst Colwyn was central to the North.  I assume that all the fire brigades within each district wore their district number.   I previously shared a list of the districts for England & Wales whilst Scotland had its own system with geographical designations rather than numbers.

Thanks for the info.

Did you share the districts for England and Wales here? I'm always on the look out for district 37 but when one turns up I'm usually having to spend my money on something else.

I could not find it but Ade sent me this which shows them

I can repost the list when I have time to find it.

...do you think that there was a large scale re-badging of Fire Force numbers for Operation "Colour Scheme"?.....I can't imagined they re-badged all the lids that moved South.....but I bet someone suggested / questioned it!

...just to keep the interest levels high....well, medium......well, OK they can't get a lot lower but hey..."Mr Persistent"...that's what they called me when I was drowning and I saw a straw float past........well, I say a "straw".......

...anyway, yellow ones are always a bit different...which makes them massively interesting right?..........

I'll get my coat.........

Here's another....."Rescue" obviously, but one doesn't see "2 inchers" (the stripe) very often - Clerk of Works or Depot Foreman (or at least that's what the recently published book says!  🙂  )

• Like 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.