Historical War Militaria Forum
Dave M

Home Front: 1939 to 1945 Helmets

Those are some great helmets Black Bands, thanks for posting them.  So were the sister nuns?  Or was that a name given to another organization?

Thanks for that information Black Bands, I did not know that.  So Tiinlids is correct then about the "Sisters F.A.P." helmet being as good as it gets. :smile:

Ah...now maybe you'll need to wait for a book to come out for that....

When though, that is the question.  

I have heard ancient myths about books coming out on MKII and other Tommy helmets, perhaps one day all will become true.....LOL

:question:

Got this pretty cheap, & when you see the pictures you'll understand why.

An incident officer, which the blue cover donates, or should I say what's left of it. But I got it just out of interest to see how the cover was made, & what was underneath. Had read somewhere that the first incident officers were Police, but I think as time went by the ARP took a bigger role. As no doubt the wardens service was interconnected with all other services like NFS, Rescue & the like.

&, hidden underneath is an post warden.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Like 1

Never seen one of these before and even in this condition a great lid to have, and cheap is even better.

Very well done Mr Lid......I still don't know how this slipped through my fingers but it's gone to a safe home.........they are indeed like hens teeth.....'rough but beautiful.......

The IO's role was initially one taken up mostly by Wardens...with IO posts being the local Wardens Post (as long as there was a phone). Between '40-'43 they were drawn from the Police and later they became a force/service in their own right and so ended the war with a mix of Wardens and Police......I think......

I've seen a couple of covers over the years..... but I haven't seen the blue net which was introduced to replace them..does anyone out there have one / seen one?

Jerry, even in this condition I thought it might be of interest, as 2BB said, 'rare as hens teeth '

Thanks for the input.

• Like 1

Very nice.  As Jerry said, even in that condition it is a rare bird to have and would certainly fit well in your collection TinLid.

'never been a great believer in the ol' "if-it's-yellow-it's-gas-detector-paint" theory.....but I picked this one up for the yellow square...shape and colour only....'couldn't recall seeing (or having) a yellow square.....but when it came it looked like the paint was applied with a spatula rather than a brush and it got me thinking....was the tin of yellow paint just thick.....or could it be something else???

It's an old lid...'nothing special......1938...and I have to say, I know nothing about the viscosity of the so called gas detector paint........'any thoughts?

• Like 1

Dear 2 Black Bands, I'm sorry I still didn't have the chance earlier to say Welcome to Historical War Militaria Forum. So herewith, a warm welcome to HWMF. I'm happy to see you actively posting and taking part in the community, Aaron and Jerry are two great persons to speak and discuss with. Aaron, thanks for posting this rare example of a incident officer's helmet.

The yellow paint/gas detection paint might have reacted to the black paint if it wasn't hard after it's repaint. Or they applied two or more coats of yellow to cover the black and if it wasn't dry between coats the paint will separate like that.

Either way a nice and as usual unknown marking.

This is not mine, it is actually for sale on a dealer site at the moment, but I thought I'd post it here for reference.  The listing describes it as being for the "London Passenger Transport Board".

This is not mine, it is actually for sale on a dealer site at the moment, but I thought I'd post it here for reference.  The listing describes it as being for the "London Passenger Transport Board".

I was tempted to buy this as the price seemed sensible for an uncommon example, unless of course these are common  with this marking?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.