Historical War Militaria Forum
Dave M

Home Front: 1939 to 1945 Helmets

....and here's one with a (actually 2) metal "M"s attached. Very well made letters attached directly to the outer shell i.e. there's no holes thru the helmet. I can't make out how they are held in place....nor can I figure out what was wrong with white paint......

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Thinking about it some more.....officially if it were to represent a Company name the role of the wearer (FAP, W, A etc etc) SHOULD accompany the company name. I’m sticking with Messenger...perhaps one with too much time on his/her hands.....

Here's one from the book (still available, tho' over half sold now...hint hint). This has to be one of the most rare ones....DC's were Scottish.....there were only 5 Districts and 7 job holders...so possibly/probably just one of 7. But rarity is an interesting thing....if you have a Fire Chiefs lid from a small factory ARP Fire team it's even rarer...there was only ONE chief and only ONE factory by that name...so what may appear to be "just a Factory helmet" could be a totally one-off....and they don't have to be "Chiefs"......a company (with badged / company-marked lids) with a small Industrial ARP team may have just 2 Messengers......(but their helmets would be pretty dull).....

....that's made you think hasn't it?

• Thanks 1

What do you think guys, please?

• Thanks 1

Very nice.....I think I know this lot as Seddon Atkinson.....’pretty sure they’re the truck company. Their Factory Fire Brigade was affiliated to/with the NFS

• Like 1

'don't see many of these around...Deputy Fire Guard Officer (according to a recently published book! 🙂  ...well over half sold now, Chritmas is coming....no-re-print...well received...first of it's type.....Authors are great guys..... )

It looks to have been re-painted (the white bit) a long time ago, around the black bits. Annoyingly the inner rim stamps aren't clear under the paint...but it's probably BMB....or Harrison.....or.....

Can't say I've seen many FG helmet markings other than 1/2" bands, so interesting to see the wide 1 1/2 " band too.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.