Historical War Militaria Forum
Dave M

Home Front: 1939 to 1945 Helmets

I assume that would only be on the mild steel variation ?

Regards Mark

Yes, usually you see it on the rimless homefront helmet BMB made and you see similar on the home front Zuckerman helmet,where my example has the size M and the makers mark visible on the exterior.  Asyou state Mark, only to be seen I think on the softer home front helmets.

As with all the items we collect, you can't beat a known history as to who had them and why.  Yours has a stone cold history, mine does not so if I claimed it as army, sooner or later someone would give me a hard time over that.

PS did you see my Liverpool Pals badge I posted?  I also got that today.

Morning gents.

Jerry im not saying the REME officer did not get a new helmet when transfered to the home gaurd.It looks like an ARMY helmet but as you say the home gaurd were issued with rough texture paint which makes sense.

The helmet is in storage and i will take pictures today if i can.Here is one jerry very simler to yours......

http://www.ww2britishhelmets.co.uk/helmets-for-sale/mk2-no-2c-home-guard

There is a gentleman who could answer our questions as i do not know enough on british helmets his name is  Aaron Delaney from this web site

http://www.ww2britishhelmets.co.uk/home

I know Aaron from other forums and he is indeed the "expert" on these and I take my lead in id'ing this as a HG helmet from observing his comments on similar helmets in the past.

Jerry been to my parants today and i dug out the reme officers helmet which came from his trunk.As mentioned i had his wartime beret and the bayonet which dous have a home gaurd frog in leather.

The helmet has the same holes as yours plus one on other side.Also it is magnetic so i was wrong it must be home gaurd issue.

Anyway this is how it came undisturbed for years and not been messed with.

Rough texture paint with his net which has never been off.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 2

A lovely helmet Druid the early war time woven net is a killer BTW I must say I was waiting to here back on this particular helmet and would have been surprised to see it manufactured from combat grade manganese instead of mild steel IMO this takes nothing away from this Mk II and I would be happy to display it in my collection.

Regards Mark     

Jerry been to my parants today and i dug out the reme officers helmet which came from his trunk.As mentioned i had his wartime beret and the bayonet which dous have a home gaurd frog in leather.

The helmet has the same holes as yours plus one on other side.Also it is magnetic so i was wrong it must be home gaurd issue.

Anyway this is how it came undisturbed for years and not been messed with.

Rough texture paint with his net which has never been off.

A stunning lid mate and as Mark posted, the net is fantastic, what a great combination and with known history.  I'd love to see the Beret and Bayonet if possible.

A stunning lid mate and as Mark posted, the net is fantastic, what a great combination and with known history.  I'd love to see the Beret and Bayonet if possible.

Promise jerry i will post the beret and bayonet as soon as possible.

Jerry you will love the beret mate and as i can remember its 1943 dated with a nice osd cap badge.

Whats a shame jerry is that in that trunk which i laid my eyes on was a big wooden sign REME, all his webbing, uniform and all sorts of bits from being in the army.His beret is really nice mate being an officer.

Adding a detail of the BMB mark showing through on the exterior and of the filled in holes.

That BMB stamp is quite clear someone got a little over zealous with a punch and hammer LOL thanks for the additional photos Jerry.

Regards Mark

If you get light/shadow correct, it is very clear, better than the pics shows.

Anyone seen the infilled and re drilled holes before?

I have seen one that has had rivets placed in the holes, but never seen them filled with weld and re drilled before.

The Druid:

Hello! I just finished viewing all posts, thank you fro starting the topic. So many execllent helmets on display.

Best regards,

John

Another home front helmet, this time for a Warden.  Though not clear, it is probably a 39 dated BMB.  No makers mark on the liner, only the size.

• Like 1

As previously mentioned after mid 1942 G.S.W. started to manufacturer a mild steel variation of the Mk II for the ARP and Civil Defense these will be found with welded chinstrap lugs and will be so marked as G.S.W. DP&H this particular Mk II has been brush over painted in flat black and has an odd hand painted flash to the Saint John Ambulance Brigade ( S.J.A.B ) all other examples I have seen are white and bare the Brigades coat of arms on the front of the helmet as I really have a fondness for one ups this one was a must for my collection.

Regards Mark 

• Like 2

Next up a 1941 dated C.L./C. flashed with the red letter F these were intended to be used by the A.R.P. Fire Services and are quite hard to come by here in Canada.

I thought a little on this last night and it is quite odd all the C.D issued helmets I have in my collection and there is only one Mk II that is manufactured from mild steel.

Regards Mark 

• Like 2

Thanks Druid one more before work this is the most common of A.R.P. flashed helmets found here in Canada my understanding is that they are rather hard to come by in the UK and Warden helmets are more predominant.

Warden helmets are rather hard to find here for some reason I do believe there were far less flashed with the W as you see them rarely come up for sale.

This particular A.R.P. Mk II is interesting in its own right as the shell is completely void of a manufacturers mark but the flattened chinstrap retaining rivets and the spot welds on the rim joint on the rear would suggests they were manufactured by G.S.W. these are thought to be reject helmet bodies that did not meet the governments final inspection these again are constructed from Manganese instead of mild steel.

Regards Mark   

• Like 2

Kozowy1967:

Hello! Thank you for sharing your fantastic helmets with the Forum, enjoyed reading the background inorfmation.

Best regards,

John

Great to see you added your home front lids Mark.  I really like the ARP marked example, as I mentioned to you elsewhere, in the UK they tend to be marked W for Warden.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.